MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:41 PM
A History of God by Karen Armstrong.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Finished Love, Rosie and I've moved on to Anderson Cooper's book Dispatches From The Edge. Very touching stuff. You really never know a guy. His war descriptions are pretty scary too, not that he's gruesome or anything, but they just make you feel unsafe by reading them.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
Just finished Catcher in the Rye for lit.
Now reading 1215: year of the magna carta, or some shit like that for world history
Stones from the river, my grandmother is trying to make me read it.

The only thing I'm reading that I want to be reading is the first harry potter book which I'm idiotically rereading b/c it helps me fall asleep at night.

I can't read scary books at night b/c they keep me up--like the ghost book I read earlier this summer.

But being the wimp I am, I would probably be scared by Harry Potter at night
Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Just finished Zlata's Diary for lit, read it in an hour and a half (and I was actually trying to keep track of all the names etc), such a quick read. I enjoyed it though, it was interesting.

Still working on 1215.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm reading Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner (for school)
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
and I've moved on to Anderson Cooper's book Dispatches From The Edge. Very touching stuff. You really never know a guy. His war descriptions are pretty scary too, not that he's gruesome or anything, but they just make you feel unsafe by reading them.
That book sounds like a great read. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He's got the funniest laugh ever. It's pretty geeky, but endearing at the same time.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

That book sounds like a great read. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He's got the funniest laugh ever. It's pretty geeky, but endearing at the same time.
It *is* a great read. You really never stop to think about ordinary (well, he's not so ordinary, but he's not really a celebrity either) people's lives and how complex they are. I deeply, deeply admire his persistence to getting his foot in the door into Broadcast Journalism.
Yes! He has the best laugh evar! I saw him on Conan O'Brien and he sold the book to me. I went to three different bookstores looking for it.
And they barely even talked about the book.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:41 PM
I can't wait to read the Anderson Cooper book. I was going to spring for hardcover (something I don't do very often), but decided to get it from the library instead. I'm on the wait list, with only 100 people in front of me! Yeesh.

I tried to read Julia Glass' Three Junes, which I'd heard was very good, but couldn't get into it and gave up about 80 pages in.

Now I'm reading Staring At the Sound, a Flaming Lips bio by Jim DeRogatis. Should be an entertaining read.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I can't wait to read the Anderson Cooper book. I was going to spring for hardcover (something I don't do very often), but decided to get it from the library instead. I'm on the wait list, with only 100 people in front of me! Yeesh.

Ok people, I think it's time for an Interference library loan system...no more lineups...just lots of international postage!

I definitely want to read the Cooper book. He's part of a new kind of journalism...I'll call it participatory journalism, for lack of a better term. For example, in the New Orleans flood story last year, Anderson actually got involved in the storylines and helped people move stuff out of their flooded homes in a few of the segments I saw. There was heavy editorialising on his part, but it actually had merit because the government was doing absolutely nothing to help the people.

At the moment, I'm reading The Executioner's Song , by Norman Mailer. It deals with the life of Gary Gilmore, and his eventual execution for murder...pretty gripping (he was the first criminal to be given the death penalty in the US when it was reinstated.) I actually had to read a book for university a few years ago by Gilmore's youngest brother, so it's interesting to see the crossover in subject material.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I got it at Barnes and Noble for like $13! I probably would have never paid $25 for it, but who knows, I'm really liking Anderson and I've never even watched his show.

ucks from rocks: To be honest any time I turn on the TV lately all I want to do is watch movies. But I did see the Katrina thing and my respect for him grew immensely. This is exactly the kind of news the U.S. needs!

Quote:
Ok people, I think it's time for an Interference library loan system...no more lineups...just lots of international postage!

But I'm already sending Cooper out to someone after this read.
We'll see.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #116
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
"Blindness" ( "Ensayo sobre la Ceguera") by Jose Saramago . What a fascinating story

Lore.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #117
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
I got it at Barnes and Noble for like $13!
OMGWTFBBQ!!! Is it on sale, or did you have a gift certificate or something? Do tell!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Today my kids wanted to go into B. Dalton (aka Barnes & Noble) and I got the hard cover U2 Show for $9.99 on the bargain table!!
For $9.99 its nice to add to a U2 collection.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

OMGWTFBBQ!!!

I'm still reading The Inferno, slowly. I keep putting it aside and coming back to it. Hell isn't a particularly happy place to be, and it's not good bedtime reading, but it's relevant to something I'm working on in my own writing, so I need to get through it.

I also got The U2 Show at a bargain table, at some big book sale. It's great, but I don't know if I would've paid full price for it.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

OMGWTFBBQ!!! Is it on sale, or did you have a gift certificate or something? Do tell!
It was just on sale! I don't know.

Haha, maybe they make books cheaper here to encourage more stupid people to read. And Miami is chock full of stupid. It's like a breeding ground.

Quote:
got the hard cover U2 Show for $9.99 on the bargain table!!
I looked for that book everywhere and they did not have it.
If I weren't embarassed easily I would have asked for it.