Metallica video for new song/Is that Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Ok, I just saw the video for the new Metallica song, St. Anger.

James Hetfield (lead singer/guitarist) now has chops and is wearing a beanie.

Everytime I see him in it I think he looks like a thicker version of The Edge. It has to be seen to be understood.

On another note, after hearing so much crap about this song, I thought I was going to hate it. I actually liked it quite a bit. The guitar/drums/bass totally reminds me of their first couple albums.

Hetfield also plays a Gibson Explorer like Edge. Although, Hetfield's seem to be more "showy" with different colors and designs compared to Edge's natural color. But, there's another similarity. :yes:

:wave:

~J

womanfish said:
Wow that song is bad. The production is pure shit. What happened Bob Rock???

Are you serious? That is Bob Rock, he's even playing bass on the whole album.

I think it's funny how much crap this song is getting, it's honestly the first song of theirs I've heard in a very long time that sounds like the Metallica I used to love (Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets era).

To each their own, music is all personal preference. I personally like it quite a bit.

That's what I'm saying - What the hell happened to Bob Rock? I know it's him, but to allow such horrible production is a shame on his part.

I mean he's done some fabulous production in the past, so I expected great stuff here.

Add that with the WAY over-long songs and weak lyrics. I like Metallica, and was excited for this album. but I will pass after the few songs I've heard.

But like you said. To each his own.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
How and why is the production horrible? Elaborate.

Well, I think the drums are just mixed really badly. Way too much on the high end. I mean the snare is like someone is pounding a trash can lid with a pipe, and it's put way out in the front. That along with incessent cymbal crashes that you pray will end.

I think it's a pretty cool bass riff, but unfortunately it last for all of 2 seconds before it's thrown into this mess of drum/cymbal madness that i think overshadows any guitar work, and James' voice just isn't workin for me on this song. Something is just not right (besides the drums - which are just wrong).

Then the whole composition of the song is all over the place. One review I read kind of nailed my feelings on it. He said that it feels like the songs were put together with the ProTools equivilent of staples and scotch tape. It's like they had several ok ideas and decided to combine them in a single song, and they don't fit.

It almost seems that they are trying for that old Metallica sound, but just not pulling it off. Trying a little too hard.

It may grow on me, but it may also begin to annoy me more depending on how much it's played.

I'm glad you like it though. I'm sure there are many others out there who will love it.

I saw the video the other day and was unimpressed by it. Yeah I did notice the whole "Edge" look, which is becoming more and more popular. Didn't Lars have a beanie on too?

As far as the song goes, I thought it sucked. That was just my first impression of it. I just felt that the vocals didn't match the music and the music sounded like they were trying to recreate some of their early work but couldn't pull it off.

I've been a huge Metallica fan for years and I liked some of their work of the past few years where most people did not. I guess I need to hear it again before I really make a firm decision on it but first impression, I didn't like it. That certainly doesn't mean I'm not going to be at the store buying the new album the day it comes out. I just hope my first impression of the song is very wrong.

womanfish said:

It almost seems that they are trying for that old Metallica sound, but just not pulling it off. Trying a little too hard.

:ohmy: I didn't even see this part of your response until after I posted. That's exactly what I was getting at.

Man, I think I'm the only person I've seen online on any music sites who likes this song.

I have bad taste.

u2popmofo said:

James Hetfield (lead singer/guitarist) now has chops and is wearing a beanie.

Everytime I see him in it I think he looks like a thicker version of The Edge. It has to be seen to be understood.

:shifty:

Mebbe he saw my incessant polls about Metallica doing U2 songs in EYKIW and got some ideas.

My goodness:eek: I can't wait to see this.
James an Edge lookalike?
I have only heard a snippett of St Anger.It sounded chaotic...but ordered chaos. Lars perhaps does not want to relinquish the title of fastest drummer in the west, he's an "elder " now, the pressure is on!:) It must be hard to lose two great bass players like Cliffy and Jason.

PS: I'm pleased to say hub trimmed his now almost white beard this morning. Took years off him...now he does look like Edge:)

may22_pic2.jpg

may22_pic1.jpg

well I just heard it again and I remembered what I forgot to say about the song the minute I heard it just now....James sounds like he's trying to be Dave Mustaine in parts of the song. I don't know but parts of it sound like Megadeth to me.

Anyways...if you want to check out the video here you go:

http://metallica.com

as I suspected....after listening to it a several times, I don't think it's as bad as I thought it was. I think I listened to it about 5 times in a row and I'm gonna say it's ok. I just think it's not the best they've ever done.

I'm still buying the album the day it comes out and if they pass through my town on tour there's no way I'm not going to see them live. I'll be at the arena bright and early on the day the tickest go on sale. :yes:

edge looks much better. I heard the first 15 secs of this song and thought it sounded bad, maybe next time i'll give it more of a chance.

what's funny to me is that hetfield used to be about the anti-style (I got a trans am and drink bud).
now he's cool on VH1 with short hair and a beenie and a hooded sweatshirt.
too bad their music still sucks like it did in 1983.

u2popmofo said:
Man, I think I'm the only person I've seen online on any music sites who likes this song.

I have bad taste.

I know how that goes... I've only heard it once, and maybe I passed judgement on it too quickly. Could it be the fact that they're missing a very important member?... a certain bassist? Their live album a few years back had some redeeming qualities, but it might take a while for this new material to rub off on me. I'm a tough sell I guess.

:up: for being different.

Cujie, in some ways it's probably my fault for bringing up Metallica in a U2 forum.

From what I've seen, U2 fans dont exactly listen to lots of different kinds of music. You shouldnt bring up anything other than "easy listening" or "soft rock" in this forum for the most part.

To each their own. I admit I like crappy music, but other people like a different kind of crappy music than I do. I can accept that.

Harder stuff :up:

Sabbath :up:

Metallica's new stuff :yet to be decided:

u2popmofo said:
Cujie, in some ways it's probably my fault for bringing up Metallica in a U2 forum.

From what I've seen, U2 fans dont exactly listen to lots of different kinds of music. You shouldnt bring up anything other than "easy listening" or "soft rock" in this forum for the most part.

To each their own. I admit I like crappy music, but other people like a different kind of crappy music than I do. I can accept that.

I think that it's cool if you want to bring up Metallica. I stayed up really late last weekend and watched a rerun of their Mtv Icon special. I've always thought they were a great live band, which shows they've got lots of talent. I'm not into all of their stuff, but they are on my radar screen.

I haven't heard the new song yet, so I've got no comment on that. But from that still picture, James is looking a little Edge wannabe-ish. Then again, I guess it's probably only the U2 fans who think that Edge has a monopoly on the rock-n-roll beanie. :edge:

u2popmofo said:

Well Mofo, to be honest, I was going to start this thread a few days ago when I saw the video but I didn't for two reasons.

1. I didn't know if anyone here appreciates Metallica because not many people around here listen to the stuff I've listened to in the past. (Iron Maiden anyone?)

2. I didn't want to start a Metallica thread and then say "oh by the way I think the new songs sucks" having only heard it one time.

Your comment about "easy listening or soft rock" is exactly why I didn't start this thread because I figured I'd get the crap beaten out of me. When all I listened to was Metallica, I thought U2 sucked. I'm very excited to be able to listen to both of them now and I'm very excited for the new album to come out. Music hasn't exactly gone my way the past 10 years and I'm glad the sound I like is coming back.....MTV2 has Headbanger's Ball again. That makes me very happy, even though I don't know half the bands they play.

Don't be too hard on yourself for starting a Metallica thread. 9 times out of 10 I don't like a song the first time I hear it, especially if it's by one of my favorite bands because I have very high expectations of what I want to hear from them. You want to have a Metallica discussion, I think you know where to go. I'll talk about them with you anytime. :yes:

I don't think that anyone should ever feel like they shouldn't bring up a certain band. I like Metallica and think they are a great live band, and have been a huge influence in hard rock. It doesn't mean when a hear a shitty song, I can't call them out on it. They should be called out on it. They should be making better stuff than this. There are a few U2 songs I think are shitty too. Doesn't mean I don't love em.

womanfish said:
I don't think that anyone should ever feel like they shouldn't bring up a certain band. I like Metallica and think they are a great live band, and have been a huge influence in hard rock. It doesn't mean when a hear a shitty song, I can't call them out on it. They should be called out on it. They should be making better stuff than this. There are a few U2 songs I think are shitty too. Doesn't mean I don't love em.

Well it was a while ago and Mofo knows what I'm talking about but :gasp: I brought up the fact that I was a MASSIVE Kiss fan for about 10 years on another thread and I got the crap beaten out of me. So I tend to stay away from mentioning my love for heavy metal around here because I'd rather not have another conversation like that again.

But I did become friends with Mofo and Cujo after that little incident :hug: :kiss:

Hahaha, headache, thanks again for bringing such disturbingly funny imagry to my threads.

Thank you everone else for being cool mambo jambos. :up:
You are all cool. I support that.

the same said it my mother...: "is Edge?", and I: "noooooo, is Metallica's James Hetfield, another band that I like"

Back
Top Bottom