Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
She's the One

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

My nephew and I went to see this today. It cover the months it took to make St. Anger. It had plenty of whining, therapy with an expensive and annoying therapist, rehab, Lars complaining, more whining, accusations of self-centeredness, and music.

BUT

It was (at times) a fascinating look into the creative process of very talented and fucked-up musicians. I recommend it for Metallica fans and music fans.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:55 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:36 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing this. I dont consider myself a huge fan of theirs by any means, but I do really like most of their first decade of music. I'd like to see this movie just to see what was the thought process behind making the Saint Anger album.....

Old 07-24-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 01:36 PM
sigh....

I know, I know... I need to get over myself, or something, but I just can't make myself go see it.

I used to be a huge Metallica fan, saw them in concert 5 times, the whole deal. I had my "James Hetfield Religious Experience" from my perch in the 8th row. I spent entire sleepless nights listening to Fade to Black over, and over, and over.

I don't know what combination of changes occurred in me and in them, but with the exception of "Hero of the Day" I haven't been able to listen to a damned thing they released since Black -- and we bitched plenty about Black back then -- hell we complained about And Justice.. -- if only we knew what was coming....

Lars has succeeded in absolutely repelling me, with his Napster whining and everything else.

.......I miss Cliff.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden

.......I miss Cliff.
everybody miss Cliff...

I miss Cliff
Old 07-25-2004, 03:25 AM   #5
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 02:36 PM
I plan on seeing this
Old 07-25-2004, 04:21 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Don't know if I'll actually see it in the theaters, but if I ever do get the chance to check it out somewhere, I might do so. It does sound kinda interesting.

Angela
Old 07-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #7
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I wanna see it. I consider myself a mild fan of Metallica, though I absolutely can't stand Lars. Even if he got a slightly bad rap on the downloading thing, he's an arrogant asshole all the same.

I've read a couple interviews from the directors about the film, and what really struck me was how completely honest and open Metallica were, and how supportive they were of the director's wishes. When Elektra wanted to turn it into a reality tv series, Metallica paid $4 million out of pocket to buy the rights to the movie, and then basically told the directors "do it your way."

That's pretty damn cool.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:28 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:36 AM
I couldn't give a flying friars fuck what Lars thinks of Napster, or what he eats for breakfast, or how quickly he sold out. But that said I do like quite a bit of the music so I will await it's arival on dvd (if it ever gets there) and watch.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden

Lars has succeeded in absolutely repelling me, with his Napster whining and everything else.
Prepare yourself, then, if you ever decide to see this movie. Because Lars spends virtually all his screen time whining, bitching, and generally being repellant.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 PM
I would never pay $13 for a movie ticket to see a bunch of drama that I could see in my home for free on the real world. They're cashing in on this whole "reality TV" bullshit.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:49 AM   #11
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I couldn't give a flying friars fuck
Wow. That's the coolest variation of "I don't care" that I've ever come across.

Bravo!

Old 07-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #12
The Fly

heh. i actually saw this months ago at a screening here in san fran. the band showed up to the premiere and answered a ton of questions. they were all pretty cool.

i'm not a huge metallica fan, in fact i didn't know too much of their music until i saw the movie and listened to some of their albums later. It's a really interesting documentary into their lives, the process...and it's utterly facinating to watch and hillarious at times. i say check it out...

thumbs up!!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I couldn't give a flying friars fuck what Lars thinks of Napster, or what he eats for breakfast, or how quickly he sold out. But that said I do like quite a bit of the music so I will await it's arival on dvd (if it ever gets there) and watch.

idem

wait a minute.......... since when is metallica music?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
I would never pay $13 for a movie ticket to see a bunch of drama that I could see in my home for free on the real world. They're cashing in on this whole "reality TV" bullshit.
I don't think I agree here. Putting rock music and rock musicians on film has been a tradition since the 50s and 60s - documenting the creative process, etc etc.

Wilco did it to critical acclaim with "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" (or whatever their movie was called) and Barenaked Ladies had similar acclaim with "Barenaked in America."
Old 07-28-2004, 12:14 AM   #15
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomer

wait a minute.......... since when is metallica music?
Go find thee a bridge, troll.