metallica - question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well.. it depends if you like hard rock/heavy metal.

If so, Metallica is a very influential band in that arena (obviously).

Many fans would reco older Metallica like "Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightening."

"Metallica", famously called the "Black Album" is their most accessible offering, and it's most wellknown worldwide.

Up to you! It's all subjective! :)

Metallica is a great band, but many people who have never listened to them before might feel like their having their teeth pulled the first time they listen to any of the first four albums. Its all very good though, but like nothing you would hear on the radio typically. Your best bet is to start off with the black album simply titled Metallica(their 5th album). If you don't like this album, its a safe bet you won't like any of the others. It is probably their most radio friendly album, if you could say that about a Metallica album.

I'll say this....Metellica has been around for over fifteen years now and their music has been evolving since. First couple of albums - Kill'em all and Ride the lightning - are their real heavy metal albums. The next two - Master of Puppets and In Justice for All - are still hard but with better musical quality (they actually took lessons to learn to play and compose!) Next, the BLack ALbum, this is the album in which they really tone it down to explore a softer side. Not the driving-edge metal we had seen in the previous albums.

A couple of years later they put out an album called LOAD. This one was a more relaxed version of the Black album! Later, in conjunction with San Francisco philharmonic orchestra, they produce the S & M album. A little taste of rock with classical sounds. After this they produced, RELOAD...songs that got left off of Load.

So, to sum it up. If you want hard edged metellica music, go to their first four albums. If you want less edge, start at the black album (enter sandman, sad but true) and work your way forward.

Everything that people has said has been true thus far, the earlier stuff is heavier, and for the most part its all great in my opinion. Reload is a solid album, stuff left off of load as mentioned, and is probably one of my favorite ones... I dont know why, but it seems a lot of people hate the newer metallica sound, but as I see it, with songs like Fuel, how can you go wrong? *goes to hunt down mp3s and/or my cousin's cds again*

To get a good overview of their evolution which daafish mentioned, you may want to check out the GARAGE INC. 2CD set; it isn't a "greatest hits" but it is a good sampling of their musical stages through the years, with some pretty good covers thrown in. Also, the S&M 2CD set with conductor Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra casts their best songs through a new light, and the black CD is my favorite.

And I agree with them in the whole Napster debate.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom