Michael Jackson is broke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm well i dont know if this has been mentioned much on the interference message boards
but the news of recent days (and not all that big mind you), is that michael jackson is flat out broke

it was bound to happen sometime wasnt it?
when you add all the things which have contributed to his downfall

1. no musical 'hits' for a long time

2. constant bad publicity

3. his lavish living style

and one thinks a lot of his downfall can be attributed to the fact the world had moved on whereas he just stood still

he's probably still thinking its still 1991, where Dangerous caps off a triumpant return after a layoff from his previous smash Bad

but boy oh boy, the world has changed

and all the sudden michael jackson not only has become irrelevant but also uncool, and he gets on the butt of jokes

and here we are in 2002, michael jackson is broke, and the genuine consensus is 'thats hardly surprising!'

ten years ago people would have said this was unthinkable, we made him very rich, we made him very famous, and with good purpose he was part of our hearts, he was a childhood prodigy who had all the setbacks i mean lets all remember where he's come from, toils manfully writing some of the most famous songs of his era, and we rewarded him for it

and unfortunately this fairytale doesnt end well at all, i mean it escapes me how this seemingly fantasy tale of almost a cinderella story where someone who is poor but is deserving because he had it all, finds a seemingly happy ending... then ends up being a pauper

the logic escapes me

i'd just like to bring this up, seeing my mum loves him and all

I knew out of him and madonna she would out last him. I saw it coming years ago. I never really dug him. My mom had his one vinyl and that was ok when I was a kid but ever since then :down: I really don't see what all the hipe was for all these years.

I just realized I got a lot of my early musical influence from my mom. She gave my U2. God I love my mom.:sad:

i don't find this very surprising, either. he has his own little mini-country going on at his house. his expensive lifestyle was okay back in the early 90's when he made more than he spent, but people like that, you know will always end up broke. it just took him a little longer to get there.

it's kinda like when mc hammer got that huge house and paying for like 100 dancers onstage with him, it wasn't shocking when he declared bankruptcy. although at least mc hammer tried to help the people that helped him along the way.

i think 'broke' to these people is still many times more than u and i could ever make mind you.

i remember when they were saying sarah fergie was broke, she was still on over 100,000 pounds per year! just not her usual million or whatever it was!

Well I am suprised!

I mean despite any recent big hits and all of the controversey he never really had the big drug problem, or did he?

But in a crowded room full of celebs, if he walked in he would be the biggest fish in the room unless :bono: or Mick Jagger were there.

Broke, hmmm. Well he probably still has more $$$$$$$ than me so I can't exactly pity him! But he was a very influential musician, and there was not a better album in (83?) than Thriller.

Maybe he will sell the rights to all the Beatles music back to Paul McCartny. There has been some talk of that lately. This could explain it. Michael might want the dough.

maybe he should get a job?

(the first one responding with "babysitting" is a lame individual)

bono_man said:
i think 'broke' to these people is still many times more than u and i could ever make mind you.

yeh me too!

He prob has a lot of ?? tied up in investments as well...hes still loaded im sure :|

Johnny Swallow said:
What's the difference between a Cadillac and a naked 8 year old?

Michael Jackson doesn't have a Cadillac in his garage.

har de har har :p

Lemon Meringue said:
Maybe he will sell the rights to all the Beatles music back to Paul McCartny. There has been some talk of that lately. This could explain it. Michael might want the dough.

He put the Beatles catalogue up as collateral for a HUGE loan from Sony...the loan is coming due and he's sweating it because he can't come up with the $$$.

This is also said to be behind the whole anti-Sony campaign he's running right now.

hHere is an article i found (one of many)

This article is from back in march of this year:

Cash-strapped King Of Pop Michael Jackson may be forced to unload his share of pop's most treasured jewels -- the Beatles' song catalogue.

