MERGED -->World Trade Center Trailer (Oliver Stones 9/11 film) + World Trade Center - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:06 PM
World Trade Center Trailer (Oliver Stones 9/11 film)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/wtc/large.html

I still remember that day. May the people that died in the planes and towers rest in peace.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:06 AM
wow...

Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 06:06 AM
Yeah, wow...
At first I was disgusted hearing Nicolas Cage was playing a hero in this movie; but I don't know what to think now.
The ending to that trailer was very moving.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

that was one of the best trailers i have ever seen in my entire life.

i'm still not going to see the movie.

i'm not ready for the dramatization of 9-11.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't like this at all.
The trailer makes me very angry - I'm not entirely sure why, but there it is.

I agree with Irvine. I'm not ready for a 'dramatization' of any sorts of 9/11.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Tough.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

^ i'm not debating anyone's right to make the movie; the studios can do whatever they please.

i'm just not going to spend my $10 on it.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

It made me cry
Old 05-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by beau2ifulday
I don't like this at all.
The trailer makes me very angry - I'm not entirely sure why, but there it is.

I agree with Irvine. I'm not ready for a 'dramatization' of any sorts of 9/11.
the families of the victims of flight 93 OKd United 93, and the two port authority police officers that World Trade Center is about were involved in the process of making the movie...

i'm obviously not entirely comfortable with the subject matter, but frankly, if the people who lived through the actual event, or relatives of those who passed, are OK with it, who am i to say it's wrong? thankfully no one in my family passed on that day... but i know plenty of people who did. friends of mine had relatives... fathers, brothers, cousins.. who died on that day. most of them are ok with it as well... not all fo them, but most of them.

i've read books on 9/11... i had no problem spending money on Bruce Springsteen's album/tour which contained many songs with a 9/11 theme... i dunno... as long as it's done in a respectful manner, then i'm ok with it.

after all... when is it ok? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years? there is no real answer
Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 02:06 AM
I know I won't be sitting through this at a movie theater.
I have to wait to watch something like this in the privacy of my own home. I know I will be an emotional wreck watching it. The trailer had me crying.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

the families of the victims of flight 93 OKd United 93, and the two port authority police officers that World Trade Center is about were involved in the process of making the movie...

i'm obviously not entirely comfortable with the subject matter, but frankly, if the people who lived through the actual event, or relatives of those who passed, are OK with it, who am i to say it's wrong? thankfully no one in my family passed on that day... but i know plenty of people who did. friends of mine had relatives... fathers, brothers, cousins.. who died on that day. most of them are ok with it as well... not all fo them, but most of them.

i've read books on 9/11... i had no problem spending money on Bruce Springsteen's album/tour which contained many songs with a 9/11 theme... i dunno... as long as it's done in a respectful manner, then i'm ok with it.

after all... when is it ok? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years? there is no real answer
It's really not the idea of making a film out of 9/11 that is the main thing unsettling me. I know I said that I'm not ready for a dramatization (which obviously doesn't matter at all), and I stand by that, but I don't begrudge anyone else the idea of going ahead and doing it (as long as it's respectful, as you mentioned).

I watched that trailer an hour or so ago, and I've watched it again. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what it is about it that I'm uncomfortable with, and the direct idea of putting elements of 9/11 on film has very little to do with it - but my feelings on this are irrelevent, really.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I think that film looks really schmaltzy.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mdw3935
I know I won't be sitting through this at a movie theater.
I have to wait to watch something like this in the privacy of my own home. I know I will be an emotional wreck watching it. The trailer had me crying.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what it'll be like to see it in a theatre. I imagine so many people will be emotional.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

If I want to see 9/11 footage, I'll watch the CBS feed tape at work.

The thing that kills me about these kinds of films is that it smacks of opportunism to me. I'm not entirely sure what these kinds of films hope to prove. It's not like we're a generation or two removed from this event, where there would be a good percentage of the population that would have no memory of this event. The fact is that pretty much everyone alive today, unless they've been living in a box, knows all that they'd want to know about this day, and a film like this isn't going to really do more than pull classic Hollywood emotion pulling to force audiences to cry.

I've thought about an apt historical comparison to 9/11 ever since the day it actually occurred. And, more than ever, I'm reminded of, albeit on a much smaller scale, the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In terms of media portrayal of those two events since they've occurred, there haven't really been any overt films that replay these events. However, imagery from these events are generally hidden throughout a lot of Japanese art and animation, and, frankly, that's what I'd prefer to see with media portrayals of 9/11. No hokey movies required.

Melon
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

The thing that kills me about these kinds of films is that it smacks of opportunism to me. I'm not entirely sure what these kinds of films hope to prove. It's not like we're a generation or two removed from this event, where there would be a good percentage of the population that would have no memory of this event. The fact is that pretty much everyone alive today, unless they've been living in a box, knows all that they'd want to know about this day, and a film like this isn't going to really do more than pull classic Hollywood emotion pulling to force audiences to cry.

Melon
Wow I could not think more opposite. Hollywood does these movies because it is what they do. I bought Time to keep so I would always remember-directors and actors make movies because it is their life and this is WHAT THEY DO!! I think this movie needs to be made and needs to be made now. Who cares if we are not a generation out? I sat in the theater with my mouth open a mess (just like I just was after watching this trailer) after the beginning of Saving Private Ryan and I was born in 1976.
THis story is not making up a classic Hollywood ending. It is a true story-one that actually happened-one of the actual bright spots in a terrible time.
No one is going to force you to sit through it but they have every right to make this movie.