MERGED ----> Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I can't rip it onto my computer because I don't have a DVD-ROM drive. I tried putting it in anyway, and my CD drive just spit it out. Could somebody send me the rip? You can PM me or send it to my screen name @gmail.com

Thanks. [/B]

sent!

Thanks gump! I downloaded the zip files and got everything loaded into iTunes with no problems. :)

My copy of SBS finally came yesterday. I've only listened to it a few times, but my first reaction is holy Nels Cline, Batman. There isn't a single song on the album that doesn't really show off what he's brought to the band.

Either Way is my favorite track so far, but I think it has a lot to do with the mood I've been in lately. I don't love Shake It Off, but I think it gets better as it goes. I'm impressed with the studio versions of What Light, Walken, and Impossible Germany, all of which I heard live last summer. I'm still disappointed that they didn't include Let's Fight, but I don't think it matches the mood of the rest of the album, either.

Overall, I think I'm going to like this album more than A Ghost Is Born. I feel like it's more consistent. There are a few songs I love off of AGIB, but there are also a few I don't ever listen to, too. It's going to be a good chill out summer album. In fact, now that I've loaded it into iTunes, the CD will probably take up residence in my car.

I'm glad it worked, BonoIsMyMuse (I thought of abbreviating your screen name, but BIMM sounded strange!).

I feel exactly like you regarding SBS and Nels' work. It is even more striking in their latest concerts (have you heard the streams from London?). I can't wait to see them. 5 days to go!

I'm surprised people are so impressed with Nels on this record since I think his stuff here sounds a bit adult comtemporary lite jazzy. He is absolutely amazing, no question, but these songs don't give him much to work with, IMO.

Sadly, I've tried to be positive and optimistic but there's just no way SBS is going to get played much at my house. Too many truly outstanding records out there at the moment. I'll wait patiently for Wilco to get back on track (for lack of a better phrase) since I don't think SBS is a new direction for Wilco but rather something they just wanted to do right now.

I think if any one of these songs had been on any other record, I'd enjoy them very much. It's just that a whole record of slow/midtempo/Wilco lite songs isn't all that interesting to me but each individual song is quite nice--well, except for Walken which I really don't like. I really like Either Way and On & On & On.

I am glad I gave my regular copy to a friend and then got the ltd ed because the DVD really is great and I was happy to hear what JT said about why they made a record like this. It was reassuring to this fan.

Just a heads up: if you have the SBS cd, enter the "extra" folder and you'll be able to download a nice of version of "The Thanks I Get". I love how Wilco do nice things to fans!

So, I've just returned from Paris where I had my first Wilco concert experience two days ago. I only have one word left: wow. They destroyed even my most optimistic expectations. Their energy on stage is something unbelievable, especially Glenn. Nels is also an amazing character (he even got off the bus to talk to the few of us who were queueing before the doors opened).

I managed to have my best position ever in a concert, first row right in front of Jeff (the stage was so low I managed to grab the setlist glued to the floor in front of him!).

The setlist was as follows:

Wilco
2007-05-29
Le Bataclan
Paris, France

1. You Are My Face
2. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
3. Muzzle Of Bees
4. Handshake Drugs
5. A Shot In The Arm
6. At Least That's What You Said
7. Side With The Seeds
8. Either Way
9. War On War
10. Via Chicago
11. Jesus, Etc.
12. Walken
13. I'm The Man Who Loves You
14. Hummingbird
15. On And On And On

Encore 1:
16. Impossible Germany
17. Sky Blue Sky
18. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Encore 2:
19. Hate It Here
20. I'm Always In Love
21. The Late Greats

I was so happy to hear the first ever live rendition of Either Way, which sounded absolutely stunning. I was hoping to hear Sunken Treasure, but one can't have it all. Every single SBS song they played sounds great live. Walken and Hate it Here, which weren't among my favorites on the album, really rock live.

Anyway, I wanted to share my post-concert happiness with you guys. If you're seeing them soon, you're in for a treat. Seriously!

:wave:

I also bought Glenn's solo album in the merchandise store. It's really good, lots of interesting sounds. Let me know if you want it!