Jackson scooped away the rights to the Beatles' song publishing in 1985 from pal Paul McCartney, who had hoped to buy back the rights to his own songs. Jackson was later forced to sell half the asset to Sony Music in 1991 for $100 million.

Now time has run out on Jackson, who may now be forced to sell his remaining 50% stake in modern music's most valued song collection. Fox News said Sony Music Publishing President Richard Rowe has been in constant contact with the Jackson camp urging him to sell off his share of the Fab Four songs.

The report said Jackson has, in recent years, borrowed $200 million from various lenders, to pay off his legal debts and high lifestyle. Sony backed those loans, on the condition that Jackson use as collateral his remaining ownership stake in the songs of Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

The catalogue has been valued at between $400 and $600 million. Jackson purchased it for $47.5 million from Sir Lew Grade in 1985, the report said.

Fox said "Yesterday" remains one of the most-played songs in radio history. "Let It Be," "Michelle," "Hey Jude," "And I Love Her" and "Penny Lane" are all ranked at the top of BMI's list of songs that have been aired more than three million times. Fourteen more Lennon-McCartney compositions have been aired more than two million times, followed by about 20 Beatles songs in the million-airs club.

Jackson's strategy had been for his long-delayed album "Invincible" to rescue him from these financial pressures. But the album has sold less than two million copies, and given the years he spent working on the project, his chances of recouping on those sales is unlikely.

In hindsight, Jackson's decision to use the catalogue as collateral with Sony may not have been a shrewd move. Sony stood to profit by snagging the Beatles songs, and Jackson's best hope at hanging on to the songs was through the success of "Invincible" -- an album whose sales depended on Sony's support. So in theory, if "Invincible" fails, Sony stands to profit with the Fab Four songs, creating the appearance of a potential conflict of interest for the company.

Sony's fiscal year ends March 31, so there's an incentive to conclude the transaction by then, Fox said.

Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that Jackson will announce a North American tour within the next two weeks, his first in close to 10 years. And despite reports that Jackson would leave Epic (the Sony division for whom he records), a label source told the Post Jackson still owes the company two more albums, and they intend to hold him to that commitment.

Im going to ignore all the negativity in this thread and say that I was once a true fan, I loved him back in 87 era.........I still have two videos of him.........I get sad when I watch the one with James Earl Jones commentating, because time of 'Moonwalker' film era I remember going to ABC Cinema, Belfast to see this film and the cinema was knocked down years after - Im pretty sure his film was the last I saw there - so I still get sad about that old beautiful building...........

anyway, I look back and see an amazing person.............who wowed audiences worldwide, and armed with an army of fans, he broke records..............he was more amazing back then..........

unfort it did all start to go wrong from 93 upwards, but still.....I say we should look and see Michael as a person who was, and still is...unique..........

Well I do, and I dont give forty fucks what anyone here tinks on what I say!

I just think its a shame he felt he had to change himself to be accepted by the 'white society' - if that was the case - as its all falling apart now......:(

But most of all........its sad how pple have isolated him............u might say its his own doing, but still........he his human.

mad1 said:
Im going to ignore all the negativity in this thread and say that I was once a true fan, I loved him back in 87 era.........I still have two videos of him.........I get sad when I watch the one with James Earl Jones commentating, because time of 'Moonwalker' film era I remember going to ABC Cinema, Belfast to see this film and the cinema was knocked down years after - Im pretty sure his film was the last I saw there - so I still get sad about that old beautiful building...........

anyway, I look back and see an amazing person.............who wowed audiences worldwide, and armed with an army of fans, he broke records..............he was more amazing back then..........

unfort it did all start to go wrong from 93 upwards, but still.....I say we should look and see Michael as a person who was, and still is...unique..........

Well I do, and I dont give forty fucks what anyone here tinks on what I say!

I just think its a shame he felt he had to change himself to be accepted by the 'white society' - if that was the case - as its all falling apart now......:(

But most of all........its sad how pple have isolated him............u might say its his own doing, but still........he his human.

You don't have to feel bad about liking MJ Maddie...he still has a huge fan base all over the world so many, many people feel the way you do.

I do take issue with what you said about him changing himself to fit into "white society." Michael Jackson was a superstar for many, many years before he changed his looks. He was adored by people of all races when he had dark skin, curly hair and his own nose. I had a framed picture of him on my wall and thought he was one of the cutest boys I had ever seen.

What he has done to himself has nothing to do trying to please white society. Michael Jackson himself was/is ashamed of his African-American features and remade himself into his own version of what he thinks is attractive. Self hatred and vanity turned him into what he is today.

The only person who isolated Michael Jakson was HIMSELF!

With the Private island thing and his wierd behaviour (The "mask on the face" thing , and the monkey friend! :eyebrow:) . It`s like he`s living in his oun little world (BIG world for that matter) . He drwon himself in his oun megalomania!
History, from my point of view, was the begining of this Going nuts from the "obsession with himself".

I guess to much fame can do that to you. And like in many cases -what reaches the top and can`t go higher is ment to fall down and crush BIG TIME!
That man couldn`t go further but he wanted to so he crashed.
And now, like any good artist, he`s balming everyone but himself.
I have no dought that Toni Motola is no saint but Jakson`s resent aqcusations him are WAY exadurated.

All I can say is that I pitty the man :tsk: and feel for his fans from the good oll` days (mad1 and all the others).

That`s life!!!
Lets just hope that no celebrity will ever reach that stage.

ANd as far as Madonna compared to him, as rediculous as it`s sounds, SHE`S SO MUCH MORE DOWN TO EARTH!

Oh Im sorry Mrs Bono American Wife, me thought that was story.......me wrong....me sorry........please dont kill me................dont take it up as issue....I was truly innocently sayin that....without a clue of going-ons behind the face.......

:(

*runs and hides behind chair*

mad1 said:
Oh Im sorry Mrs Bono American Wife, me thought that was story.......me wrong....me sorry........please dont kill me................dont take it up as issue....I was truly innocently sayin that....without a clue of going-ons behind the face.......

*runs and hides behind chair*

:heart: Maddie :heart:

You don't have to apologize for having your say about Michael...it's a brave thing to do around here!

I'm sorry I sounded a little short with you, I didn't mean it that way...I don't want to kill you!

I also used to be a huge fan and I'm sad that so much talent seems to have been thrown away but I don't like the person he has become in the last 10 years.

(((((((((((((((((((hugs Miss BAW back))))))))))))))))

dats ok *sniff sniff*

I just feel........sad.......for him........for the whole MJ thang goin down the drain..................I just feel so sad over it all...

when I watch the old MJ perform..........I wish it was happenin all over again...........

I guess I just wanna......... protect him..................if I could..........

he still is unique..............

and he looked so beautiful as a child, and growin up, esp round 'Rock With You' times..................

*sniff sniff*

Well i can't believe no one said this before, but remember this?

"if coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson history?"

;)
:D

I like a few of his songs, (Will you be there, You are not alone, Billie Jean, Thriller, Black and white...) but his latest stuff IMO just wasn't good enough to keep it up.
And it's tragic&grotesque what he did to his physical apperance.

I absolutely fucking love Michael Jackson.

Really. For so many reasons.

He really has an amazing voice, not amazing in the sense of Mariah Carey, yknow, she can sing 8 octaves or whatever,but Doesnt Sound Particularly Nice. he has an amazing sound, and to take a step further of what Bono said, i really think, i could listen to that voice in any language. i mean, generally, i hate that shit, cuz mosty i dont see the point, yknow, you need to know the lyrics....but not in his case. :scream: DAMNIT i am complete;y unable to describe how i like his voice. i just hope other more articulate fans can!!

my god......THE SONGS!!!!!!...the flippin songs....! i mean even with The Jackson 5, great flippin songs. Thriller.....wow. the album, the song. Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, Pretty Young Thing.:drool: :drool: Great songs on both Bad, Dangerous...

SMOOTH CRIMINAL and MOONWALKER
fuckin hell, these two deserve a place of their own in the history bookS! Moonwalker-absolutely love it!cept i was scared of the spiders when i was a kid!

SMOOTH CRIMINAL___OH MY GOD>>>>first of all, a fuckin incredible song..(Stupid version last year:mad: )the video......its gotta be my favourite music video of all time. Absolutely brilliant. I think maybe some of the reason is cuz ive always thought iw would be cool to live in the 50s.....THE SUIT! what a class suit! cream, bowler hat...wow!and he looks FINE in it!

ah jesus, what can you say bout that video??the flippin dancing is absolutely incredible..absoluely amazing. i mean....flippin hell!! that 45 degree lean!the moves!......DAMNIT ill stop now, cuz anyone whos seen it will probly know what im trying to say, and anyone who hasnt wont understand.

as for him being a megalomaniac, with an ego the size of Neverland.........yknow,if you were wildly famous at the age of seven. If you couldnt even have a first girlfriend in privacy. if you had parental suits brought against you at the age of 19 or whatever. if you had to grow up in the ever increasing glare of the public spotlight where your every move was monitored by millions of peopleYOUD BE PRETTY FUCKED UP TOO!

thats ridiculous to compare him to Madonna, she had a RELATIVELY NORMAL CHILDHOOD.i dont think anyone has the right to judge whether he hates his own race, sucks up to white people or whatever, because none of us know what its like to grow up like he did.

sorry about the rant, and i could still go on for ages, but il stop.

i think its an incredible tragedy that hes like he is now. every time i see him now, im nearly in tears, because its so so sad.but with hindsight, i mean, he was never gonna turn out normal was he?? super stars of today, dealing with fame, are more able to deal with it than he was/is, because they HAD A CHANCE TO adjust themselves, and find themselves as people before they were famous. Theyre able to say to themselves "hey, relax, this is me, who i am" How the fuck could MJ do that? he didnt have a chance to figure out who he was!! to himself he was a newspaper article, a clip on tv.

that is all.

WAY TO GO CCOLLAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up::up::up:

and I HAVE to agree with u all the way with the Smooth Criminal video........its quite haunting how the club comes alive in Moonwalker!

Jaysus, someone who speaks there mind and no-one comments - now why did I back down - made me look like I cant make up my mind..........................:mad:

Excellent post ccolhandlaura!! (or do we call ya coolhand as it was 'sposed to be? :) )
I agree with everything you said. I saw him live once and it was one incredible show. I am so glad I went.
I reckon he is a genius. I adore all the songs you mentioned. Brilliant man.

you forgot:

4. the guy's a total wack job

If he didn't spend so much money on plastic surgery, skin lightening, gloves, toys, castles and other people's music, he'd probably have a couple bucks to play with. :macdevil:

Sheesh.

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver
1. no musical 'hits' for a long time

2. constant bad publicity

3. his lavish living style

thanks!

maddie, it doesnt look as if you cant make up your mind, honestly!!ya DID speak your mind, and i agree with ya all the way anyway

angela, you can call me coolhand, ccolhand, coollaura,laura....whatever you want!!:wink: :p

ps...youre so lucky to have seen him live....WOW!*speechless*:drool:

Re: Re: Michael Jackson is broke

Discoteque said:
you forgot:

4. the guy's a total wack job

If he didn't spend so much money on plastic surgery, skin lightening, gloves, toys, castles and other people's music, he'd probably have a couple bucks to play with. :macdevil:

Sheesh.

Yes Jackson is a bit off the wall (no pun intended) but he's not a total 'wack job'. I used to be a big fan of Michael when I was younger, he's written some of the best music in pop history. I agree he lost it when he kept changing his face.

Jo

Back
Top Bottom