Messing-cum-Inworth, Essex, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to know that multiculturalism doesn't exist isn't it?

They should come to Ireland and when they get off the plane I could fool them into thinking they've landed in China because idiots annoy me

Try Toronto instead :wink:

I actually know nothing about New Zealand's history at all...I'm sure it's fairly interesting but I don't think it's available here at all :lol: It's funny but History was the subject I done best at in secondary school, I remember I done a report/project on something that was probably the complete opposite of what was expected just so I could do something different...

Generally, New Zealand history only gets a mention overseas for two reasons: firstly, in women's history, as we gave women the vote first, and secondly, in political history, as we pioneered the welfare state along with the Scandinavian countries.

History has always been a fascination of mine. I most wanted to write when I went to university but I find journalism to be intolerably sensationalist dross, hence I decided to study Political Science and History, two of my primary interests, and become an academic in one or the other. Initially, I thought it would be PolSci, with History just to give myself some contextual grounding, but I soon came to find myself preferring History. I do a lot of political history, unsurprisingly enough, but PolSci itself can be infuriatingly tedious.

Yeah. I find it a very difficult debate, especially due to all the emotions and personal investment at play. Making it illegal tends to be counter-productive, sending mothers into back alleys to undergo unsanitary and dangerous procedures. At least legalising it allows the state to control the safety of the procedure.

Fundamentally, I think the problem needs to be addressed at its cause: stop people having unsafe sex and unwanted pregnancies. (That obviously does not solve problems of rape, but it would still go a long way.)

That reminds me of a debate I once tried to have with my friends about why i thought prostitution should be legal; they thought I was crazy but honestly it makes sense to me

Prostitution exists and making it illegal will never make it go away; at least if it's made legal it can be regulated. We can at least make it safer by screening "licensed" prostitutes to make sure they have no infections, diseases, STDs etc. It might not be a perfect idea but is it better to have an unregulated industry or a regulated one that would be healthier and less dangerous and contribute tax...

Watch you all think I'm crazy

That reminds me of a debate I once tried to have with my friends about why i thought prostitution should be legal; they thought I was crazy but honestly it makes sense to me

Prostitution exists and making it illegal will never make it go away; at least if it's made legal it can be regulated. We can at least make it safer by screening "licensed" prostitutes to make sure they have no infections, diseases, STDs etc. It might not be a perfect idea but is it better to have an unregulated industry or a regulated one that would be healthier and less dangerous and contribute tax...

Watch you all think I'm crazy

It seems ridiculous to me to make prostitution illegal. Everybody who wants it illegal seems to campaign for it on a basis of enforcing their morality on the whole society. "Society will collapse if prostitution is legalised!" Hm, no, those countries with legal prostitution are actually doing just fine, and tend to have reduced levels of crime, STDs, and exploitation of women.

Generally, New Zealand history only gets a mention overseas for two reasons: firstly, in women's history, as we gave women the vote first, and secondly, in political history, as we pioneered the welfare state along with the Scandinavian countries.

History has always been a fascination of mine. I most wanted to write when I went to university but I find journalism to be intolerably sensationalist dross, hence I decided to study Political Science and History, two of my primary interests, and become an academic in one or the other. Initially, I thought it would be PolSci, with History just to give myself some contextual grounding, but I soon came to find myself preferring History. I do a lot of political history, unsurprisingly enough, but PolSci itself can be infuriatingly tedious.

That's the only thing I ever knew about history in New Zealand the women's rights movement. Do they teach about how amazing Ireland was with women's rights over there?

So you're most likely gonna end up in history after college then?

Night Wild :wave:

It seems ridiculous to me to make prostitution illegal. Everybody who wants it illegal seems to campaign for it on a basis of enforcing their morality on the whole society. "Society will collapse if prostitution is legalised!" Hm, no, those countries with legal prostitution are actually doing just fine, and tend to have reduced levels of crime, STDs, and exploitation of women.

Axver prostitution will lead to gay marriage being legal! and don't you know that will destroy the world as we know it because if gay marriage is legal no one will want to marry someone of the opposite sex

That's the only thing I ever knew about history in New Zealand the women's rights movement. Do they teach about how amazing Ireland was with women's rights over there?

So you're most likely gonna end up in history after college then?

Nope, Ireland barely registers a mention. When it comes to women's rights in Europe, generally the emphasis is on early achievements in Scandinavia, then the suffragettes in England.

Yeah, well, I'm going to do my PhD in History and pursue a career in academia.

See you, Wild. :wave:

Axver prostitution will lead to gay marriage being legal! and don't you know that will destroy the world as we know it because if gay marriage is legal no one will want to marry someone of the opposite sex

It will also make bestiality legal! People will marry dogs and cows and crows! Soon they will cross-breed and humanity as we know it will cease to exist!!!11!1`1

Nope, Ireland barely registers a mention. When it comes to women's rights in Europe, generally the emphasis is on early achievements in Scandinavia, then the suffragettes in England.

Yeah, well, I'm going to do my PhD in History and pursue a career in academia.

The first female member of parliament in Westminister was an Irish women; who took part in the 1916 Rising but was let off execution because the British were too worried about the type of reaction shooting a woman would get them; so instead they changed the court transcript so that it looked like she plead for life. She also become the first european woman to ever hold a cabinet position in a government

Awesome :up:

It will also make bestiality legal! People will marry dogs and cows and crows! Soon they will cross-breed and humanity as we know it will cease to exist!!!11!1`1

We must stop the gays from spreading!

The first female member of parliament in Westminister was an Irish women; who took part in the 1916 Rising but was let off execution because the British were too worried about the type of reaction shooting a woman would get them; so instead they changed the court transcript so that it looked like she plead for life. She also become the first european woman to ever hold a cabinet position in a government

Awesome :up:

We must stop the gays from spreading!

Hah, nice. Maybe the entire revolution should've been undertaken by women then. :wink:

And maybe they could be lesbians. We must stop the gays from spreading, but not the lesbians. That's sexxxy. Double standards, oh yeah! :happy:

The usual: I hate my father and I'm sick of being treated like I'm worthless.

On the upside, I resisted the urge to cut myself by taking a permanent marker and writing "I DESERVE NOTHING" on my forearm instead.

Hey, Superthread, need a life tip. When handwashing an item of fabric in the sink, should I use cold or hot water?

(I have never needed to handwash anything before, and although my mother told me what to do, this one detail has escaped me.)

Depends, really. If you're trying to get out a stain, or bleaching/soaking it for dinginess, I'd go with cold. If not, warm will be fine, but don't go hot.

Great, thanks. Will see how it goes. :up:

(At least it's nothing valuable to me, so if I somehow fuck it up, I can live with that.)

Nothing like a visit from my mother to get me to do things around the house I should've done ages ago. She really wouldn't care if I didn't do any of this, but I actually WANT the place to look good for her. If it were my father, I'd be in a mad panic trying to get everything perfect to avoid his nasty criticisms.

Ugh, fathers. I know what you mean, Chass. I am seriously about to totally lose it with my father if he doesn't stop doing a couple of things, and I hope to god I don't wuss out this time.

Holy shit, I didn't expect my opinion on teen marriage to be proven true so quickly. One of my friends who got married at 19 is already getting divorced after only about two years.

Woops.

I honestly don't get how people can get married and then divorce so quickly...especially those people who think marriage will fix a relationship...

I honestly don't get how people can get married and then divorce so quickly...especially those people who think marriage will fix a relationship...

I think this was a classic case of "sex outsid of marriage is immoral and we want to have sex, ergo let's marry". :|

Man, this used to be Superthread primetime. :sigh:

I see we have a new hurricane too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom