Michelle Wie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Michelle Wie is currently at -4 for the tournament and has a good shot at making the cut. I have to say that is pretty remarkable. This is a 15 year old girl going against all of these male pros.

15 years old! It's amazing. I hope she keeps it up.

Her goal is to play in the most competitive league for her sport. I think that's commendable.

Her goal may be to play with the most competitive league though, but I still think she should have to win SOMETHING at a lower level (the LPGA) first though.

People are going to be asking "If she can't prove herself in the LPGA, what the hell is she doing in the PGA?"

If she is able to qualify for the PGA tour through the same process as any other male, why would it be necessary for her to go to the LPGA first?

That's like saying "If a 15-year old can get through an NHL tryout and make the team, why should he have to play Junior?"

One word: development.

There are loads of young baseball AAA players, or 18-year old AHL players who are more than capable of playing in the MLB or NHL. But the reason they don't is so that they can develop more consistently, rather than being thrust headlong into the most competitive league possible.

Windmilllane said:
you're just jealous.

:wink:

:yes:

this tournament is a part of her development. she is seeing where she stacks up against the men to determine what her future plan of action should be

and for her to have a great shot to make the cut, I'd say she has stacked up very well

how can you not say a 15 year old girl making the cut at a PGA tournament is an amazing feat?

Chizip said:

:yes:

this tournament is a part of her development. she is seeing where she stacks up against the men to determine what her future plan of action should be

and for her to have a great shot to make the cut, I'd say she has stacked up very well

how can you not say a 15 year old girl making the cut at a PGA tournament is an amazing feat?

I'd say she stacks up quite well, if ya know what I mean.

:wink:

Okay, I take that back. I'm not ready to go to jail.

oh man she is self destructing on the last few holes, thats a shame

I support Michelle Wie.

capt.iljr11707090114.john_deere_classic_iljr117.jpg

capt.iljr11607090107.john_deere_classic_iljr116.jpg

capt.iljr10907082150.john_deere_classic_iljr109.jpg

capt.iljr10807082146.john_deere_classic_iljr108.jpg

DaveC said:
That's like saying "If a 15-year old can get through an NHL tryout and make the team, why should he have to play Junior?"

One word: development.

There are loads of young baseball AAA players, or 18-year old AHL players who are more than capable of playing in the MLB or NHL. But the reason they don't is so that they can develop more consistently, rather than being thrust headlong into the most competitive league possible.

Development is all nice and good but there have been examples of players going straight into the professional leagues while skipping the "developmetal" leagues and doing just fine. Also development doesn't always have to revolve around the "minor leagues."

One could say, that if Michelle really wanted to develop as a player, a more competitive environment (PGA) would be conducive to a better overall game rather than being bogged down by the competition in the LPGA which is different from the PGA (or at worst inferior).

Just as Tiger Woods was a boon to pro golf, if Wie is able to succeed in the PGA, THAT would be huge. I would like to see it happen.

Okay first of all I agree w/ Dave totally.

Second of all why do people have to throw out the "You're just jealous" crap. What, I can't have an opinion about another female without being jealous? Jealousy has nothing to do with what I think. And for the record, I'm not jealous of a 15 year old. Please. :angry:

Third of all, she is not being bogged down by the LPGA b/c she's not winning anything on the LPGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's arrogant. Win at your own level like Annika Sorenstam then we can talk about the PGA.

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:
Okay first of all I agree w/ Dave totally.

Second of all why do people have to throw out the "You're just jealous" crap. What, I can't have an opinion about another female without being jealous? Jealousy has nothing to do with what I think. And for the record, I'm not jealous of a 15 year old. Please. :angry:

Third of all, she is not being bogged down by the LPGA b/c she's not winning anything on the LPGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's arrogant. Win at your own level like Annika Sorenstam then we can talk about the PGA.

What makes her arrogant? Just b/c she wants to test herself against guys? Should all the male players who didn't make the cut this past week with Wie, start seeking development in the LPGA and play in LPGA tourneys?

Last edited:
I have no problem with Annika Sorenstam playing in the PGA. Not many people do, with the probable exception of maybe Hootie Johnson.

Michelle Wie, I do have a problem with. Annika has proven herself in her league. She's shown that she dominates her own league and deserves a chance to move up. She has earned that right. Michelle Wie has won nothing on the LPGA. Her own league, and she hasn't won a damn thing. She hasn't earned her ticket to move up in competitional level yet.

We need to face reality.

The reason that she's up there is not 100% that she's a pretty good player (she does need more development though, IMO). It has something to do with the fact that she's 15 years old, and pretty cute.

If she was 40, looked like a horse, and had the record that she has now (no wins), she'd get laughed out of the PGA tour before she even applied for a sponsor's exemption.

She's a novelty act. How many other cute 15-year old girls are there on the PGA tour? Win something in your own competition level before diving headlong into somewhere where you're over your head.

And yes, I know she nearly made the cut. One good round does not a great player make. Hell, I've hit an eagle on a Par 4 once, but that doesn't make my 7's and 8's on every other hole any better.

There are other tours besides the PGA for male golfers. These are the developmental tours.

My point is she is not winning on the LPGA. She wants nothing to do with the LPGA. The competition is still challenging for her on the LPGA.

Edit: Dave is saying what I'd like to, just in a more eloquent manner. :up:

WildHoneyAlways said:
There are other tours besides the PGA for male golfers. These are the developmental tours.

My point is she is not winning on the LPGA. She wants nothing to do with the LPGA. The competition is still challenging for her on the LPGA.

:up:

She played a PGA Tour event at 1 under, and her tie for 88th equaled that of three-time major champion Nick Price. She finished ahead of 54 men, including former British Open champ David Duval and playing partner Nick Watney.

But she is getting results within the PGA. Its not like she sucks and is trying to enter the PGA. She is actually accomplishing a lot relative to her age. It would be one thing if she was 40 years old but she is not. Like Tiger when he first showed up on the PGA, did he dominate as a high schooler? No. Yet he played well enough to just qualify.

Of course she could "work" her way up in the other men's tours but what golf pro/ amateur in their right mind would want to start from the b-leagues (no offense) if the opportunity is there for the person to get experience in the A-leagues.

Wie is getting better results than many guys her age would that are competing now but you all want to limit her potential by sticking her in the LPGA?

The LPGA game and the competitors are different from the PGA game and its competitors. IMO the way she's going about in playing with the men and women is good for her development. It helps more that she is actually good and can hit the ball far.

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I have no problem with Annika Sorenstam playing in the PGA. Not many people do, with the probable exception of maybe Hootie Johnson.

Michelle Wie, I do have a problem with. Annika has proven herself in her league. She's shown that she dominates her own league and deserves a chance to move up. She has earned that right. Michelle Wie has won nothing on the LPGA. Her own league, and she hasn't won a damn thing. She hasn't earned her ticket to move up in competitional level yet
[/i].

The LPGA isn't her own league. Its by default b/c she is female. Do you feel the same with amateurs trying to play in the PGA? Some amateurs aren't dominant in the amateur ranks or Annika dominant. Hell, Wie has been putting up better numbers than Annika ever did on her one try to win a tourney.

She's a novelty act. How many other cute 15-year old girls are there on the PGA tour? Win something in your own competition level before diving headlong into somewhere where you're over your head.

And yes, I know she nearly made the cut. One good round does not a great player make. Hell, I've hit an eagle on a Par 4 once, but that doesn't make my 7's and 8's on every other hole any better.

I believe even though she did not make the cut this past week, she showed with the above results that she wasn't in over her head. IMO there is potential for her to be a novelty act in the sense that she is relatively attractive and YOUNG. But she has backed it up with skill and the few times she's competed with men, she's been able to hold her own. She is akin to a prodigy.

You might be able to hit an eagle on par 4 doesn't make for Wie being soso or mediocre. The pro game and you or I or a high school star playing the game are way different.

ok, this is my problem. You have to qualify for these events. She didnt. (im talking about the last tourney not this one) With her exemption she takes a golfers place that deserves to be there. Let her win something first so it atleast seems credible shes out there. And if she didnt qualify now she aint going to for a while. Shit, I mean no one was playing everyone was gearing up for the British open.

Bottom line:

Sponsors want her in the tournaments. And as long as she doesn't finish last and continues to beat half the field of men, she will continue to be there until she no longer brings attention to the tournaments and the game of golf.

Well, she's just steps from going to Augusta....she's going through the men at the Amateur Public Links and the winner gets an automatic invite to the Masters...she's 4 matches away!

"Wie advances to third round with easy match win at APL"

Every year since 1989, the winner of the APL has gotten an invitation to the Masters. Wie went through APL qualifying in hopes of earning a spot at Augusta National. "

***She's a Man, Baby!***

July 14, 2005 | Last update 9:28:59 PM

Wie three wins away from Masters invite at men's Pub Links
by RUSTY MILLER, Associated Press

The 15-year-old high school junior-to-be birdied three of the final five holes and beat Jim Renner 3-and-1 in her second match of the day Thursday, advancing to the quarterfinals of the U.S. Amateur Public Links.

Wie, the first female to qualify for a men's U.S. Golf Association championship, rolled to a 6-and-5 victory over C.D. Hockersmith of Richmond, Ind., in her morning match.

Followed by a gallery of several hundred people -- there were no more than a handful of friends and family with any other group on the course -- Wie always seemed to hit her best shots when needed the most.

Every year since 1989, the winner of the Public Links has gotten an invitation to the Masters. Wie went through qualifying in hopes of earning a spot in the Masters.

Renner missed birdie putts of 6 feet on each of the first two holes as Wie escaped all square. She never trailed, going 3-up at the turn by hitting an 18-foot birdie putt at the ninth hole.

Renner, a junior at Johnson & Wales University in Miami and the reigning NAIA medalist, won holes 10 and 12 to narrow the gap, but Wie, using a 3-iron, hit a 220-yard shot at the 13th hole to 15 feet and then rolled in the difficult downhill putt to push the lead back to 2-up.

At the par-4 15th, Renner's second shot ended up 4 feet away while Wie was in heavy rough left of the green. But she hit a flop shot that rolled in, with the crowd roaring its approval. Renner had to hit his birdie putt to avoid losing the hole.

At the 17th, Wie hit into a fairway trap and then blasted out to just short of the green, and from there she chipped to 5 feet.

Renner hit his 8-iron second shot over the green and into a large lake. He was forced to take a drop, chipped onto the green and then conceded Wie's birdie putt and the match.

Wie advances to play Clay Ogden, a BYU junior who defeated Andrew Black of Chattanooga, Tenn., 3-and-2 in another round-of-16 match.

If Wie were to win her match with Ogden, she would play in the semifinals on Friday. The championship is a 36-hole match Saturday.

Hootie Johnson doesn't even let women inside the gates of Augusta, let alone let a woman (a girl) play in the Master's.

Back
Top Bottom