Michelle Wie - LPGA Only!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. BAW

ONE love, blood, life
What a waste of a golf slot; not only has she not won anything of consequence other than an amateur event, she loses again in Switzerland now says that she's on her "A-Game" for next week at the men's tour in Pennsylvania...that'll go over real big...

Go ahead Michelle, those sponsers are just whoring you and your family out for money at the gate; you're like a monkey in a cage..by taking that spot, you deny a men's player to possibly earn a good living for his family; to advance his career during the Fall finish..

Michelle, just how many rules have you violated; how many penalty shots and disqualifications have you suffered? You've made one cut at a men's event...how much are these sponsors paying you just to show up????

Go back and play with the girls until you finally establish yourself...:rant:

CRANS-SUR-SIERRE, Switzerland (AP) -- Michelle Wie struggled to an 8-over 79 Friday at the European Masters, missing the cut at a men's event for the ninth time in 10 attempts.

The 16-year-old from Hawaii, who shot a 78 in Thursday's first round, finished at 15-over 157.

Wie ran up double-bogey 7s on successive par-5s.

"I'm still in shock," Wie said. "I didn't know what sport I was playing out there. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed again. I really just couldn't get anything going."

After bogeys on her first two holes Friday, Wie took double-bogey 7s on successive par-5s. Starting her round at the 10th, she hit her third shot into the middle of the lake at the 598-yard 14th. Then Wie drove out of bounds at the 15th.

While Wie had a double-bogey and three bogeys on the five par-5s Thursday, she dropped only two strokes on those holes Friday.

"My bunker play was better and I putted better," she said. "But I wish I had a little more feel for the game before I came here. It was not my day."

Wie said she looks forward to playing better against the men next week at the 84 Lumber Classic in Farmington, Pa.

"Now that I played a tournament this week, I feel I know what sport I'm playing," she said. "I'm really motivated for next week."

She expects her coach, David Leadbetter, to join her at the event.

"It makes me want to come back and show that I'm a better player than this," she said. "My view is that to get better on the men's tour and to be a better player, I have to keep playing men's events.

"If I just play women's events, I only get better at women's events. I feel I have a good balance now."

European Tour executive director George O'Grady has the final say in Wie's participation in future events.

"This experiment, I'm quite happy with it," O'Grady said. "I think we'll just evaluate this one first before we make further decisions in that respect. I don't she has played as well as she would have wanted to play. She's a young, phenomenal talent who probably hasn't played to her potential."

O'Grady said he would have been surprised had Wie made the cut.

"I think it's daunting here," he said. "I share what she said on her short game. If you miss fairways, you put a lot of pressure on your short game. And she missed a few fairways."

Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell said he didn't think Wie should have played.

"This is not a golf course I would have said she could play," he said. "She had no chance round here. And I just don't think women can compete against the men."

Wie played at the urging of her sponsor, Swiss watchmaker Omega, which sponsors the tournament. She said attending high school in Hawaii for one week before arriving in Switzerland hampered her preparation.

Wie plans to play in Japan later this year in the Casio World Open, where she missed the cut last year.

Earlier this year, Wie survived the cut in a men's event at the SK Telecom Open in South Korea, finishing 12 shots off the lead. Laura Davies is the only other woman to play on the European Tour, finishing next to last in the 2004 ANZ Championship in Sydney.

Wie's previous worst round in a men's tournament came this year in the Sony Open in Hawaii, where she opened with a 9-over 79. She had a 68 in the second round but missed the cut.

You know, I saw the blurb of her horrible latest round of golf, and I was having the same thoughts. I don't know if she is getting really bad advice or something else, but this is not making her image any better. She really does need to concentrate on the LPGA and become a dominating golfer before being seriously considered for the PGA.

This by no way means I don't think women should play in any PGA tournaments. On the contrary, I think someone like Annika Sorenstam, who has been playing at another level for the last few years, more than deserves to play in as many PGA events as she wants.

Mr. BAW said:
she hit her third shot into the middle of the lake at the 598-yard 14th. Then Wie drove out of bounds at the 15th.
Hell, I can do that, can I get a sponsor's slot at the Masters next April?

