mid-80s, U2ish bands - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 04-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #16
love, blood, life
Local Time: 11:54 AM
Echo and the Bunneymen?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:49 AM   #17
War Child
Local Time: 06:54 PM
I adore Echo and the Bunnymen,they are genious. I want to hear Alarms "Rain in the summertime" for 1 year, i cant find it.
And i was into Simple minds a lot, buti will skip their concert on Sunday because of my work! I am not so sorry because i saw them 2 times. They are so uplifting.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #18
War Child
Originally posted by diamond
Echo and the Bunneymen?

Ian McCulloch would be appalled that you mentioned his band in a U2ish band thread.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #19
Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
While I know that the Waterboys and Simple Minds are still active, I haven't checked out any of the recent material.

Has anyone?

But what was news for me and may be for some of the Alarmists on this thread is that Mike Peters has leukemia and a new album coming out with a new line-up.

For the skinny and snippets of songs, check out http://thealarm.com
Stand up to rock stars!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
War Child
Local Time: 01:54 PM
talk about reminiscing. Just saw new concert dates for Waterboys and I was like so jealous...I loved the Waterboys, saw them a few times waaaaay back when. The Alarm as well, I remember when they did 68 Guns live, and they threw a deck of cards into the crowd, and I kept that damn card forever

I saw so many great bands back then, saw The Call, there was a band called Wire - most people have never heard of them, but they were very U2 sounding - guitar riffs esp. gosh so many bands...so long ago..good times.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #21
[QUOTE]Originally posted by girlhappy
[B]I adore Echo and the Bunnymen,they are genious.

girlhappy you have excellent taste!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:12 AM   #22
War Child
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jimmmm
Originally posted by girlhappy
I adore Echo and the Bunnymen,they are genious.

girlhappy you have excellent taste!

Thank you
But they are really ,really special.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:14 AM   #23
New Yorker
Local Time: 08:54 PM
I love The Alarm.

And i love Echo & The Bunnymen.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #24
The Fly
A primer on post-1985 (Once Upon A Time/Don't You Forget About Me) Simple Minds (Blue Room feel free to add!):

1987: Live in the City of Light (2 CD set captures endless Once Upon A Time tour)

1989: Street Fighting Years (this is the album that killed Simple Minds in America. The heavy political content, slow-tempo, long songs were radio-unfriendly. While still a stadium act in Europe, a planned N. America tour was scuttled, and at year's end keyboardist and major contributer Mick MacNeil departed the band, and manager Bruce Findlay was sacked. A time of trial. The irony? SFY may be my favorite album by the group).

1991: Real Life (minus MacNeil, the band regroups with an effort mared by so-so production and some derivative songs, including a 'Waterfront' ripoff). Has some obvious filler but a couple very good tracks, the title song, Banging on the Door, and my fav SM song "See The Lights"

1995: Good News... (long hiatus, SM is now a duo of Kerr/Burchill and Good News is overproduced but has some unapologetic catchy tunes in She's A River and Hypnotised)

1998: Neapolis (electronica influenced album only released properly in Europe, despite return of longtime drummer Gaynor and bassist Forbes). Short summer tour, and no traction from this album, and Forbes departs again.

2002: Cry (not a particularly memorable album in any way shape or form, but does bring SM out for first worldwide tour since 1995-1996 and the extensive live show is terrific with many old songs getting dusted off)

2005: Black & White (haven't heard the new one but reviews have been generally good if not sympathetic, definitely an uptick over Cry and the current lineup has been stabilized and the live concerts are still top notch).