MERGED ---> Wilco Fans + Wilco- what happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I don't consider the stuff on Being There "country", especially compared to what's on AM. Yeah you have stuff like Far, Far, Away, but just because there's some slide guitar or pedal steel doesn't mean it's going to turn off people who dont like country. I just consider it Americana.

Forget the Flowers verges a little closer to that territory with all the pickin' sounds, but I'm sure that one song isn't going to ruin the album for anyone. Plus it's a great song.

This album is worth buying just for Red Eyed and Blue, Hotel Arizona, Sunken Treasure (my FAVORITE Wilco song ever), Kingpin, and The Lonely One.

But hey, you can always go on Amazon.com and sample all the tracks!

laz

I listened. Great selection of songs. I'd never heard the Steely Dan cover before. And I love those YHF bonus tracks. :up:

Also, my latest torrent download, the Oakland show from 11-14-04, is so fantastic I can't stop listening to it. I love Tweedy's audience banter. Actually I think I love everything about this band, in case you all hadn't figured that out yet.

joyfulgirl said:
Also, my latest torrent download, the Oakland show from 11-14-04, is so fantastic I can't stop listening to it. I love Tweedy's audience banter. Actually I think I love everything about this band, in case you all hadn't figured that out yet.

:up:

Have you downloaded the torrent from the Tweedy 3-5 solo show at the Vic? I downloaded it last night but haven't listened to it yet. This will be my weekend treat.

Just wanted to note the two Wilco cds I ordered arrived today ( Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born ). I so enjoyed the NPR stream I decided to give 'em a try. Anyway, the "more experimental" nature of these two discs must be working for me, 'cause so far they are right up my alley. :)

And I just realized these were my first major label purchases in well over a year. :ohmy: I must be losing my indie snobbishness.... :yikes:

...nah. It's still there, but everyone needs to check out the other side once in a while. :wink:

Last edited:
hey joyfulgirl, i got my cds in the mail!! thanks VERY much, they're great!

spiders...:drool:

is that jonny greenwood on the guitar??? wow.

indra said:
Just wanted to note the two Wilco cds I ordered arrived today ( Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born ). I so enjoyed the NPR stream I decided to give 'em a try. Anyway, the "more experimental" nature of these two discs must be working for me, 'cause so far they are right up my alley. :)

And I just realized these were my first major label purchases in well over a year. :ohmy: I must be losing my indie snobbishness.... :yikes:

...nah. It's still there, but everyone needs to check out the other side once in a while. :wink:

:applaud:
But keep in mind that YHF was (incredibly) rejected by a major label and so the band released it on the internet for free. Its overwhelming success with fans, who donated thousands of dollars to charity in return for the free download, got Nonesuch to pick it up. They then also released AGIB on the internet prior to its label release. So in fact, this makes them Indie Gods, even if they have two Grammies and a major label now. Indie is as much a spirit and a point of view as it is about record labels. :wink:

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
hey joyfulgirl, i got my cds in the mail!! thanks VERY much, they're great!

spiders...:drool:

is that jonny greenwood on the guitar??? wow.

I thought you'd like 'em. I'm addicted to these downloads now. :slant:

Nels Cline is a killer guitarist, a jazz guitarist actually. He is like one of the best things that ever happened to Wilco. "Spiders" is the song on AGIB that took me the longest to connect with but it just knocked me out live.

joyfulgirl said:

:applaud:
But keep in mind that YHF was (incredibly) rejected by a major label and so the band released it on the internet for free. Its overwhelming success with fans, who donated thousands of dollars to charity in return for the free download, got Nonesuch to pick it up. They then also released AGIB on the internet prior to its label release. So in fact, this makes them Indie Gods, even if they have two Grammies and a major label now. Indie is as much a spirit and a point of view as it is about record labels. :wink:

That's because major labels are far too used to having mostly dreck. Strong selling dreck, but dreck nonetheless. Props to Wilco for believing in themselves and their album enough to make it work on their terms. Here's hoping they continue to not be screwed by their label (and keep turning out terrific work).

I know this has probably already been discussed, but doesn't "I'm A Wheel" remind you a lot of The Replacements?

In other news, Wilco recently filmed and recorded four shows at The Vic Theatre, Chicago. Directed by filmmaker Sam Jones ("I Am Trying to Break Your Heart"). The DVD and CD will be released by Nonesuch Records later this year.

:drool:

I remember reading somewhere (I believe you posted it, Joyful) that I can still download/access some tracks with my copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Could someone give an explanation of how to do this?

u2popmofo said:
I remember reading somewhere (I believe you posted it, Joyful) that I can still download/access some tracks with my copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Could someone give an explanation of how to do this?

Ok, it took me awhile to remember how I did this but here you go. Insert your YHF CD into your CD-rom. A screen will open with a menu:

-you can watch the video for Heavy Metal Drummer (I recommend it!)

- you watch the trailor for the DVD I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

- or you can click on wilcoworld.net / website. Click on that and it will connect you to the Wilco ep with YHF b-sides and bonus tracks. You can download it, burn it and print out cover art.

:)

Back
Top Bottom