Michelle Wie - LPGA Only! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:55 AM
I respectfully disagree trevster. I think she's being manipulated by her father. From what I've heard he can be a shady character.

I think she should stick to the LPGA as well, for the record.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

She is doing the right thing for herself, regardless if she continues to improve and succeed as a pro golfer, she is now financially secure for the rest of her life. Good for her. Besides, she just says yes when they offer her a spot, would anyone here turn down an opportunity to challenge yourself against the best in your chosen field even though you knew you were outclassed. Competition against better peers makes you a better competitor, Wie's mental game is her weakness and this is probably due to her age and will improve in the next few years.
Not if she burns out when she turns 18. In the short term she's raking in some serious cash, but it's a terrible long-term decision for her in just about every way.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Wie has signed her first two endorsement deals, one with Nike and one with Sony. Combined, the value of those two deals - estimated at around $10 million a year - makes Wie the highest-paid female golfer in the world in terms of endorsements, and the third highest-paid female athlete in any sport in terms of endorsement money. By comparison, Annika Sorenstam is believed to make $6 million a year from endorsements.
10 million a year for sucking, she's gotta be doing something right. she's 16 and she is set up for life already. and dont ya think the people paying her 10 million are wanting her to play in these mens events to generate publicity? hell id go make a fool of myself on the PGA for 10 million bucks and i dont think id consider it a terrible long-term decision.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

10 million a year for sucking, she's gotta be doing something right. she's 16 and she is set up for life already. and dont ya think the people paying her 10 million are wanting her to play in these mens events to generate publicity? hell id go make a fool of myself on the PGA for 10 million bucks and i dont think id consider it a terrible long-term decision.
If your goal is to make $10 million and make a fool of yourself, then it's a good choice.

If your goal is to develop as a serious golfer, maybe not so much.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Yep, that money can pay for a lot of therapy down the road.

And the only way for a person to change the sponsors exemptions for her is to boycott any event she participates in and don't buy products she promotes otherwise as long as they feel she is good for the game of golf, she will continue to be around.

And only a handful of golfers ever play their best all the time, Tiger being the most prominent. So she has finished last in her past couple of tournaments, she finished 59th at the Masters qualifer which included 151 other players of whom 48 were PGA pros. Plus she is not a member of the LPGA as she is underage and only allowed to participate in 6 tournaments a year. She is however allowed to play in non-LPGA events to which she is invited or qualifies for.

Who knows, she may go all Jennifer Capriati down the road but there are bigger problems in the world then a 16 yr old girl playing golf against men.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Yep, that money can pay for a lot of therapy down the road.
Well, as the famous philosopher Alexander Emanuel Rodriguez once said, "therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic."
Old 09-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:

Who knows, she may go all Jennifer Capriati down the road but there are bigger problems in the world then a 16 yr old girl playing golf against men.

Well, this is the sports forum. I don't come in here to talk about world problems.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Well, this is the sports forum. I don't come in here to talk about world problems.

I agree but some of the whining by the pro golfers is just silly, that's my point. I think many are just jealous that she is the IT thing in golf while they are struggling to stay on the tour. She isn't taking anyone's spot on the tour, she is receiving sponsors' exemptions which they give out to their choices, and usually they don't go to the golfer who just missed out qualifying for the tournament.

She will continue to make appearances until people get tired of her or she gets so frustrated with not achieving her goal she will no longer accept invitations. That day is probably coming soon anyway at least until she gets older and stronger and then maybe she will try again as Sorenstam did. When she turns 18 in a 18 months, she will be a regular participant on the LPGA Until then she has a fair bit of free time in her schedule to play different tournaments.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

10 million a year for sucking, she's gotta be doing something right.
So many witty retorts to this comment, check back here when she turns 18 and I'll post a few.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

ba dum dum
Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Just because she's taller don't make her better...LOL

Wie struggles in opening round of Casio World == November 23, 2006

KOCHI, Japan (AP) -- Michelle Wie had another terrible round in a men's event, shooting a 9-over 81 on Thursday in the first round of the Casio World Open.

The 17-year-old's troubles started early on the Kuroshio Country Club course. After teeing off in light rain on No. 10, she bogeyed the par-4 12th hole and had four straight bogeys starting with the par-3 14th.

"I don't think it was pressure," Wie said. "My first couple of drives went left and it was tough to get my rhythm back after that."

Wie, who had nine bogeys, is making her second appearance in the Japanese tour event. Last year, she bogeyed the final two holes in the second round to miss the cut by a stroke in her first appearance in Japan.

Japan's Azuma Yano and compatriot Tetsuhara Haraguchi were tied for the lead with India's Jeev Milkha Singh after all three shot 6-under 66. Wie was 101st, two strokes ahead of last-place Tomomichi Oto.

Despite failing to make a single birdie, Wie said she wasn't too concerned about her game.

"I don't think I was playing that bad," she said.

Wie has made the cut in one of her 11 starts on men's tours, in May in the Asian Tour's SK Telecom Open in South Korea.

In her last three men's events, she withdrew from the John Deere Classic because of heat exhaustion after playing 27 holes in 8 over and finished last in the European Masters (78-79) and 84 Lumber Classic (77-81). She's winless in 33 LPGA Tour appearances, the last nine as a professional.

Wie said she was still confident about making the cut.

"I've been practicing and working on my game a lot," she said. "I still have a positive mind-set for tomorrow."

Well there you go; she doesn't think she's playing that bad...maybe her management should tell her, then she'll get it...! :spoiledbrat:
Old 11-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Answer - "Not at all," said Wie, winless in 33 career LPGA Tour appearances. "I didn't play like myself today and it doesn't bother me because I know I can play much better than this. I learn a lot from playing with the men."

Question - "Would your poor performances deter her from playing in men's events?"

She shot 17+ (over par) beating only one Asian male player as she failed to qualify to play the last 2 rounds....
Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

In an AP release, I found the following subplot to Ms. Wie's financial future...who does she think she is, Tiger?

"The U.S. LPGA Tour allows its members two releases a year to play overseas, where Wie commands as much as $1.5 million...." (appearance fee).

1.5 Million for someone who has an empty trophy shelf....
Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't even think she's ready for the LPGA - she just shot +14 through 16 holes before withdrawing from an LPGA event (supposedly with an aggravated wrist). It was her first event since January I believe. I think she's been messed up a bit with bad advice early on.