And here's a nice Tweedy picture for you:

DSC00103.jpg

gump said:

first row right in front of Jeff

I had that spot twice myself. I got a good look at Jeff's dental work, lol.

So, yay :applaud: Glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to see them this summer, assuming I'll get tickets somewhere. Rumor has it they might be playing Red Rocks. :combust:

And yes, Glen is amazing! They are all so fun to watch, every single one of them.

Regardless of how I might feel about a song on a record, they always sound fantastic live.

Wow, what an amazing setlist. There are a few songs missing I'd like to see them play, but I'm glad to see they're playing Either Way again, since they weren't for awhile.

I see them three weeks from Sunday :hyper:

Also, Nels Cline has some solo tracks up on his Myspace page, and they're all free downloads. He'll be posting a new song from his upcoming album every week for awhile I think.

SBS has been playing a lot at home and in the car, the more I listen the more I like. At first it seemed fairly middle-of-the-road, but its quiet confidence just pulls me in every time. It feels very comfortable with itself, if that makes sense.

Wilco needs to head west. (that above setlist is :drool: )

Heather over at I Am Fuel, You Are Friends has 12 rare Wilco tracks posted today, including a studio version of Let's Fight and a lot of B-sides. Some of it is technically official material, so I can't post a link, but it's an easy blog to find (and a great one to bookmark).

For those of you in need of a live Wilco fix, here's the show from last summer in Northampton, MA. Excellent sound and a great set list. It's one zip file.

http://www.send space.com/file/z1ee0o

gump said:

1. You Are My Face
2. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
3. Muzzle Of Bees
4. Handshake Drugs
5. A Shot In The Arm
6. At Least That's What You Said
7. Side With The Seeds
8. Either Way
9. War On War
10. Via Chicago
11. Jesus, Etc.
12. Walken
13. I'm The Man Who Loves You
14. Hummingbird
15. On And On And On

Encore 1:
16. Impossible Germany
17. Sky Blue Sky
18. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Encore 2:
19. Hate It Here
20. I'm Always In Love
21. The Late Greats

:combust: I'd hit that.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Heather over at I Am Fuel, You Are Friends has 12 rare Wilco tracks posted today, including a studio version of Let's Fight and a lot of B-sides. Some of it is technically official material, so I can't post a link, but it's an easy blog to find (and a great one to bookmark).

Thanks for the heads up. There were some nice rarities there. Nice new addition to my itunes! :)

Here's another treat for all my fellow Wilco nuts:

I just downloaded from OiNK the ripped audio from the SBS bonus dvd and took the liberty of putting it into a convenient .rar file. If you don't know how to unpack .rar files and want this, just go download WinRar. It's easy.

Anyway, here are the tunes: http://www.send space.com/file/7hubs6

In typical Wilco fashion, everything is even better live.

Good show last night, especially with Low opening.

I HATE Indianapolis show-goers though. I paid to hear a band, not the audience's idle chatter. So rude.

Finally picked up the Sky Blue Sky SE. Blasted the whole thing deafeningly loud in my car to and from work tonight.

Can't wait to watch the DVD tomorrow. :drool:

zoney! said:
Good show last night, especially with Low opening.

I HATE Indianapolis show-goers though. I paid to hear a band, not the audience's idle chatter. So rude.

you were at the show too? :D

yeah these bitches were talking in front of us the whole fucking time. We made it a point to pretty much yell and clap in their ears as often as possible. My friend eventually asked them to stop, which they didn't, but they did talk a lot less. Also the woman kept pointing at the stage as if she didn't understand what was going on...whaaaa??? a stage?? with people on it?? and music? WHAAA???

but yeah awesome show...Wilco are great live!! I Am Trying To Break Your Heart live made my life. and Impossible Germany and I'm The Man Who Loves You and Spiders (Kidsmoke) and oh I just loved it. I didn't know they would do two encores. Badass.

Apparently every Volkswagon commercial has a Sky Blue Sky song. Nothing wrong with that :up:

Back
Top Bottom