MERGED -->World Trade Center Trailer (Oliver Stones 9/11 film) + World Trade Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

pearl harbor and titanic are fictional movies that use real disasters as their backdrop. world trade center is based on two real people. the two port authority officers, one of whom is played by nic cage, actually exist. there is no cheesey, made up love story here.

I realise that it's based on real events and people, but that doesn't change the fact that the swelling music and slow motion shots in the trailer make it look like the typical mawkish Hollywood "based on a true story" film. I thought the same of the trailer for Flight 93. I just don't understand the purpose of this type of film. :shrug:

I saw the trailer at the theatre today, there was dead silence after this. The person next to me turned to her b/f or husband and said "who the hell would want to watch that?"

It's coming out in a few weeks

(AP)

NYC Rescuers to See 9/11 Movie First

Mon Jul 17

Police and firefighters who risked their lives at the World Trade Center site will attend private screenings of Oliver Stone's new Sept. 11 movie, but one police union warns the experience could be too traumatic for the rescuers.

Stone's movie, called "World Trade Center," stars Nicolas Cage as one of two Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officers who survived the towers' collapse and were rescued from the trade center's rubble after 22 hours. It opens nationwide August 9.

Police and firefighters have been invited to free, private screenings at area multiplexes this week, the New York Post reported Sunday.

"Emotionally, it's important that these men and women have the opportunity to see the film first, though only if they feel comfortable," said Michael Shamberg, the film's co-producer.

But the union representing Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officers wants ground zero rescue workers to be aware that watching the movie could cause post-traumatic stress disorder. Symptoms of the condition include depression, mood swings and panic attacks.

meegannie said:
Films like Hiroshima Mon Amour,

One of my FAVORITE films of all time. Hiroshima, Mon Amour is brilliant.

My $ .02: My problem is not with a 9/11 movie (because I saw "United 93" and was completely awestruck), my problem is not with a movie about the two port authority officers . . .

my problem is with Oliver Stone. He is so over the top and full of himself as a director, and I completely agree with meegannie that this film looks like it will be completely histrionic, saccarine and over-sentimental . . . and it doesn't HAVE to be. The day itself was so heartbreaking that Stone doesn't HAVE to add cheesy, swelling music and slow-motion shots. If anything, making an overly melodramatic film about this subject, to me, is disrespectful in and of itself.

I think, if a movie has to be made about this day, then "United 93" was the way to do it. No cheesy film score, no scenery chewing big name stars, no slow-motion/montage crap . . . just straight-ahead filming and acting. Let the events speak for themselves. I have nothing but applause and kudos for Paul Greengrass for getting out of the way of the film, putting his ego away, and just letting "United 93" speak for itself.

There's no way Oliver Stone will be able to do the same, and that to me is a horrible shame.

REPORTER: So Ms. Kael, what is the one thing you will enjoy most about retirement?

PAULINE KAEL: That I will never again have to watch another Oliver Stone film!

Last edited:
"World Trade Center" movie

dont know if this has been discussed here yet but, its been released in the USA today, and the trailer itself has disturbing footage on it!

you can see it here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNi2yYKqByM

im going to see it when it comes out, cos i believe they have probably recreated the day acuuratly, they did with united 93, what does everyone else think about it?:

Muggsy said:
Yeah.. "hello kitty" stuff and movies like "akira" are products of the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings.

Hello Kitty, seriously? :sad: I was raised on Hello Kitty, and had no idea. I can't look at it the same now. :(

When I first heard of this movie coming out I felt like some other's that it wasn't right. Im actually playing around with the thought now of going and seeing it. If I should decide to go than I know it will be an extremely hard movie to watch. Was almost in tears with just watching the trailer :sad:

Hahaha

I just spied a billboard for Zoolander in the preview.

Nice touch, Mr. Stone.

okay, so i was googling some pics of Michael Pena, because i found him attractive in "Crash," and this image struck me:

0802_en_wr_world_trade_center.jpg

much like "Saving Private Ryan" gave a color pallet to all things WW2 -- washed out olives, grey, brown, etc. -- it looks like this film is going to give us an instantly identifiable visual language through which to associate 9-11. from now on, 9-11 is going to be visually represtented through the color blue, the Blue of the NYPD and the crystal clear blue and vivid colord rendered so brililant by the spectacular sunshine of that particular morning, combined with the ultra-urban backdrop of Manhattan.

and it's weird, because, eventually, we're going to hear things like "that's so 9-11" or "reminiscent of 9-11" or "evocative of 9-11" -- essentially, this particular historical moment is in the process of literally being visually processed by the public at large, which is something that movies now do. can we think of the Holocaust in anything other than the black and white of "Schindler's List"? can we think of Vietnam in visual terms beyond the psychadelia and humid greens of "Apocalypse Now"?

i suppose i'm just saying that it's interesting, for someone under 30, to watch a recently-lived-in historical event become part of the collective memory in artistic/cinematic terms. we've moved away from the news/journalistic understanding of the event and towards a more emotional/artistic understanding of the event. i don't think that's bad -- in 1950, would the line "Earn this!" (spoken by Cpt. Millar to Pvt. Ryan) have meant anything to the audience at the time? arguably not, or at least not in the same way an audience 50 years later might now understand it.

so ... just rambling ... i initially thought i wouldn't see it, and i haven't seen "United 93" because i think that would freak me out too much if for no other reason than i still get tense each time i get on an airplane.

but this might be interesting.

yeh, what i think now though, is film makers have found a way to accuratly capture the whole event of which ever event it was and place it in film, like:-
"Pearl Harbour", not done the best way but the events leading up to it were accuratly created minus the snogging and what not,
"We Were Soldiers"-accuratly creates the Vietnam war, how men were slaughtered etc from masterminded Vietnamese,
"united 93"-part 1 of 2 films to reshow what happened on 9/11, accuratly shows what happened on board that ill fated flight, the accurate recreation of those final moments from what facts they had, wasnt many but it showed us what really happened.
"World Trade Center"?, i havent seen this yet, im going to but im sure i will come out crying, but not dissappointed, sure hes used music a wee bit much, but overall, he has created a perfect recreation of all those brave men, specificaly the last 2 found, on that day,

its these events we should not forget, althought we wont forget them, being made into movies, allows us to never ever forget, as there will always be a "perfect record" of that event on 1 Disc

AaronMcKie said:
Yeah, wow...
At first I was disgusted hearing Nicolas Cage was playing a hero in this movie; but I don't know what to think now.
The ending to that trailer was very moving.

The more I see Nic Cage on the trailer & the commercials for this film, the more I get a bad feeling about how the story will be portrayed.

my god its distubrin, i cant imagine what it must of felt like to be American that day, i knwo what it was like at the time of the 7/7/05 bombings, cos my dad was in london kings cross that day so i can only imagine it felt like that only 50 times worse

BonosBaby12 said:
I remember watching the news live as they were reporting about the 1st plane hitting. Than I watched in absolute horror as the 2nd plane hit. It's something that sticks with you forever :sad:

Yes, it does. September 11 is my birthday. I remember being at school and my friends teasing me b/c if the German teacher finds out it's your b-day, then everyone sings to you auf Deutsch and it's quite embarrasing. So after morning break I was saying out loud that I hoped she'd get distracted by class and forget. We get to German and Frau says we're turning on the TV, there's something we need to see. We sat there, totally still, for 55 minutes and the only words spoken were the sincerest "oh.my.god" I've ever heard, whispered by the kid in front of me.

Later on, my mom bought me this really nice bracelet. Someone made one for every person who had died, each with the name engraved, in order to raise money for the families. Since Sept. 11 is my birthday, my mom thought it would be OK to get me one. It said "Charles Mendez, FDNY." I looked him up on the internet and found out he was a really great guy and his girlfriend said he was her hero and she couldn't imagine him dying any other way than saving people.

I was sorting through my VHS tapes this past weekend and found my Sept. 11 footage (I'm not a pack rat, but I tape important events and save newspaper articles). I'm trying to bring myself to watch a bit of it in order to re-gain perspective, if I ever decide to see this movie.

Last edited:
To the question of when it will be right to release a 9/11 movie, I would say once Osama Bin Laden is captured or killed. You need some kind of resolution of an event before you can portray it on the big screen. For example, the events of Pearl Harbor were not properly put into a movie until after the end of World War 2. The great Vietnam war films of fictionalization or didn't come until its conclusion. Until Osama Bin Laden is captured or killed, you can't a say happy ending came out of the tragedy. Until that happens, a 9/11 movie won't feel right.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I was sorting through my VHS tapes this past weekend and found my Sept. 11 footage (I'm not a pack rat, but I tape important events and save newspaper articles). I'm trying to bring myself to watch a bit of it in order to re-gain perspective, if I ever decide to see this movie.

do you think its possible to get hold of some copies of these tapes?

i record every last program about 9/11, i dont know why i have a strange fasination about the event, not in a sick way, but a way where i want to know everyones opinions, just anything about it, one thing i dont have is raw footage from that day, like a record of the news, the closest thing i have is:-
"CNN-What We Saw" DVD, limited edition, but i got nothing else like that, just firefighters stories, the movies made about it, and documentaries about the world trade center.

i would be grateful if i could get hold of it, cos i know American news footage would hold more emotion that what any UK news could show.

prideofzootv said:

do you think its possible to get hold of some copies of these tapes?

i record every last program about 9/11, i dont know why i have a strange fasination about the event, not in a sick way, but a way where i want to know everyones opinions, just anything about it, one thing i dont have is raw footage from that day, like a record of the news, the closest thing i have is:-
"CNN-What We Saw" DVD, limited edition, but i got nothing else like that, just firefighters stories, the movies made about it, and documentaries about the world trade center.

i would be grateful if i could get hold of it, cos i know American news footage would hold more emotion that what any UK news could show.

Sure, I may be able to copy it to DVD.

Some of it was very emotional. I always watched Peter Jennings and by the end of the day he was literally in tears (not sure if I have that on tape though, since I was taping continuously from about 2pm on and there was about 4 hours on the tape).

I also had a tape of the first and second declarations of war, but I don't know if I found that one.

BonosBaby12 said:
I remember watching the news live as they were reporting about the 1st plane hitting. Than I watched in absolute horror as the 2nd plane hit. It's something that sticks with you forever :sad:

Our son was 7 weeks old......so i was in bed. But hubby was trading warez on IRC while he was waiting for Lone Gunman to come on TV when he first saw it on the tube.......he actually thought it was the weeks before episode but then he saw reporters and he quickly realised that this was real,that it was not the show.....he then watched in absolute disbelief as the second plane hit. He ran up to me and woke me......we were the first in our family to know what was going on...... we rang my uncle in the states to see if he was fine...(of course he was as he lived on the other side of the country).....but he said he was trying to get hold of some people but the lines were jammed....so hubby and i spent half the night phoning people he asked for as the there was no problem...yet......calling the states from Australia!

I will be bringing my tissues to see this one (if i see it!), i just hope producers here are NOT thinking of making a movie about the Bali Bombings, it would be too soon as well!

the scenes out of the towers were more gut renching than the ones from inside the rubble

greatest movie you'll ever see? no... will you need a tissue? yes.

as for the ultimate issue of "is it too soon"... frankly, if these two guys who went through this hell on earth are ok with sharing their story through film, then who the hell am i, who was in the safety of a college dorm room at the time, to say it's not right.

Back
Top Bottom