MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
What are you reading?

No, I don't mean "what are you reading right now?" followed by 50 replies saying, "the words on my computer screen lololol."

Srsly. What are you reading? Do you dig books? I'm going to send this post out into the ether of Interference and see how long it takes to disappear completely.

Prove me wrong, fellow bookworms! Tell me what you're reading!

I'm reading Piece By Piece by Tori Amos and Ann Powers, and unfortunately am finding myself skimming a lot. I realize Tori is who she is, and that's great, but I want a little more about Tori and a little less about mythology and The Magdalene.

Previously, I read Brothel: Mustang Ranch and Its Women by Alexa Albert, which is about the legalized prostitution industry in Nevada (primarily the Mustang Ranch). It was very good, and I zipped through it like nobody's business.

I'm reading the da vanci code against my better judgement. It doesn't appeal to me at all, and I don't enjoy reading books just because everyone else reads them. But I have been bullied into it by a few friends who are adamant its good. I liked the film, and I almost always like the book better. We'll see..I'm not convinced.

I'm a bookworm! Give me a book rather than the television anyday.

I didn't like The Da Vinci Code because I thought it was poorly written, but darned if I couldn't put that sucker down. It was like bad crack. :wink:

I'm glad I read it, though - I love pop culture and it's a big part of the pop culture world right now. Plus, I like to be able to be involved with or talk about what everyone else is talking about at the moment.

corianderstem said:
I didn't like The Da Vinci Code because I thought it was poorly written, but darned if I couldn't put that sucker down. It was like bad crack. :wink:

I'm glad I read it, though - I love pop culture and it's a big part of the pop culture world right now. Plus, I like to be able to be involved with or talk about what everyone else is talking about at the moment.

I'm having trouble getting into it..its taken me about a week to read two chapters. Which is really bad for me considering i usually read books in the space of two/three days.

Its good being able to talk about it with people. Although I must say most of what I talk about it is what I gleaned from the film. I hate it when people go and watch the film, and then get into the book. I'm guilty of it!

I agree with the 'bad crack' comment about the Da Vinci Code. The use of italics to depict internal monologue drives me nuts, but the action's non-stop.

Currently? I've got stuff on my library list and I usually read stuff concurrently, so:

'Beloved' by Toni Morrison, this is for school, I don't really like it.

'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova, another Dan Brown-esque Alternative Historical Thriller. It's unfortunately a lot more slowly paced but the content is fascinating.

A pair of novels by the Japanese author Banana Yoshimoto which I'll get started on soon.

Poems by Robert Lowell and Louis MacNeice, I try to read one or two a day.

Various books on sports; there's a fairly interesting account of football in Iraq by a fellow called Simon Freeman that I'm currently ploughing through.

The last book I read was 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' by Murakami Haruki which I thought was great.

Last edited:
I read Beloved years ago, but don't remember anything about it, so I'd like to read it again.

I heard similar things about The Historian, so am looking forward to reading it, but apprehensive about its slow pace.

Also have The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami Haruki on my shelves, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Augh ... so many books, so little time! :wink:

I spent my wait in the GA line in Buffalo reading a good chunk of Beloved for my first doctoral exam :wink: Please, whatever you do, don't see the movie version. The best part of Morrison's writing is her style, and that's completely lost in the movie (not to mention you have to put up with two hours of Oprah).

Yertle, I'm glad to hear you're reading Robert Lowell. He's one of my favorite poets. He can be really dense sometimes, but he's really worth the work. Someday I'd love to find the time to read his 2,000 page Collected Poems.

My students and I just finished Colson Whitehead's novel John Henry Days. Now we're starting Lisa Glatt's wonderful novel A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That. I highly recommend it--it's hilarious in parts, quite serious in others, and will really leave you thinking about what it means to be a woman in today's society. Think of it as intelligent chick lit. This is my third time reading it and my first time teaching it, so I'm interested to hear what my students think of it.

Also on my coffee table right now are The Inferno and Bono In Conversation.

Just finished A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut.

Loved it. Interesting, a super fast read (a few hours -- tops), and funny as hell.

Working on a book of Norse mythology (can't find the damned thing right now, so I can't tell you the name. Guess this means I need to straighten stuff up around here.... :angry:

Will probably re-read the Bhagavad Gita soon.

"Atlanta Review Istanbul and beyond...Turkish Poetry, Spring/Summer 2006"....{page 44}. Bought it the other day at the book store.

:|

BonoIsMyMuse said:
My students and I just finished Colson Whitehead's novel John Henry Days. Now we're starting Lisa Glatt's wonderful novel A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That. I highly recommend it--it's hilarious in parts, quite serious in others, and will really leave you thinking about what it means to be a woman in today's society. Think of it as intelligent chick lit. This is my third time reading it and my first time teaching it, so I'm interested to hear what my students think of it.

That sounds really good - adding it to my reading list now! :up:

I started The Historian a couple of weeks ago and just realised when reading this post that I haven't got back to it in days...something about the slow pace I think... :)

I will get back to it though.

Just picked up Punk Rock - an oral history by John Robb. One of those books you can read in between others as it is made up of short segments by those who were there, in chronological order. U2 even get a (tiny) mention - p 442.

Next on the list Van Morrison - No Surrender Johnny Rogan

Just a side-note I didn't like the book Da Vinci Code at all but I def. loved the movie :nod:

I'm currently reading The Green Mile, because I had promised myself I wouldn't watch the movie til I read the book, but I broke my promise and the guilt is overbearing, I'm not too far yet, but so far I like it as much as I do any other King book

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Today I'm reading a stack of not-so-great student papers and stories :crack:

Today I'm proof reading a stack of my own not-so-great papers.. :|

Im currently reading "It Happened To Nancy" which is actual diary entries of a teen age girl who was infected with AIDS. Remains one of my favorite books of all time.

Oh and I will happily admit that I am a diehard bookworm! :yes:

corianderstem said:
I've always wanted to be able to read multiple books at once, but alas, I cannot. :(

I can't do that.. I start mixing up plots and characters. I don't know how people do it!

I just finished reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven and it was pretty good. I got worked up all until the ending. It certainly built itself to end with something much better. It left me kind of stale.
Hopefully Tuesdays With Morrie will be a much better book whenever I get my hands on it.

Tomorrow I'm taking a trip to the library to see if I can fulfill GibsonGirl's wish of me reading a book from the DiscWorld series.

Besides that I have Love, Rosie waiting for me. My godmother send it to me. It's sort of thick, but most of it is in email format, so I can probably get through it quick.

Aaaaaaaaand I can read multiple books at a time. Do it all the time in college. :happy:

I guess they're making a film adaptation of Fast Food Nation, which I find a little baffling. But I'm curious to see how they pull a narrative story out of the book.

I've started 21 Dog Years: Doing Time At Amazon.com by Mike Daisey, about a self-defined slacker in Seattle who takes a customer service job with Amazon in its start-up years. It's fairly entertaining, but not great. A quick read, which is perfect for my lazy Sunday.

I've had a lot of people tell me that Dan Brown's Angels and Demons is much better than Da Vinci, but I'm just not interested in reading anything else by him.

The thing about Angels and Demons is that it is OSOOOOO far-fetched, but to the point, that it's extremely entertaining, and you seriously can't stop reading it

angels and demons>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>da vinci code

I read 'The Da Vinci Code' last summer and although you have to suspend your disbelief somewhat I found that I had to finish it and thought it was an entertaining read. However, I tried 'Angels and Demons' but I found the whole far fetched-ness of it instantly annoying for some reason and wasnt able to get past about the fourth chapter :(

I am currently not reading anything (unless you count research articles for university). However, I have 'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt waiting to read this summer.

I just don't like dan browns style of writing - it doesnt interest me at all, so I doubt I will bother with angels and demons. I hear its better than the da vinci code but I don't really like all these conspiracy theory type books. People take them way too seriously.

I looooooove DanBrown's books......fiction people,fiction..........(or is it,hmmmmm)
I have not seen the movie yet ( i was told it's not good!,and nothing frustrates me more than a movie stuffing up a good book)

I'm currently reading Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin, a great read:up:

Back
Top Bottom