MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just finished "High Fidelity" again
such a fun read

and am reading "Everything is illuminated" which so far is just incredible

Just finished "The Kite Runner" and now I'm reading "Iran Awakening."

corianderstem said:
Archie comics! Man, I used to love those. I love that they still have the little ones at the cashier's lanes in supermarkets.

Haha, YES!! My dad used to read them, so I have about 2,000 of them :ohmy: and I still have a subscription, so we get the Double Digests every month :drool: :nerd: :drool:

I finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series a few days ago, and have now started on The Shining. Quite a few of his books have been confirmed as being tied-in to the Dark Tower series, but after spending the last several months working my way through those seven heavy books, I'm ready for rehab, I need something unrelated, and The Shining isn't DT related. ...And yet as I read, I feel as though I'm scanning the pages for DT tie-ins anyway. Maybe I should read something by a different author for a change :crazy:

I finished Slaugherhouse Five yesterday (VertigoGal and I are apparently the same person....), and am now reading Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I just read 'Freakonomics' by Levitt and Dubner. Interesting, thought-provoking, and well worth it I guess.
I've been wanting to read this one :hmm:

I just got back from a week-long road trip, and I read 4 of the 7 books I'd brought with me (you have to bring spares in case you don't like one of the ones you start reading! :wink: ).

The Ha Ha by Dave King. A brain-damaged (he can't speak and can read very little) Vietnam vet takes care of his friend's child while the friend is in rehab, and it has an unexpected impact on his life. Pretty good - great characters.

Breakfast With Tiffany: An Uncle's Memoir by Edwin James Wintle. Edwin, a single gay man in New York City, takes in his out-of-control 13-year-old niece after her mother can't handle her anymore. Couldn't put it down! Funny and touching.

The Bitch Posse by Martha O'Connor. Three women share a secret from their high school days, and the effect the secret has had on their lives. Really melodramatic and fairly silly, but I kept reading to see what the deal was. Disappointing.

Smashed by Koren Zailckas. A memoir of a young woman who spent her teenage and college years completely trashed. Good times! Very well-written, often funny and fairly horrifying.

Hmm current list, apart from all the usual sports/comics and stuff:

'The Anatomy School' by Bernard MacLaverty. Pretty charming so far, quite like it.
'The Chill' by Ross MacDonald. Not too far into it, but looks interesting.

In my possession at the moment:
'Death and the Penguin' by Andrei Kurkov
'Portuguese Irregular Verbs' by Alexander McCall Smith
'Arbella: England's Lost Queen' by Sarah Gristwold

Misery also by Stephen King. Believe this heatwave is causing me to gravitate towards my King collection this summer :wink:

Corianderstem the books you listed really do sound like interesting ones. Seriously going to look into them :)

I finished The Bronte Project by Jennifer Vandever, which started off very promising but didn't quite live up to it.

Now I'm reading How Evan Lost His Head and Other Secrets by Garth Stein. It's about a 31 year old Seattle musician who finds himself in temporary custody of the 14-year-old son he's never met. So far, it's very good, but I'm getting a big kick out of the Seattle setting, which helps a lot.

Interference, What Are You Reading?

Since, for some reason, we still don't have a book forum, I thought it was about time that we had one more of these threads.

I'm currently reading Lennon Revealed by Larry Kane. It's a John Lennon biography. Quite good. Explains the dark side of John too.

jkt.jpg

http://www.lennonrevealed.com/home.php

Also, I would like to know if anyone has read the new Stephen King book: Pulse.

...and The Plot Against America by Philip Roth.

:nerd:

This isn't what I'm reading right now (U2 by U2..yes, I'm predictable), but I loved this book:

Cover_lamb_christophermoore.jpg

It's hilarious. The author thought it odd that you never hear what happens to Jesus between age 10 and 33. So, that middle story is told by his debaucherous childhood best friend, Biff. When "Joshua" is told by an angel that he's not allowed to have sex, Biff volunteers to have sex until his eyes pop out so that he can tell Joshua all about it. They invent the martial art of "jew-do" and battle with the fact that Joshua likes bacon (i.e., non-Kosher), among other things.

Definitely a funny read. :yes:

I'm reading Bury the Chains: Prophets and Rebels in the Fight to Free an Empire's Slaves by Adam Hochschild.

Last edited:
There are some very good books listed here! U2 fans are also astute readers! I'd love to read the Lennon book, put that one on my list. I'm reading Patrick McCabe now, Emerald Gems of Ireland right now, #3 of 7 or 8 of his books. Interesting Irish author.

I am also enjoying U2 by U2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom