MERGED -->World Trade Center Trailer (Oliver Stones 9/11 film) + World Trade Center - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Ok, that made me tear up.

I won't be seeing this one, either. But if others want to, hey, that's fine, too.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

pearl harbor and titanic are fictional movies that use real disasters as their backdrop. world trade center is based on two real people. the two port authority officers, one of whom is played by nic cage, actually exist. there is no cheesey, made up love story here.
I realise that it's based on real events and people, but that doesn't change the fact that the swelling music and slow motion shots in the trailer make it look like the typical mawkish Hollywood "based on a true story" film. I thought the same of the trailer for Flight 93. I just don't understand the purpose of this type of film.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I saw the trailer at the theatre today, there was dead silence after this. The person next to me turned to her b/f or husband and said "who the hell would want to watch that?"
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

It's coming out in a few weeks

(AP)

NYC Rescuers to See 9/11 Movie First

Mon Jul 17

Police and firefighters who risked their lives at the World Trade Center site will attend private screenings of Oliver Stone's new Sept. 11 movie, but one police union warns the experience could be too traumatic for the rescuers.

Stone's movie, called "World Trade Center," stars Nicolas Cage as one of two Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officers who survived the towers' collapse and were rescued from the trade center's rubble after 22 hours. It opens nationwide August 9.

Police and firefighters have been invited to free, private screenings at area multiplexes this week, the New York Post reported Sunday.

"Emotionally, it's important that these men and women have the opportunity to see the film first, though only if they feel comfortable," said Michael Shamberg, the film's co-producer.

But the union representing Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officers wants ground zero rescue workers to be aware that watching the movie could cause post-traumatic stress disorder. Symptoms of the condition include depression, mood swings and panic attacks.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:28 PM
I hope it's a lot better than the trailer.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:28 PM
The trailer is horrible.
So I agree with Earnie.

Stone hasn't made a great movie in 15 years.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:43 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Films like Hiroshima Mon Amour,
One of my FAVORITE films of all time. Hiroshima, Mon Amour is brilliant.

My $ .02: My problem is not with a 9/11 movie (because I saw "United 93" and was completely awestruck), my problem is not with a movie about the two port authority officers . . .

my problem is with Oliver Stone. He is so over the top and full of himself as a director, and I completely agree with meegannie that this film looks like it will be completely histrionic, saccarine and over-sentimental . . . and it doesn't HAVE to be. The day itself was so heartbreaking that Stone doesn't HAVE to add cheesy, swelling music and slow-motion shots. If anything, making an overly melodramatic film about this subject, to me, is disrespectful in and of itself.

I think, if a movie has to be made about this day, then "United 93" was the way to do it. No cheesy film score, no scenery chewing big name stars, no slow-motion/montage crap . . . just straight-ahead filming and acting. Let the events speak for themselves. I have nothing but applause and kudos for Paul Greengrass for getting out of the way of the film, putting his ego away, and just letting "United 93" speak for itself.

There's no way Oliver Stone will be able to do the same, and that to me is a horrible shame.

REPORTER: So Ms. Kael, what is the one thing you will enjoy most about retirement?

PAULINE KAEL: That I will never again have to watch another Oliver Stone film!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Time review

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...220426,00.html

"Despite the obvious expense of this production, it is an austere film, which has a little trouble, at its conclusion, trying to make some large generalizations about its meaning. It needn't have bothered. Its simple message is implicit in its actions — and its helpless inactions."
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #39
War Child

Local Time: 09:28 PM
"World Trade Center" movie

dont know if this has been discussed here yet but, its been released in the USA today, and the trailer itself has disturbing footage on it!

you can see it here: -

Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
The trailer is horrible.
So I agree with Earnie.

Stone hasn't made a great movie in 15 years.
UTurn
Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #41
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy
Yeah.. "hello kitty" stuff and movies like "akira" are products of the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings.
Hello Kitty, seriously? I was raised on Hello Kitty, and had no idea. I can't look at it the same now.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:28 PM
When I first heard of this movie coming out I felt like some other's that it wasn't right. Im actually playing around with the thought now of going and seeing it. If I should decide to go than I know it will be an extremely hard movie to watch. Was almost in tears with just watching the trailer
Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Hahaha

I just spied a billboard for Zoolander in the preview.

Nice touch, Mr. Stone.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Zoolander
Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

okay, so i was googling some pics of Michael Pena, because i found him attractive in "Crash," and this image struck me:

much like "Saving Private Ryan" gave a color pallet to all things WW2 -- washed out olives, grey, brown, etc. -- it looks like this film is going to give us an instantly identifiable visual language through which to associate 9-11. from now on, 9-11 is going to be visually represtented through the color blue, the Blue of the NYPD and the crystal clear blue and vivid colord rendered so brililant by the spectacular sunshine of that particular morning, combined with the ultra-urban backdrop of Manhattan.

and it's weird, because, eventually, we're going to hear things like "that's so 9-11" or "reminiscent of 9-11" or "evocative of 9-11" -- essentially, this particular historical moment is in the process of literally being visually processed by the public at large, which is something that movies now do. can we think of the Holocaust in anything other than the black and white of "Schindler's List"? can we think of Vietnam in visual terms beyond the psychadelia and humid greens of "Apocalypse Now"?

i suppose i'm just saying that it's interesting, for someone under 30, to watch a recently-lived-in historical event become part of the collective memory in artistic/cinematic terms. we've moved away from the news/journalistic understanding of the event and towards a more emotional/artistic understanding of the event. i don't think that's bad -- in 1950, would the line "Earn this!" (spoken by Cpt. Millar to Pvt. Ryan) have meant anything to the audience at the time? arguably not, or at least not in the same way an audience 50 years later might now understand it.

so ... just rambling ... i initially thought i wouldn't see it, and i haven't seen "United 93" because i think that would freak me out too much if for no other reason than i still get tense each time i get on an airplane.

but this might be interesting.