Metal appreciation thread..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Metal appreciation thread.....

After hearing snippets on the local alternative radio station here in Australia of Dave Grohl's new metal inspired album, I forgot how much I love this genre of music. As a young teenager I really loved the likes of Sepultura, Pantera and Fear Factory but as music evolves a lot of the newer harder bands went into the 'rap metal' kind of style, anyway is there anyone out there who still digs harder music?????

my top 5 metal songs,

Sepultura- Ratamahatta
Pantera- Heresy
Fear Factory- Resurrection
Soundgarden- Jesus christ pose
Black Sabbath- War pigs- I know its an oldie, but hey its such a classic and friends of mine who play in a local covers band do such a great version of this, so I kinda feel like it is still a newy

Old 02-05-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Oh yes, things that tickle my fancy as of late:

Black Sabbath - (Classic, I cant get enough)
Metallica - (ok, I finally admit that the new album was messed)
Rage Against the Machine - (I guess they're metal, one of my favorite bands ever regardless. Audioslave is extremely sweet too, that's more 'hard rock' I suppose)
Nightwish - (I dont own any of their albums, but I've listened to them a lot lately)
Opeth - (A band I dont know nearly enough about, but everytime I hear them I like it. Their acoustic album was brilliant)

Old 02-05-2004, 09:25 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

my ex listened to that stuff.
so I dont.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 11:11 AM
I was waiting for a threat like this

metal

i like...
Apocaliptica...
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Nightwish is so cool...
Sepultura
Stratovarius... (imagine a medieval war with this music)
Old 02-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
Blue Meth Addict

Yes, I forgot Iron Maiden.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Killed By Death-Motorhead

Best song when you're drunk and burning stuff in New Jersey during the summer of '99
Old 02-06-2004, 06:06 AM   #7
Banned

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Cage (Now Im DARKER THAN BLACKK)

Blind Guardian (And than there was silence)

Judas Priest (Brighter than a thousand suuuUUUUUUUN) Halford is a great gay
Old 02-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Metal , I like some metal bands
my top 5 metal bands:

Dimmu Borgir (fav song: Entrance)
Six Feet Under (The Enemy Inside)
Pain (Injected Paradise)
Children of Bodom (Warheart)
Immortal (Mountains of Might)

other bands that i like:

Rotting Christ, Soilwork, Opeth, Emperor, Arch Enemy, Dark Funeral, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem, Theatre of Tragedy, Lacuna Coil, Bathory, Hipocrisy, Finntroll, etc.

and of course... the classics: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sepultura and Pantera

I don't like power metal (Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarious, etc.) and nu metal

and... that's all
Old 02-07-2004, 05:23 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack In The Box
Metal , I like some metal bands
my top 5 metal bands:

Dimmu Borgir (fav song: Entrance)
Six Feet Under (The Enemy Inside)
Pain (Injected Paradise)
Children of Bodom (Warheart)
Immortal (Mountains of Might)

Lacuna Coil

I don't like power metal (Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarious, etc.)
Another Black /Death Metal Fan

Like you like actually those cheesy Lacuna Coil instead Iced Earth or Blind Guardian phew what a bad Trip.

I still can´t understand why people keen on those growling vocal (not Lacuna Coil but the other aformentioned bands) instead of those majestic operatic vocals. Guess they´ve been retarded.

Im wondering if you are really u2 fan. I mean dont be offended , but most of Nu Metal Band fans will be embarrased after listening to real Metal Band like IM or Metallica and leave the bandwagon and jump to the heavy metal train. But im not leaving or many aren´t (dont plan also to do it) u2´s wagon , altough u2 are not as skilled as those Metal band ´(Fuck what am i saying). I would prefer to listen to any Edge´s atmospheric Riffs rather than those blasting solos from John Petrucci. Its because u2 have théir own trademark, which cant be copied (i mean Like iced Earth copy ron Maiden, Dimmu Borgir Mayhem ,Dream Theater Rush etc). And i can´t recall having any metal cd´s which is better than the Unforgettable Fire.

So the conclusion would be: U2 are the best band in the worlddespite of their lack of skill. They show the world that art can oly be created by art itself but not by grandious accomplished Music Skill , or highly complex arragements. #

Amen
Old 02-08-2004, 04:22 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
i think dream theater is the best metal band in the world, this is not just a band, this is an orchestra!! other good bands are symphony x, angra
Old 02-08-2004, 04:36 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
oh come crawling, you're a bit hard!! metal is not an easy genre to listen, i agree with you under certain aspects, for instance on the black/death metal, i think as much that this is not music, just evil noise but there are other genres, like power metal and especially progressive metal, that every fine music expert should know. of course edge is fabulous, but john petrucci...he's a master anyway there are so many good metal guitarists like steve vai, joe satriani, malmsteen, steve morse or michael romeo (just a few names) who really know what music is!! and when i see all the r&b videos running on tv, so senseless music where the deepest verse that you can hear is "baby, i love you", now this makes me angry!!
Old 02-08-2004, 05:13 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Come Crawling, what are you talking about? I guess you already know U2 are not a metal band...and what Jack in the Box posted is simply her own personal taste, and therefore perfectly ok...No need to be offensive.

Back on topic though, I accidently downloaded some Lacuna Coil a while back and didn't listen to it until someone over at the Bush board was recommending them to someone else, so I gave them a listen. They're not too bad. I am not very knowledgeable on metal. It actually gets me all confused after a while when it starts blending from plain old hard rock. Too many labels for music genres these days. I can't keep up.
I like Metallica though. On CD. The rest I am not sure which category they come under so wont post them.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:16 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by babyman
i think dream theater is the best metal band in the world, this is not just a band, this is an orchestra!! other good bands are symphony x, angra
Okay , i was at their (DT) concert. They are fantastic i agree, but U2 have this kind of Magnet . U know those songs like Gloria, October (f**kin great.1 and half minute pure relaxness and power ,S**t), The Unforgettable Fire , New Years Day ,Pride, Bad, Where The Street has no Name , Red Mining Hill Town and a lot more to mention can´t be written by Dream Theater , cause they just don´t posses this ´catchiness´ , or whatever you like to call it. U2 haven´t studied at Berkeley Music University, they just play by their own definition of art, not complexity, or accomplished music skill are their greatest weapon, but they are reliing on their musicianship.ANd that works hell good.

And yes i agree, that Dream Theater should have gathered more Popularity than Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, or even Metallica, or those R & B artists.

And if you are telling me, that succes in our life is a function (mathematically) from Talent, Hard Work, and Perfection, well , you´ve lost, Pal. DT are one of those example, or perhaps George Winston, Gabrielle Roth, Steve Roach, Kitaro, Yanni , Bill Douglas, Paul Simon, etc.

Who fuck cares about MTV anyway ?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:21 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

I am not very knowledgeable on metal. It actually gets me all confused after a while when it starts blending from plain old hard rock. Too many labels for music genres these days. I can't keep up.
I suggest you Somewhere In Time (Iron Maiden) for begginer.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:21 AM   #15
The Fly

Don't forget the classic 80's metal bands. They get too much grief. There was a lot of good stuff I still listen to. Slaughter, Poison, Guns and Roses, Faster Pussycat, Skid Row, Britney Fox, even some Warrant and Ratt. Maybe not badass enough for some of you but very entertaining.