MERGED --> You are all grown up at age 26 + You're Not A Grown Up Until You're 26!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2003, 09:19 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:59 AM
I'll never grow up.

Old 05-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Well I guess I now have about 5 more years until I have to grow up!

Old 05-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:59 PM
You are all grown up at age 26

Who's a grown-up? New survey says Americans put adulthood at age 26

The law may imply that you're a grown-up when you're old enough to vote, serve in the military or drink legally. But most Americans really believe adulthood begins at age 26, according to a new study from the University of Chicago.

The study said most people don't consider a person grown up until they finish school, get a full-time job and start raising a family.

Tom W. Smith, the study's author, said the results are a sign that society has accepted what researchers have long called an "extended adolescence."

"There's a much more gradual transition [to adulthood] than was traditionally there," said Smith, a polling expert at the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center.

Take marriage, for example. In the 1950s, the most common age for brides was 18.

"In 2003, when you hear about an 18-year-old bride, the first thing you say is, 'Boy, that's unusual -- and boy, that person should've waited,' " Smith said.

According to those surveyed, the average age someone should marry was 25.7, and the age for having children was 26.2. Most respondents considered parenthood the final milestone needed to reach true adulthood.

Robert Billingham, an associate professor of human development and family studies at Indiana University, said the trend of delayed adulthood can be partly explained by society's emphasis on attending college. And, he said, as more people pursue postgraduate studies to find jobs, traditional adult activities are likely to be postponed even longer.

The new data is based on findings from the research center's 2002 General Social Survey, a continuing poll of American adults that began in 1972 and which Smith oversees. Nearly 1,400 of those surveyed last year were asked to answer the questions about adulthood.

They were asked to rate the importance of seven stages of transition into adulthood -- from attaining financial independence to getting married and having children. They also were asked to specify the ages at which those stages should be achieved.

For categories other than marriage and having children, the average ages were: financially independent, age 20.9; not living with parents, age 21.2; full-time employment, age 21.2; finishing school, age 22.3, and being able to support a family, age 24.5.

In terms of ranking the importance of each category, the report found that completing an education was most valued, with 73 percent of those surveyed calling it an "extremely important" step in achieving adulthood.

The remainder of the transitions followed: being employed full-time, 61 percent; supporting a family, 60 percent; being financially independent, 47 percent; living independently of parents, 29 percent; being married, 19 percent; and having a child, 16 percent. The percentages in the survey had a margin of error of three percentage points.

Those younger than 30 were the least likely to rank being married or having children as important criteria for being an adult.

Grant Lammersen, a 27-year-old San Franciscan, said it's true that his generation feels less pressure to get married and have kids -- perhaps, he said, because so many of their parents are divorced.

Martha Irvine, Associated Press - Published May 16, 2003 GROVAR
Old 05-17-2003, 01:15 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:59 PM
umm.. i think a similar thread's been posted a few weeks ago.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:22 AM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
umm.. i think a similar thread's been posted a few weeks ago.
You're right.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:54 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Didn't see it when it was posted before.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:40 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley

same here,, when the birthday capt cowbell?

I'm also 25 and supposed to turn 26 in December, it's cool not to be grown up for at least a few months more
Old 05-27-2003, 09:28 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Im all growns up now, although 26 dosent come until Nov. .....a wife and kids will speed along that process....
Old 05-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Normal

So I am in between 21.2 and 22.3?

Good to know. Married. Having a child. Sure. Tsah.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
you know i am really enjoying my 20's right now. a nice weekend of being with friends has made me enjoy this life again.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:01 PM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by vivaSA

I'm also 25 and supposed to turn 26 in December, it's cool not to be grown up for at least a few months more
a few months? breathe...i have longer, yeah? sorry, i also turn 26 in dec and hadn't even thought about that yet...i'm still not used to the fact that i'm actually 25. just a minor panic attack there...ok.