MERGED ----> Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shit, in all this excitement, i forgot that i have a thread starting suspension.

my apologies.

U2Man said:
shit, in all this excitement, i forgot that i have a thread starting suspension.

my apologies.

Well, I for one forgive you because...

NEW WILCO RECORD!! :heart:

I'm supposed to see Jeff Tweedy this weekend but the weather looks bad, don't know if I'll make it, don't know if he'll make it for that matter.

Tweedy in six days for me.

This news is lovely, anyway. I just wish it was in March like I thought it was going to be. Oh well, I can wait. New Arcade Fire in March, new Bright Eyes in April, new Wilco in May.

Oddly enough, May 15 is the date of my last final exam before summer break. What a day.

Matt786 said:
It's actually called "Sky Blue Sky", Pitchfork screwed up the name.

good, because that doesnt sound half as country for some reason.

I made it to the Marfa show over the weekend. If I told you there were only about 150-200 people there in a room so intimate that several songs were performed without amplification, and that he took requests shouted out from the audience all night, and that he was standing like two feet in front of me, and that he was so hilarious my face hurt from laughing, you'd all be jealous so I won't tell you. :mac:

Suffice it to say, it was a fan's absolute dream show. He said it was his as well.

I woke up yesterday morning wondering if it had really happened.

:combust:

i cannot quite figure out whether "sky blue sky" reminds me more of r.e.m. or u2.

Setlist from 1/21 if anyone's interested:

1. new song (Be Patient With Me)
2. Remember The Mountain Bed
3. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
4. Black Eye
5. You Were Wrong
6. Blasting Fonda
7. The Ruling Class
8. One By One
9. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
10. Gun (without PA)
11. Via Chicago
12. Muzzle Of Bees
13. Radio King
14. How To Fight Loneliness
15. New Madrid

Encore 1:
16. Theologians
17. Jesus, Etc.
18. I'm The Man Who Loves You

Encore 2:
19. Dreamer In My Dreams (without PA)
20. Acuff-Rose (without PA)

Tweedy's bus pulled up to the auditorium next to the student center today, and in between classes I would walk by in hopes of getting to meet him. He's got shows there tonight and tomorrow. Unfortunately I only got tickets for tomorrow's show and I didn't get to meet him today.

Still, it was pretty cool seeing them take all the Wilco merch off the bus and watching the crew move in all of Tweedy's gear.

is jeff tweedy known by the general public in america, or is he still all indie?

U2Man said:
is jeff tweedy known by the general public in america, or is he still all indie?

There's a middle road there between "the general public" and "all indie." Jeff Tweedy is very well-known to alternative music fans. As a solo artist he sells out theatre venues across the country. But I feel the spirit in which Jeff Tweedy/Wilco operate is still indie regardless of how many records they sell or how popular they are.

if you ask any random high school or college kid, for instance, would she recognize his name?

U2Man said:
if you ask any random high school or college kid, for instance, would she recognize his name?

Well he just sold out two nights at UT-Austin. But that's Austin.

Random college student, maybe. High school, no.

joyfulgirl said:

Well he just sold out two nights at UT-Austin. But that's Austin.

Keep in mind our two shows aren't limited to just students (my Okkervil River show this Sunday and Explosions in the Sky show in March at the same venue are, though). So that's the entire capitol city's worth of Wilco/Tweedy fans fitting into two nights in a 1,200 seat venue.

I'd say the vast majority of my peers here at UT have no clue who Tweeds is.

SUPER EDIT: Let's hear it for craigslist! Now I'm going tonight too for less than face value!

:hyper:

SAD EDIT: Alright, I called her back after making sure I had the cash and she sold it to someone else already. So basically she screwed me. I might go down to the theatre and try to secure someone's extra ticket, but as of right now, I'm not going tonight after all.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:

I'd say the vast majority of my peers here at UT have no clue who Tweeds is.

Really? That surprises me. Do they know Wilco? Don't they get airplay on college radio? Sometimes I'm clueless about these things and I figured college students were more likely to know him than the rest of the city.

Sorry your ticket deal fell through. :( Second night will be better, though, I bet.

I walked down to the auditorium with a sign that said "I need one ticket" and was able to get one for 25 dollars! Then after the opening act, the original lady called me and said the other person fell through and I could just have her other ticket. So I got it from her and put it at will call for my friend who is coming with me tomorrow night. For 25 dollars tonight I got an even better seat than I have tomorrow.

God, it was amazing too. I love that man.

And about college radio, I wouldn't know. I don't even know our station's frequency.

Allow me to sum up tonight (night of the second show) in one picture:

tweedy5lf.jpg

Ignore how terrible I look.

U2Man said:
i cannot quite figure out whether "sky blue sky" reminds me more of r.e.m. or u2.

Ryan Adams has a song called "Blue Sky Blues", so that's all I think of.

Appreciate "Sky Blue Sky".

...The song.

This album as a whole contains Tweedy's finest song-writing, and the title track in particular just strikes a chord with me. It's seriously been helping me through the toughest spot in my life, along with the other songs of this album, and has been a sort of soundtrack to my life recently. It's simply beautiful:

Oh, the band marched on in formation
The brass was phasing tunes I couldn’t place
Windows open and raining in
Maroon, yellow, blue, gold and gray

The drunks were ricocheting
The old buildings downtown
Empty so long ago
Windows broken and dreaming
So happy to leave what was my home

With a sky blue sky
This rotten time
Wouldn’t seem so bad to me now
Oh, I didn’t die
I should be satisfied
I survived
That's good enough for now

With a sky blue sky
This rotten time
Wouldn’t seem so bad to me now
Oh, if I didn’t die
I should be satisfied
I survived
That's good enough for now

It's good, but I haven't quite cracked its shell yet (A Ghost Is Born reference! Hoo boy!). I'm looking forward to May 15th so I can rock it on my ghetto blaster (read: stereo in my truck) and see what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom