Metallica video for new song/Is that Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spin Magazine gave the new album an A- . Rollingstone gave it 4 stars.

Pretty dang good ratings.

Last edited:
I got the album last night. Holy s$@#! It's really good. If you can get into some serious speed metal. The title track is probably the most melodic of the album, with the most identifiable chorus. The only issue I have is with the drums. Not the actual drumming, but the fact that they sound so off. I know it was intentional, but maybe when I see the live versions on the DVD (I haven't had time to watch yet), I'll be able to appreciate it more.

There is one thing that pisses me off about Metallica right now. OK, most people don't like Load and ReLoad, I understand this. I love them. Sue me. But not only are they leaving these songs out of their live sets, they're not even playing stuff from the black album (my least favorite). Now James has even said that Black, St. Anger, and Ride the Lightning are his favorite Metallica albums. If they're not even playing stuff from the frontman's favorite album, doesn't it come across as being just a little too apologetic for a band that is now singing "F#% it all and no regrets?"

Again, all that said, I give the album 4 and a half stars out of 5.

Screw running this morning, I think I'll go pick me up the album!!!

I'm into harder music...
Ours is probably the hardest I'll listen to. Them, VAST, Stavesacre

but heavy metal annoys me to no end. The scatching voices...where they try with all they can to sound all "dark" and "demonic".
that DAMN drop D muted guitar strum thing...to hell with that

metallica, however, have put out some good songs that get away from that stereotype...like Unforgiven and stuff

Crap, I still havent gone to the store yet. I made lunch for a friend. I need to go get this thing. I will have it within the hour.

:up:

Arw, what are your favorite songs? I played St. Anger (the song) for my friend who is a huge Metallica fan today. He hadnt heard it yet. He loved it! What's on the dvd?

Let's see...I like Dirty Window, Invisible Kid and then I'm not sure yet. I know I loved a few others but I wasn't paying attention to the names. I'll get back to you later :D I can't really say which ones I love. I just know that it's way better than I thought it was going to be and I keep using the :hyper: smilie and I don't use that one too often.

I haven't even gotten to the DVD to watch it but according to the sticker on the CD it's 80 minutes of watching the band recording the album.

My sister just emailed me and said that she's ashamed and embarassed for Metallica. WTF. She hasn't even listened to the album and all she's read about today is how it sucks. :middlefingersmilie:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO FREAKING HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frantic RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! St. Anger sounds WAY better on the cd too.

Other than that, I cant say much. I'm only on #3 -Some Kind of Monster right now. Wow, I'm honestly impressed so far.

PS- Where on earth did your sister read that it was bad? Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars, Spin Magazine gave it an A-. You really dont get much better than those kind of ratings.

UnforgettableLemon said:
The only issue I have is with the drums. Not the actual drumming, but the fact that they sound so off.

That was my major quam... Lars, Lars, Lars.

Punk drums in heavy metal? Maybe I'm just not hearing it right.

Good review though :up:

"Shoot Me Again" is freaking awesome.

edit:

"The Unnamed Feeling" is also an early favorite for yours truely.

Add "All Within My Hands" to that list too.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

PS- Where on earth did your sister read that it was bad? Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars, Spin Magazine gave it an A-. You really dont get much better than those kind of ratings.

she probably read it in People magazine or some place like that. She doesn't know anything. She called me not too long ago laughing and said that I wasted my money. She's such a loser.

arw9797 said:

I haven't even gotten to the DVD to watch it but according to the sticker on the CD it's 80 minutes of watching the band recording the album.

Actually, it's every track on the album, played live in the studio by the band with Robert Trujillo. The full songs, too, not just clips.

Oh, and to those undecided. The CD comes with a password to Metallica Vault. Online source for live songs, rare songs, covers, b-sides, etc. Free. And right now it has three full shows, from the Load, ReLoad, and ...And Justice for All tours.

UnforgettableLemon said:

Actually, it's every track on the album, played live in the studio by the band with Robert Trujillo. The full songs, too, not just clips.

Cool! :up:

I can't watch it now. I just watched the Red Rocks concert and right now I'm in the middle of a U2 love fest so I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Are the tracks on the DVD the same as the album, or are they live cuts in the studio? I watched for a second, but not enough to tell if they were different versions as the album.

(you can also listen to the audio tracks on the DVD in 5.1 Dolby Surround)

arw9797 said:

she probably read it in People magazine or some place like that. She doesn't know anything. She called me not too long ago laughing and said that I wasted my money. She's such a loser.

Don't mean to rain on the love-fest. I have listened to it a few more times and am still very underwhelmed. Oh well, glad you guys are liking it.

As for reviews - I take Rolling Stone and Spin with a large grain of salt. Whenever there is a highly anticipated release by a big name, they usually fall all over themselves to write a great review (doesn't hurt the relationship with the band/label, etc... for interviews and the like) and then when the album doesn't do well sales-wise, or gets some bad consumer reaction they do a 180 and trash it 6 months later. Go back and read the initial reviews of POP in both Rolling Stone and Spin. Then see how they trash that album time and again ever since.

Maybe your sis read one of the several reviews I have seen that go a little something like this:

METALLICA - St. Anger (Elektra) (4.0 /10)

I'm trying to listen to St. Anger the way Metallica would insist I should. I'm trying to remember the old hessians who thought ...And Justice For All was a piece of shit, and clutched their Montrose albums close to their chest when I cranked that album in high school. I'm trying to suspend my jaded disbelief and make myself think -- for just 75 minutes -- that Metallica really are pushing some kind of boundaries here.

It's an impossible trick, though -- I'm not that young any more. Trouble is, neither is Metallica. The difference between my advancing age and theirs is, when I scrunch my eyes shut and pretend I'm a kid again for too long, I get fired and don't make my rent. When Metallica does it, a crew of paid employees of Metallica Inc. (including Bob Rock, whose reputation will hopefully be destroyed by this yes-man rubber-stamp job) pat them on the back and say "ya still got it, kiddo!"

St. Anger is the sound of millionaires slumming. I hear the Entombed they're ripping off on "Frantic" and "Dirty Window," but James Hetfield couldn't snarl like L-G Petrov even when Metallica were kids. I don't think "St. Anger" would be a bad song, honestly -- but after all their talk of editing themselves, and not being so indulgent, they sure as hell didn't take the knife to this 7:21 monstrosity very well. "Some Kind of Monster" is, if this makes sense, the "And Justice For All" of "Load" -- a ludicrous, overbaked epic, only with fat doom riffs (think "Sad But True" stretched like old bubble gum) instead of dry, pseudo-technical thrash (it's even got a "we the people/are we the people?" Justice-style motif).

You can't write songs like this unless you're set for life, with endless studio time. Anyone in a garage with limited resources, or trucking around the country in a van playing these songs to 45 drunks a night, would quickly tighten up these indulgent, sprawling arrangements. And yes, the snare sounds like shit -- horribly, annoyingly, distractingly so. After all my wordy analysis, the reason I never pop St. Anger back into the player may just be that CLANG CLANG CLANG noise.

I wanted this record to be good. I've been waiting 11 years for the punchline -- for the scruffy ne'er-do-wells of Master of Puppets to walk out on stage, say "had ya goin' there, didn't we?" and, laughing their asses off, kick off the next phase of metal. I don't care that Kirk's gay and Lars is a dink. I don't care that James is now apparently Stuart Smalley with mutton-chops. I thought -- and I still think -- Metallica have it in them to kick us all in the ass again.

I think the problem here is, they think that's what they're doing on St. Anger -- but they've grown too comfortable in their skins as melodic, moody, MTV rock and rollers, as dangerous as a flamejob t-shirt bought at Wal-Mart. They've tried to get scary and extreme and heavy here, but they just don't know how. Hetfield trying to sing tough is embarrassing... they can't wow us with crushing fast rhythms because, well, Lars... and "lead guitarist" Kirk might as well have been out yachting for the duration of these sessions (seriously, "Dirty Window" dies for lack of a ripping solo halfway through).

I don't think I'd even care that St. Anger is a downtuned, noisy, numbing mess reeking of desperation and flop-sweat -- if I thought there'd be another Metallica record by the end of 2004. I'd chalk it up to transition and wait for the next one to rule. I think we all know how likely that is to happen, though.

Hell, at this point, I wouldn't even mind if they reconvened next year to flense this dead elephant and reconstruct an ass-kicking 40-minute album from the leftovers. There are pieces here worth saving -- anyone serious about editing themselves would have cut the last two minutes of "Shoot Me Again," for example, and thrown the rest out for chum.

It woulda been less embarrassing to see Metallica just knock out another Black Album -- then we'd know they were shills, and we'd have something listenable to boot. Because I'm convinced -- call me crazy -- that they're actually trying to be sincere here. How else to explain Hetfield bellowing
"Look out motherfuckers, here I come" in "My World," and then following it up with the straight-outta-therapy "gonna make my head my home"? It's as if James and Lars decided that, no matter what, they were gonna get down in the dirt with the kids, look 'em in the eye, and be completely honest... only to realize they didn't really have anything worthwhile to say.

Oh, and did I mention that CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG.....
- Keith Bergman

Back
Top Bottom