The Wie PGA novelty has completely worn off. She's risking overexposure and maybe burnout, especially by missing cut after cut. A LPGA win should be her main goal.

women :rolleyes:

they should stick to cooking and cleaning and having our babies!!

Michelle Wie +14 >77 - 81= 158

*the above-tag line is from PGATOUR.com

Uh, Michelle Wie finished DEAD FUCKING LAST; 14 OVER PAR just above the 4 guys who withdrew...

Now I admit, I'd be in heaven shooting 14 over par but she's supposed to be the IN THING.....

Last edited:
Someone wanted a picture and this seems to be the best representation of her:

s091514a.jpg

Quote - "I didn't feel like it was actually that bad because I felt like my game was 100 times better than last week,"

"I just feel like I have to work on my putting a little bit and a couple of my tee shots, driver shots and stuff like that. ... I'm getting better, even though my score didn't show it."

Dios mio! :yikes: I'm sure that she's getting paid appearance fees just to show up! Tiger gets $2M just to play in the Dubai Classic but at least he performs...The sponsors are also to blame for this .... her showing up means $$ at the gate...all ho's...

Umm, get over it. :wink:

Professional golf is a business, if the organizers and sponsors feel her appearance at a tournament is a benefit and they are willing to offer her a spot, so what.

And her appeal is not only as a female but she is only 16. Is she good enough to be on the men's tour at the moment, no, is she better than 95% of male golfer's in the world, probably.

She is doing the right thing for herself, regardless if she continues to improve and succeed as a pro golfer, she is now financially secure for the rest of her life. Good for her. Besides, she just says yes when they offer her a spot, would anyone here turn down an opportunity to challenge yourself against the best in your chosen field even though you knew you were outclassed. Competition against better peers makes you a better competitor, Wie's mental game is her weakness and this is probably due to her age and will improve in the next few years.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree trevster. I think she's being manipulated by her father. From what I've heard he can be a shady character.

I think she should stick to the LPGA as well, for the record. :wink:

trevster2k said:

She is doing the right thing for herself, regardless if she continues to improve and succeed as a pro golfer, she is now financially secure for the rest of her life. Good for her. Besides, she just says yes when they offer her a spot, would anyone here turn down an opportunity to challenge yourself against the best in your chosen field even though you knew you were outclassed. Competition against better peers makes you a better competitor, Wie's mental game is her weakness and this is probably due to her age and will improve in the next few years.

Not if she burns out when she turns 18. In the short term she's raking in some serious cash, but it's a terrible long-term decision for her in just about every way.

Wie has signed her first two endorsement deals, one with Nike and one with Sony. Combined, the value of those two deals - estimated at around $10 million a year - makes Wie the highest-paid female golfer in the world in terms of endorsements, and the third highest-paid female athlete in any sport in terms of endorsement money. By comparison, Annika Sorenstam is believed to make $6 million a year from endorsements.

10 million a year for sucking, she's gotta be doing something right. she's 16 and she is set up for life already. and dont ya think the people paying her 10 million are wanting her to play in these mens events to generate publicity? hell id go make a fool of myself on the PGA for 10 million bucks and i dont think id consider it a terrible long-term decision.

Chizip said:

10 million a year for sucking, she's gotta be doing something right. she's 16 and she is set up for life already. and dont ya think the people paying her 10 million are wanting her to play in these mens events to generate publicity? hell id go make a fool of myself on the PGA for 10 million bucks and i dont think id consider it a terrible long-term decision.

If your goal is to make $10 million and make a fool of yourself, then it's a good choice.

If your goal is to develop as a serious golfer, maybe not so much.

Yep, that money can pay for a lot of therapy down the road. :wink:

And the only way for a person to change the sponsors exemptions for her is to boycott any event she participates in and don't buy products she promotes otherwise as long as they feel she is good for the game of golf, she will continue to be around.

And only a handful of golfers ever play their best all the time, Tiger being the most prominent. So she has finished last in her past couple of tournaments, she finished 59th at the Masters qualifer which included 151 other players of whom 48 were PGA pros. Plus she is not a member of the LPGA as she is underage and only allowed to participate in 6 tournaments a year. She is however allowed to play in non-LPGA events to which she is invited or qualifies for.

Who knows, she may go all Jennifer Capriati down the road but there are bigger problems in the world then a 16 yr old girl playing golf against men.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
Yep, that money can pay for a lot of therapy down the road. :wink:

Well, as the famous philosopher Alexander Emanuel Rodriguez once said, "therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic."

trevster2k said:

Who knows, she may go all Jennifer Capriati down the road but there are bigger problems in the world then a 16 yr old girl playing golf against men.

:huh:

Well, this is the sports forum. I don't come in here to talk about world problems.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Well, this is the sports forum. I don't come in here to talk about world problems.

I agree but some of the whining by the pro golfers is just silly, that's my point. I think many are just jealous that she is the IT thing in golf while they are struggling to stay on the tour. She isn't taking anyone's spot on the tour, she is receiving sponsors' exemptions which they give out to their choices, and usually they don't go to the golfer who just missed out qualifying for the tournament.

She will continue to make appearances until people get tired of her or she gets so frustrated with not achieving her goal she will no longer accept invitations. That day is probably coming soon anyway at least until she gets older and stronger and then maybe she will try again as Sorenstam did. When she turns 18 in a 18 months, she will be a regular participant on the LPGA Until then she has a fair bit of free time in her schedule to play different tournaments. :wink:

Chizip said:

10 million a year for sucking, she's gotta be doing something right.
So many witty retorts to this comment, check back here when she turns 18 and I'll post a few.:wink:

Last edited:
Just because she's taller don't make her better...LOL

Wie struggles in opening round of Casio World == November 23, 2006

KOCHI, Japan (AP) -- Michelle Wie had another terrible round in a men's event, shooting a 9-over 81 on Thursday in the first round of the Casio World Open.

The 17-year-old's troubles started early on the Kuroshio Country Club course. After teeing off in light rain on No. 10, she bogeyed the par-4 12th hole and had four straight bogeys starting with the par-3 14th.

"I don't think it was pressure," Wie said. "My first couple of drives went left and it was tough to get my rhythm back after that."

Wie, who had nine bogeys, is making her second appearance in the Japanese tour event. Last year, she bogeyed the final two holes in the second round to miss the cut by a stroke in her first appearance in Japan.

Japan's Azuma Yano and compatriot Tetsuhara Haraguchi were tied for the lead with India's Jeev Milkha Singh after all three shot 6-under 66. Wie was 101st, two strokes ahead of last-place Tomomichi Oto.

Despite failing to make a single birdie, Wie said she wasn't too concerned about her game.

"I don't think I was playing that bad," she said.

Wie has made the cut in one of her 11 starts on men's tours, in May in the Asian Tour's SK Telecom Open in South Korea.

In her last three men's events, she withdrew from the John Deere Classic because of heat exhaustion after playing 27 holes in 8 over and finished last in the European Masters (78-79) and 84 Lumber Classic (77-81). She's winless in 33 LPGA Tour appearances, the last nine as a professional.

Wie said she was still confident about making the cut.

"I've been practicing and working on my game a lot," she said. "I still have a positive mind-set for tomorrow."

Well there you go; she doesn't think she's playing that bad...maybe her management should tell her, then she'll get it...! :spoiledbrat:

Answer - "Not at all," said Wie, winless in 33 career LPGA Tour appearances. "I didn't play like myself today and it doesn't bother me because I know I can play much better than this. I learn a lot from playing with the men."

Question - "Would your poor performances deter her from playing in men's events?"

She shot 17+ (over par) beating only one Asian male player as she failed to qualify to play the last 2 rounds.... :down:

In an AP release, I found the following subplot to Ms. Wie's financial future...who does she think she is, Tiger?

"The U.S. LPGA Tour allows its members two releases a year to play overseas, where Wie commands as much as $1.5 million...." (appearance fee).

1.5 Million for someone who has an empty trophy shelf....:sick:

I don't even think she's ready for the LPGA - she just shot +14 through 16 holes before withdrawing from an LPGA event (supposedly with an aggravated wrist). It was her first event since January I believe. I think she's been messed up a bit with bad advice early on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom