MERGED -->World Trade Center Trailer (Oliver Stones 9/11 film) + World Trade Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, wow...
At first I was disgusted hearing Nicolas Cage was playing a hero in this movie; but I don't know what to think now.
The ending to that trailer was very moving.

that was one of the best trailers i have ever seen in my entire life.

i'm still not going to see the movie.

i'm not ready for the dramatization of 9-11.

I don't like this at all.
The trailer makes me very angry - I'm not entirely sure why, but there it is.

I agree with Irvine. I'm not ready for a 'dramatization' of any sorts of 9/11.

^ i'm not debating anyone's right to make the movie; the studios can do whatever they please.

i'm just not going to spend my $10 on it.

beau2ifulday said:
I don't like this at all.
The trailer makes me very angry - I'm not entirely sure why, but there it is.

I agree with Irvine. I'm not ready for a 'dramatization' of any sorts of 9/11.

the families of the victims of flight 93 OKd United 93, and the two port authority police officers that World Trade Center is about were involved in the process of making the movie...

:shrug:

i'm obviously not entirely comfortable with the subject matter, but frankly, if the people who lived through the actual event, or relatives of those who passed, are OK with it, who am i to say it's wrong? thankfully no one in my family passed on that day... but i know plenty of people who did. friends of mine had relatives... fathers, brothers, cousins.. who died on that day. most of them are ok with it as well... not all fo them, but most of them.

i've read books on 9/11... i had no problem spending money on Bruce Springsteen's album/tour which contained many songs with a 9/11 theme... :shrug: i dunno... as long as it's done in a respectful manner, then i'm ok with it.

after all... when is it ok? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years? there is no real answer

Last edited:
I know I won't be sitting through this at a movie theater.
I have to wait to watch something like this in the privacy of my own home. I know I will be an emotional wreck watching it. The trailer had me crying.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the families of the victims of flight 93 OKd United 93, and the two port authority police officers that World Trade Center is about were involved in the process of making the movie...

:shrug:

i'm obviously not entirely comfortable with the subject matter, but frankly, if the people who lived through the actual event, or relatives of those who passed, are OK with it, who am i to say it's wrong? thankfully no one in my family passed on that day... but i know plenty of people who did. friends of mine had relatives... fathers, brothers, cousins.. who died on that day. most of them are ok with it as well... not all fo them, but most of them.

i've read books on 9/11... i had no problem spending money on Bruce Springsteen's album/tour which contained many songs with a 9/11 theme... :shrug: i dunno... as long as it's done in a respectful manner, then i'm ok with it.

after all... when is it ok? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years? there is no real answer

It's really not the idea of making a film out of 9/11 that is the main thing unsettling me. I know I said that I'm not ready for a dramatization (which obviously doesn't matter at all), and I stand by that, but I don't begrudge anyone else the idea of going ahead and doing it (as long as it's respectful, as you mentioned).

I watched that trailer an hour or so ago, and I've watched it again. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what it is about it that I'm uncomfortable with, and the direct idea of putting elements of 9/11 on film has very little to do with it - but my feelings on this are irrelevent, really.

Last edited:
mdw3935 said:
I know I won't be sitting through this at a movie theater.
I have to wait to watch something like this in the privacy of my own home. I know I will be an emotional wreck watching it. The trailer had me crying.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what it'll be like to see it in a theatre. I imagine so many people will be emotional.

If I want to see 9/11 footage, I'll watch the CBS feed tape at work.

The thing that kills me about these kinds of films is that it smacks of opportunism to me. I'm not entirely sure what these kinds of films hope to prove. It's not like we're a generation or two removed from this event, where there would be a good percentage of the population that would have no memory of this event. The fact is that pretty much everyone alive today, unless they've been living in a box, knows all that they'd want to know about this day, and a film like this isn't going to really do more than pull classic Hollywood emotion pulling to force audiences to cry.

I've thought about an apt historical comparison to 9/11 ever since the day it actually occurred. And, more than ever, I'm reminded of, albeit on a much smaller scale, the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In terms of media portrayal of those two events since they've occurred, there haven't really been any overt films that replay these events. However, imagery from these events are generally hidden throughout a lot of Japanese art and animation, and, frankly, that's what I'd prefer to see with media portrayals of 9/11. No hokey movies required.

Melon

melon said:

The thing that kills me about these kinds of films is that it smacks of opportunism to me. I'm not entirely sure what these kinds of films hope to prove. It's not like we're a generation or two removed from this event, where there would be a good percentage of the population that would have no memory of this event. The fact is that pretty much everyone alive today, unless they've been living in a box, knows all that they'd want to know about this day, and a film like this isn't going to really do more than pull classic Hollywood emotion pulling to force audiences to cry.

Melon

Wow I could not think more opposite. Hollywood does these movies because it is what they do. I bought Time to keep so I would always remember-directors and actors make movies because it is their life and this is WHAT THEY DO!! I think this movie needs to be made and needs to be made now. Who cares if we are not a generation out? I sat in the theater with my mouth open a mess (just like I just was after watching this trailer) after the beginning of Saving Private Ryan and I was born in 1976.
THis story is not making up a classic Hollywood ending. It is a true story-one that actually happened-one of the actual bright spots in a terrible time.
No one is going to force you to sit through it but they have every right to make this movie.

ljclary said:
Wow I could not think more opposite. Hollywood does these movies because it is what they do. I bought Time to keep so I would always remember-directors and actors make movies because it is their life and this is WHAT THEY DO!! I think this movie needs to be made and needs to be made now. Who cares if we are not a generation out? I sat in the theater with my mouth open a mess (just like I just was after watching this trailer) after the beginning of Saving Private Ryan and I was born in 1976.
THis story is not making up a classic Hollywood ending. It is a true story-one that actually happened-one of the actual bright spots in a terrible time.
No one is going to force you to sit through it but they have every right to make this movie.

Of course they have every right to make this movie. I do not believe in censorship, and if Hollywood wanted to make a movie on 9/12, I would have supported their right to do so.

My criticisms are based on a matter of film criticism. I do not believe this film will really bring anything particularly necessary to the table, but that's me. If the audiences enjoy it, more power to them.

Melon

melon said:
If I want to see 9/11 footage, I'll watch the CBS feed tape at work.

That's just the thing, though. This IS opportunism and we NEED films like United 93 to be made right now.

We're too closely removed from September 11th for anyone to forget what happened. But, if these films are not made now, then when?

10 years removed?
20 years?
When will September 11th be trivialized into disaster cheesiness like how Titanic or Pearl Harbor are now seen, as Hollywood entertaiment?

All I know is that films about 9/11 will be made, and I'm glad that at least we're close enough to the event that they will hit home and be made with respect.

United 93 took me right back to that day, and for that it was worth seeing. :(

As far as trailers go, it's brilliant, but I can't imagine watching this at the movies. I feel sick just having seen that. :(

Well, you can't stop this kind of stuff. I don't like it because I'm a Democrat, and every time the public gets "reminded" of 9/11, Bush's approval rating rises. I have no idea why, but it does.

LyricalDrug said:
every time the public gets "reminded" of 9/11, Bush's approval rating rises. I have no idea why, but it does.
I think we're past that point - the ship has taken on too much water.

Canadiens1160 said:
That's just the thing, though. This IS opportunism and we NEED films like United 93 to be made right now.

We're too closely removed from September 11th for anyone to forget what happened. But, if these films are not made now, then when?

50 years from now would be preferred.

Melon

melon said:

I've thought about an apt historical comparison to 9/11 ever since the day it actually occurred. And, more than ever, I'm reminded of, albeit on a much smaller scale, the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In terms of media portrayal of those two events since they've occurred, there haven't really been any overt films that replay these events. However, imagery from these events are generally hidden throughout a lot of Japanese art and animation.
Melon

Yeah.. "hello kitty" stuff and movies like "akira" are products of the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings.

back on topic... we all knew that a movie about the 9/11 is going to be made sooner or later, even if we don't admit it. for some people this is the right time, for some others don't. but something that we can't deny is that any movie, or artistic expression, even the worst ones, ar like x-rays of our reality. If many people thinks that this movie is released too soon, that means something and obviously there's an intention behind that.

meegannie said:
I think that film looks really schmaltzy. :reject:

I agree. It is just an attempt to capitalize on what people felt that day. And the sad thing is, it will probably work.

ylimeU2 said:

I agree. It is just an attempt to capitalize on what people felt that day. And the sad thing is, it will probably work.
Did you see United 93? Go see that and tell me that's a cash grab.

ylimeU2 said:

Have you seen it?

Are holocaust films just cash grabs? Is Sunday Bloody Sunday just a cash grab? What about people who make art about personal tragedy such as death, divorce, etc are those cash grabs?

This film looks like Titanic and Pearl Harbour to me: over-the-top Hollywood cheese. Everything about that trailer (the music, the slow motion shots, the very existence of Nicholas Cage) just screams schmaltz to me. I just think that films based on historical events needn't be bathetic and condescending. Films like Hiroshima Mon Amour, Europa, Europa, Un Héros Très Discret :)love: ) and 11'09"01 portray historical events and their cultural/personal impacts without beating the viewer over the head and being overly glossy and bloated.

I've not seen Flight 93 as it hasn't been released here yet.

Oliver Stones 9/11 - at least he has a very limited scope for this picture, give him complete creative control and you would end up with "Loose Change: The Movie"

Because of what happened with the United 93 trailer, appaarently some theaters are now warning people when they are showing this trailer. I went to see DaVinci Code last night and they had posted that it was showing with that movie and at what times. It didn't show before mine.

meegannie said:
This film looks like Titanic and Pearl Harbour to me: over-the-top Hollywood cheese.

pearl harbor and titanic are fictional movies that use real disasters as their backdrop. world trade center is based on two real people. the two port authority officers, one of whom is played by nic cage, actually exist. there is no cheesey, made up love story here.

Back
Top Bottom