Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
My nephew and I went to see this today. It cover the months it took to make St. Anger. It had plenty of whining, therapy with an expensive and annoying therapist, rehab, Lars complaining, more whining, accusations of self-centeredness, and music.

BUT

It was (at times) a fascinating look into the creative process of very talented and fucked-up musicians. I recommend it for Metallica fans and music fans.

I wouldnt mind seeing this. I dont consider myself a huge fan of theirs by any means, but I do really like most of their first decade of music. I'd like to see this movie just to see what was the thought process behind making the Saint Anger album.....

sigh....

I know, I know... I need to get over myself, or something, but I just can't make myself go see it.

I used to be a huge Metallica fan, saw them in concert 5 times, the whole deal. I had my "James Hetfield Religious Experience" from my perch in the 8th row. I spent entire sleepless nights listening to Fade to Black over, and over, and over.

I don't know what combination of changes occurred in me and in them, but with the exception of "Hero of the Day" I haven't been able to listen to a damned thing they released since Black -- and we bitched plenty about Black back then -- hell we complained about And Justice.. -- if only we knew what was coming....

Lars has succeeded in absolutely repelling me, with his Napster whining and everything else.

.......I miss Cliff.

I wanna see it. I consider myself a mild fan of Metallica, though I absolutely can't stand Lars. Even if he got a slightly bad rap on the downloading thing, he's an arrogant asshole all the same.

I've read a couple interviews from the directors about the film, and what really struck me was how completely honest and open Metallica were, and how supportive they were of the director's wishes. When Elektra wanted to turn it into a reality tv series, Metallica paid $4 million out of pocket to buy the rights to the movie, and then basically told the directors "do it your way."

That's pretty damn cool. :up:

I couldn't give a flying friars fuck what Lars thinks of Napster, or what he eats for breakfast, or how quickly he sold out. But that said I do like quite a bit of the music so I will await it's arival on dvd (if it ever gets there) and watch.
:up:

I would never pay $13 for a movie ticket to see a bunch of drama that I could see in my home for free on the real world. They're cashing in on this whole "reality TV" bullshit.

heh. i actually saw this months ago at a screening here in san fran. the band showed up to the premiere and answered a ton of questions. they were all pretty cool.

i'm not a huge metallica fan, in fact i didn't know too much of their music until i saw the movie and listened to some of their albums later. It's a really interesting documentary into their lives, the process...and it's utterly facinating to watch and hillarious at times. i say check it out...

thumbs up!!

Angela Harlem said:
I couldn't give a flying friars fuck what Lars thinks of Napster, or what he eats for breakfast, or how quickly he sold out. But that said I do like quite a bit of the music so I will await it's arival on dvd (if it ever gets there) and watch.
:up:

idem

wait a minute.......... since when is metallica music?

isabelle_guns said:
I would never pay $13 for a movie ticket to see a bunch of drama that I could see in my home for free on the real world. They're cashing in on this whole "reality TV" bullshit.

I don't think I agree here. Putting rock music and rock musicians on film has been a tradition since the 50s and 60s - documenting the creative process, etc etc.

Wilco did it to critical acclaim with "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" (or whatever their movie was called) and Barenaked Ladies had similar acclaim with "Barenaked in America."

I'm sorry if this is an old thread but I just want to say something. I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. I love the band. U2 and Metallica are my favorite bands ever. I watched this movie when I was in NYC and was blown out of my mind. It's the best rock documentary ever, it's definitely got nothing to do with reality TV as someone said before. Some people should just be quiet sometimes if they don?t know what they are talking about. Anyway I understand how much some people hate Lars but I think this movie would be the best way to give people a second look at the man. You can see how dedicate, caring, smart and a great guy he is. I always thought that him and Bono would be great friends (people seem to either absolutely hate or love them but not only that they have a lot more in common). I'm definitely going to buy this film on DVD specially cause I know that there will be lots of extra footage there that I desperately want to see. This film is also great cause it completely kills a lot of clich?s and wrong ideas people who don't listen to heavy metal or don't like Metallica have about the genre and the band. That moment where James drops it all to go see his daughter on her ballet deal is an example. One thing that wasn?t discussed on the doc (mainly cause there was nothing to do with what it was about, which would be that moment) was that most of them had a fucked up past when they were kids. I thought it was also great that the theater that I went to was filled with Metallica fans and people who didn't looked to be Metallica fans but were definitely interested in what was happening on the screen. Plus some moments were funny as hell! Anyway if I was a big fan before I?m an even bigger fan of them now as a band and as individuals. Metallica rocks, always have and always will. I like the fact that there is a good amount of people here who seems to have enjoyed the doc. The people who said cool things about them kick ass too! :up:

Back
Top Bottom