Metallica video for new song/Is that Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's good Strato Edge!! I'm not the only one!! :up:

Good stuff Jack In The Box. I totally think he looks somewhat like the Edge!!

in another forum: "or the Metallica new song wrote Linkin Park or these guys exceeded of drugs" :lmao:

arw9797... Your opinions are much appreciated IMO (by me at least). If you're a big fan of metal than flaunt it or don't hide it. Yeah the crowd doesn't seem appreciative of "hard" rock but then I could care less about what they think as should you. I mean metal is an equally signifcant/ powerful stuff.

Reading something other than Britpop love or "alternative" music love on this forum can be much more interesting. Its a nice change of pace compared to all the love given to the it bands.

Finally listened to St. Anger (and although) I'm not too familiar with Metallica (I've listened to Justice for All and the Black Album) I think this song would probably a better live song than what they put out on this album.

Some great points here!

The forum here is much like any other part of society where people get this concocted (sp?) image in their head of what people around them should like, and what they should not like. It all goes back to "class stereotypes." I am equally guilty as the next person of lumping people into categories by what music they like or how they dress, etc. etc. And people will specifically not liek a band because THEY have put them into a category. I think it would be an intersting sociology expereiment/research project.

But, U2 is a band, because of it widespread popularity, that cross many styles of music. Just think of how many different radio station formats play U2 - you can hear them next to easy listening favorites or after a hip hop artist on a Top 40 station, or next to Metallica or AFI on a local college station (FuManchu knows what I am talking about with 107.1 the Planet in C-U).

Cheers to those who start threads about "other" types of music!

I'm surprised you guys feel like this, about this board that is. Well, ok I'm not really. But I am kinda. Actually, to be more specific, I think its the derisive tone that seemed to come form some of the posts that suprised me. Its not so bad to like soft rock, as it is to like heavy metal. I think in the belief that when someone says they like (for example) Shania Twain, there's the assumption they wont like Metallica (for example). But ironically, popmofo, you say U2 fans dont like diversity (not in those words, but various posts here indicate that). I'm sure if enough attention is paid to threads in here, you can come to conclusions. But those conclusions dont take into account the countless bands that people never mention. Like Metallica. If I mentioned some of the pop stuff that I like, some of the current stuff that is broadly written off in here, you'd prolly think I have narrow taste. I am fairly certain I dont. There's only a few bands that I really love in a complete sense. As for the rest, there's wide variety in what I personally listen to. I was once enough of a Metallica fan to go see them live. That was pretty much enough for me though lol. That concert was something to behold :D
Anyways, I cant add anything about the song as I haven't heard it yet. But now I'm curious to give it a listen or 2.

How about we just move on? :D

Has heard any of the other songs off the new album yet? I haven't had a chance to see if there's something else online yet and I would love to hear another song....:hmm: I should look on Metallica's official site.....

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:down: easy listening

come on now cujo... you can't tell me you aren't a huge fan of canada's own easy listening queen...

I'm disappointed that you didn't follow up with:

"oh wait, maybe you'd prefer her husband Ren?... I know what you think of old, beer-bellied, balding men..."

Good one Headache, I bow down to your level of mockery :up:

If there are any "metal-hesitant" fans out there... check out Metallica's Live Compilation "S&M" (The Symphony and Metallica). It's a really great live LP, and the orchestra is conducted by Michael Kamen (I'm sure there's some U2 fans who recognize that name... he arranged the instrumentals for a few Passengers performances). The content is not as "heavy" for those lighter fans... but there are also some great metal performances. I used to study for Calculus while listening to this... very condusive for integrals. Seriously.

No Leaf Clover :up:

cujo said:

I used to study for Calculus while listening to this... very condusive for integrals. Seriously.

I used to have to listen to music to help me fall asleep after going to school all day and then working and then homework. It was just too much in one day for me a lot of the time. Metallica was my favorite night time music for a long time :D

arw9797 said:
How about we just move on? :D

Exactly arw, I'm really suprised my comments turned into such an issue. They were honestly done in jest for the most part. Yes, it is true that I believe most U2 fans dont really stray from the similar musical genre you'd probably lump U2 into, but that's not suprising. I honestly dont think badly about anyone because of that.

Music is, and always will be, 100% personal preference. NO one needs a reason to have to defend bands they like. If you like something, you just do. If you dont, you dont.

Back to Metallica, I personally think they're one of the most influential rock bands of our generation. Their early albums wrote the absolute blueprints for metal in the '80's. The Black album was and is a modern classic, I think pretty much everyone would agree with me on that.

I just hope that some fans of certain genres can force themselves to sometimes listen to music that they wouldnt normally think they'd like, or music that they have conscious or subconscious negative thoughts/images of. Expanding your musical horizons is definitly not a bad thing.

PS- Metallica: S&M is one of my favorite live albums ever

u2popmofo said:

Back to Metallica, I personally think they're one of the most influential rock bands of our generation. Their early albums wrote the absolute blueprints for metal in the '80's. The Black album was and is a modern classic, I think pretty much everyone would agree with me on that.

I completely agree with you about that. :D

Their stuff in the 80's is so incredible. Metallica was the ultimate shit at my school when And Justice For All came out. That album changed the way a lot of the kids at my school listened to music. Including me. I had some metal stuff before that album, but nothing like that at all. There are 3 albums from that time period, maybe 4, that I will always remember everyone around me talking about and that is one of them.

I have always felt, and feel free to disagree with me on this, And Justice For All and the Black album are Metallica's Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Look at how incredible And Justice For All and the Joshua Tree are and how successful they were. Then look at the follow ups. Different sound but equally successful, if not more.

Unfortunately I wasn't a U2 fan in 1991 but I remember the comments by people who were. A lot of them didn't like Achtung Baby after being a hardcore Joshua Tree fan. The same goes for Metallica. All my friends were huge Metallica fans and they all loved And Justice For All. I remember a lot of people didn't like the Black album because Metallica went "soft" blah blah blah....I also remember a lot of people saying that U2 or Metallica were new to them in 1991 because of the current albums that came out. Different bands and music but the conversation was the same for both of them. At least where I was. Interesting too that they came out in 1987/88 then the follow ups came out in 1991.

Arw, that's so funny. I was totally going to make that Joshua Tree/Achtung baby comparison too!!!

Hahaha. :up: Good stuff.

I also like Metallica and U2 for a lot of the same reasons. For instance, I really have a lot of respect for any band out there who can still release albums after they've been around for 20 years and still get commercial success and critical acclaim. That alone is pretty amazing.

cujo said:

I'm disappointed that you didn't follow up with:

"oh wait, maybe you'd prefer her husband Ren?... I know what you think of old, beer-bellied, balding men..."

Good one Headache, I bow down to your level of mockery :up:

If there are any "metal-hesitant" fans out there... check out Metallica's Live Compilation "S&M" (The Symphony and Metallica). It's a really great live LP, and the orchestra is conducted by Michael Kamen (I'm sure there's some U2 fans who recognize that name... he arranged the instrumentals for a few Passengers performances). The content is not as "heavy" for those lighter fans... but there are also some great metal performances. I used to study for Calculus while listening to this... very condusive for integrals. Seriously.

No Leaf Clover :up:

no leaf clover rocks... i absolutely love that song. and cujo... this one's for you...

Who's the Canadian super freak that gets alll the chicks...
RENE... damn straight...
Who's the balding music producer who took advantage of a teenage girl who he'd later marry... RENE... can ya' dig it?
rene.jpg

Who's the Canadian super freak that gets alll the chicks...
RENE... damn straight...
Who's the balding music producer who took advantage of a teenage girl who he'd later marry... RENE... can ya' dig it?
rene.jpg

Hilarity in action

as the legend goes... one day rene said to celine... "celine, i will make you a star. you will sing annoying songs about selfish english chicks who refuse to share their piece of wood with their dying boyfriend, you will pretend to drive mini-vans in commercials, and you shall wear one-piece suits showing off your massive yo-yo. do this, and you shall be a star."
so celine answered "oh that sounds wonderful, renee. how can i ever repay you?"
and renee replied, "simple, my dear. you shall wait until you turn 18, and then you shall claim that you all of a sudden out of the blue fell in love with me, a 50 year old balding fat man. and if you do this, you shall be that star."
and so it was... and it was good.

oh... and yeah... woohoo metallica... or somethin'... what was this thread originaly about? :scratch::shrug: ahh who cares

Last edited:
Yikes.

Black Belt Jones :up:

Headache... that was the best E! True Hollywood story of Ren? the pervert I've ever heard.

PS- St. Anger is rubbing off on me a bit... the video is cool. I like how the guy "raises the roof" with his wooden leg. :yes:

thank you... and you know what, i think you're right... and i think rene' deserves his own thread, don't you?

: pondering :

hmmm. I'm madly in anger with him. Your idea intrigues me. You must do it. :wink:

:up: Good stuff Headache. You da man.

I heard that they're bumping the release date of St. Anger to Thursday... can anyone else confirm that?

I just checked their website. You were correct Cujo.

Thursday is the day.

Last edited:
It comes out this Thursday now? :hyper: you know that song is starting to grow on me because I got excited when I heard the opening guitar riff on the radio that other day and I knew it was new Metallica.

:love:I'm madly in anger with you too Mofo:love:

if you get that CD on Thursday we need to meet up on aim a listen to it together this weekend! :yes: randooooooooooom Metallica chat Thursday nite!

The album comes out tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar that tommorow,
There will be an album.

Yes, I just quoted a Broadway showtune in a Metallica thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom