Meteorite Shower on Monday Morning.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
For all those Aussies who are interested there is a meteorite shower that is going to be visible just before dawn on Monday morning. Apparently the centre of Australia is going to have the clearest and best view, but the eastern states will have something to see just before the sun breaks, so set the alarm clock and have a look
smile.gif

Hey aurora, I watched it for an hour last year, averaging one HUGE meterorite every 3 minutes. Spectacular IMHO, although we had almost 30%cloud cover. It's clear now, but have to wait and see what it'a like at 3 am. It's making a very close pass to Earth this time, so it should be even brighter.

I've just been reading Bill Neidjie's book the "Kakadu Man"
frown.gif
He is the aboriginal elder that signed over his land to the government for Kakadu NP. I don't know, mention of the night sky made me think of him.
Peace Aurora, enjoy the show.

Ooh, i know of the Leonid shower. I enjoy the Perseid meteor shower every summer. I stay up till dawn to watch it, its too cold out, but worth it.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

What did you see Aurora? I sat outside and watched an approaching lightening storm last night and it has rained non-stop all night, just clearing now,but it's too late. So I can't curse, we need the rain badly, but I missed Leonid and his shower
frown.gif
I've been listening to ppl ringing into the ABC radio from all over, Tasmania, FNQ, Albury etc. they've all had great views of the event. I hope you did too
smile.gif
I'm glad I made the effort last time,(even though I did keep thinking about "The Day of the Triffids") but this year was meant to be so much better.

Oh yeah, The Day of the Triffids! It crossed my mind too! But I'm not blind this morning.
biggrin.gif

I live on the west coast of Canada and it was pretty good here. Well, I was blown away, actually, though I'm feeling sleep-deprived this morning. My parents and I drove out to a golf course where it is quite dark and good for skywatching. Half the population of the town had the same idea so there were too many cars driving through but it was still great. I can only recall seeing a few little shooting stars in my life and last night I saw a few dozen, I guess. When we walked out the door to drive to the golf course I glanced up and saw a huge one right there. I just about screamed. Soon after getting to the golf course we saw one that was unbelievably huge. You could actually SEE the rock burning up the atmosphere. Amazing. The smoke trail stayed in the sky for about thirty seconds. It was almost scary. There were several other ones that were almost as big but not quite. I felt like a bit of an idiot screaming "Did you see that??" and "That was a biggie!" every minute but I loved it. It was very awe-inspiring. When we got home we stepped out of the car and saw a few more, and then a few more still out the window before dragging ourselves to bed.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Cass- only being a couple of hours away from you we too had rain here, we had a bit of thunder, lightning and rain last night, so I presumed that I would not be able to see anything with all of that cloud cover, bit annoyed as I love anything like that, but I have been lucky enough to see a really good meteor shower a few years back from atop a high vantage point in Coolum, which was magical watching meteors dart across the night sky whilst being able to see a panoramic and sweeping view of all of the lights of the Sunshine Coast down below, anyway hopefully there will be some more heavenly happenings soon.......BTW Cass, do you have any plans to make it to the Woodford Folk Festival this year????
smile.gif

Hey Scatteroflight, glad you got to see the meteor shower!!! I saw it really good like that with the "fireballs" a few years ago. I live in Texas. It was pretty much clouded over here last night. There were however a few breaks in the clouds and I managed to see 6 good meteors before it was completely clouded up by 4:15 am or so. I first went out around 3am, and within the first five minutes I was out, I saw two huge meteors. I kept watching for breaks in the clouds all evening lol.

Well, there's always next year!

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

www.geocities.com/u2_celebrate/u2_celebration.html

http://www.geocities.com/u2austin2001/U2AustinTX.html

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 11-18-2001).]

Hi Aurora. I'm afraid Maleny is in the "if only" category for me as as well. We have been renovating my dingy old kitchen this year and work keeps coming to a standstill due to lack of funds. I bought a window the other day and said this is instead of Paul Kelly supported by Troy Cassar-Daley, INXS(twice) Roxy Music(twice) The Corrs AND Elvis to the Max. All the shows my g'friends have invited me along to in the past few months and have not attended.(and those buggers have tickets to see Rod Stewart next). Awww poor me, with the em-pha-sis on "poor"(well I won't be poor in kitchen facilities when it's completed
biggrin.gif
).
So no Aurora, no Maleny, even though friends who go regularly say it is THE best, and I'd have a ball. Luckily there is great entertainment locally.
Are you going ?
PS: nice clear couple of days, the stars were spectacular last night. Bit late eh?
That's that old bugger Murphy and his laws again.

Cass- bummer you wont be making it to the Folk Fest- I go regularily every year, this will be my eight festival, however I am wondering how good this year will be as there are a lot of performers who I know ill not be there this year, but anyway maybe they are making the way for newer and fresh faces. Well I saw one of my favourite bands the other night- 'The Bluehouse', they are sensational, three women from Melbourne who play beautiful guitar, have the most amazing harmonies and are also really funny ladies, I guess if you could imagine the Indigo Girls crossed with a little Paul Kelly well then that is kinda their style- if they ever make it to your area I thoroughly reccomend seeing them.....and speaking of Roxy Music, I would of loved to have seen them this year, but alas I too am very poor, but funny you should mention them as only this week a friend of mine was talking about how she saw Bryan Ferry at Expo 88, in a concert that he performed on the river stage, she told me how great it was and subsequently I went home and downloaded a heap of old Roxy Music songs- I have had 'Sensation' and 'Dont stop the dance' on very high rotation this week- such great music, I always find Bryan Ferry's voice the perfect accompaniment for lounging about in hot, steamy and sultry weather, anyway Cass If I win the 23 mill this weekend in Gold Lotto I will invest some funds into your music account- there can never be too many people out there spreading the vibe of great music
smile.gif

Hey Aurora, thanks for the recommendation. They may play at Byron at some stage over summer.
I'm happy Aurora. U keep the 23 mill mate, or keep a few and give the rest to Save The Children fund.
"I have no silver, I have no gold,
But I'll have had a lot of fun when I grow old...."
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 11-24-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom