Middle Intercourse Island superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Just found this comment on 3RRR's page:

Today, 3RRR is Australia's most well known community broadcasting station and has the continuing involvement of RMIT and Melbourne University following the withdrawal of most of the tertiary institutions in the early eighties.

Take that, Monash!
They probably withdrew to make their own station.... :wink:

Dammit, irfanview's playing silly buggers now. And I'm zonked... might have to have an early night! :ohmy:

I was up till all bloody hours, trying to have conversations about particle physics and nanotechnology and quantum mechanics and the nature of human society and so on and so forth at a friend's housewarming... my head hurts, and I wasn't drinking. :lol:

Welcome back, Jen! :wave:

AIM is ten thousand times better than MSN. Or at least my ancient version of AIM is. I hear the recent versions suck so I haven't upgraded.

Alisaura said:

They probably withdrew to make their own station.... :wink:

Meanwhile, Melbourne University had the good sense to stick with a good thing. :wink:

Dammit, irfanview's playing silly buggers now. And I'm zonked... might have to have an early night! :ohmy:

I was up till all bloody hours, trying to have conversations about particle physics and nanotechnology and quantum mechanics and the nature of human society and so on and so forth at a friend's housewarming... my head hurts, and I wasn't drinking. :lol:

I won't get an early night - I've uni work to do that I intended to do during the day, but of course, that never happens! :happy:

And :lol: that sounds awesome.

i will just skip messaging again like i did a while back, when im online i usually end up pretending to be off line because i have too many stalkers anyway , so fuck it all!

:lol: V/Line have carriages with the classification BS.

Apparently B stands for economy class seating, and the carriages are of the S type, so they end up being the BS class ...

Axver said:
Welcome back, Jen! :wave:

AIM is ten thousand times better than MSN. Or at least my ancient version of AIM is. I hear the recent versions suck so I haven't upgraded.
I wish I could downgrade... I used to prefer AIM to MSN too, but AIM 6 sucks, and most of the people I chat to now are on MSN and/or Google talk anyway...

Smiley showers?? WTF, people?? :rolleyes:

Alisaura said:

I wish I could downgrade... I used to prefer AIM to MSN too, but AIM 6 sucks, and most of the people I chat to now are on MSN and/or Google talk anyway...

i remember when i used to use ICQ. does that even exist anymore??

Axver said:
And :lol: that sounds awesome.
It was awesome... the guy I was talking to is doing a PhD and lecturing at LaTrobe, and has spent the last couple of weeks doing experiments at the Synchrotron ... ! I never did physics at school so I don't know much about it (except through Michael Chrichton books), but it was great fun.

Note: Try not to use the sunscreens that boast of "ultrafine particles" or something... :yikes:
There's no legislation for nano stuff but companies are researching it and making products with it and selling them. No one knows what could happen if all those nano particles that get absorbed wind up lodged in your brain or something.

Alisaura said:

I took one look at a screenshot of AIM 6 and there was no way I was upgrading. My AIM is version 5.9, and it has a cracked version of DeadAIM so that I get tabbed windows. It's Firefoxtastic.

Smiley showers? I've no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound good at all.

And I'm told Google Talk rules all, so I'll give it a try someday.

Alisaura said:
It was awesome... the guy I was talking to is doing a PhD and lecturing at LaTrobe, and has spent the last couple of weeks doing experiments at the Synchrotron ... ! I never did physics at school so I don't know much about it (except through Michael Chrichton books), but it was great fun.

Ooh, cool. Certainly sounds well beyond me though - I haven't done a thing in the sciences since the end of grade nine! I've always been a Humanities guy.

Speaking of LaTrobe, thanks to the Melbourne Model putting my favourite lecturer out of a job, he's now at LaTrobe. :angry:

Note: Try not to use the sunscreens that boast of "ultrafine particles" or something... :yikes:
There's no legislation for nano stuff but companies are researching it and making products with it and selling them. No one knows what could happen if all those nano particles that get absorbed wind up lodged in your brain or something.

That sounds really unpleasant. I'll avoid that!

What shits me is that apparently no sunblock is advertised as being beyond SPF 30 now. But I need SPF 45 or 50!

So, back to my running commentary on Screwtape's tracklist.

The second disc is very good, it probably does a better job of creating and sustaining atmosphere than the first disc. It suits its title, The Arctic Circle. Thing is, I just don't enjoy the music as much as the first disc! I'm just finishing Always Forever Now, and it's one of only three songs so far that I've seriously liked, along with Plainsong and Heroine.

Axver said:
Smiley showers? I've no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound good at all.

And I'm told Google Talk rules all, so I'll give it a try someday.
Thank god you can turn the smiley showers off. :crack:

My only gripe with Google Talk (as an IM program - I prefer it to Skype for internet phone calls) is that there's no multi-person chat feature... that I'm aware of, anyway.

Wow, just saw an ad for U23D on TV! "Most acclaimed concert film of all time"...? Well, I guess it got better reviews than R&H :wink:

Wow, if they're splashing out on ads to actually promote this thing, the run might last longer than a fortnight...

Axver said:
Ooh, cool. Certainly sounds well beyond me though - I haven't done a thing in the sciences since the end of grade nine! I've always been a Humanities guy.

Speaking of LaTrobe, thanks to the Melbourne Model putting my favourite lecturer out of a job, he's now at LaTrobe. :angry:

What shits me is that apparently no sunblock is advertised as being beyond SPF 30 now. But I need SPF 45 or 50!
Does it help to put SPF 30 on twice?

That's a bugger about your lecturer.

You probably would have enjoyed the part of the conversation after we moved to the fire (I wanted to replace the cigarette smoke in my hair and clothes with wood smoke) and three of us started talking about the ethics of inventing things (and possibly withholding them on moral grounds)... which moved on to how people think and whether that's changed very much over time (it hasn't, fundamentally).

I think I will have to leave you with Screwtape's playlist... are you writing all this in his thread, at least? :wink:

Alisaura said:

Thank god you can turn the smiley showers off. :crack:

My only gripe with Google Talk (as an IM program - I prefer it to Skype for internet phone calls) is that there's no multi-person chat feature... that I'm aware of, anyway.

I don't think I've participated in a multi-person chat in years, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue for me. How is Google Talk better than Skype for Internet phone calls? The only time I've had trouble with Skype is calling New Zealand - audio quality has been crap in those cases.

Wow, just saw an ad for U23D on TV! "Most acclaimed concert film of all time"...? Well, I guess it got better reviews than R&H :wink:

Wow, if they're splashing out on ads to actually promote this thing, the run might last longer than a fortnight...

:ohmy: Clearly they haven't heard of Hannah Montana! :lol:

:wave:

I still have a cold, but it's not quite as bad as it was yesterday. Slept in til 3, had spinach and cheese pide for dinner, and have been playing an old Midway arcade game called Root Beer Tapper to pass the time away.

Ali, SA is SA. The showdown is on (the most boring game in all of AFL!) and I've been inside basically all day. Hopefully I can make it to TAFE tomorrow. Except I've got heaps of shit due this week... perhaps I can prolong this illness. :hmm:

Alisaura said:

Does it help to put SPF 30 on twice?

I just apply it a bit more frequently. As it is, I'm pretty bad with putting on sunblock. I hate the bloody stuff. I suppose when you need to use it as much as I do, you'll either get used to it or grow to hate it. The latter's happened to me! Damn albinism.

You probably would have enjoyed the part of the conversation after we moved to the fire (I wanted to replace the cigarette smoke in my hair and clothes with wood smoke) and three of us started talking about the ethics of inventing things (and possibly withholding them on moral grounds)... which moved on to how people think and whether that's changed very much over time (it hasn't, fundamentally).

I think I will have to leave you with Screwtape's playlist... are you writing all this in his thread, at least? :wink:

Ooh, yeah, that would have been pretty interesting, for sure. :uo:

His thread? I'm just going by the usual philosophy of late, of jotting down thoughts in the postwhorehouse and expecting the person to come back to it. :wink:

I plan to link him to where I started.

mysterious_jen said:
ok i finally got off my arse and had a look at dessert island, the only one i would even bother with so far is pfan's.

His was alright; when I listened to it earlier, I found it a bit better to what I expected. I forgot to award it a letter grade when I reviewed it. I think I'll give him a B-. Screwtape ... I'm tossing between A or A-.

mysterious_jen said:
the rolling stones movie that has just come out is supposed to be pretty good, and is getting lots of advertising.

I see one big problem here: it's the Rolling Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom