MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel so misled. In the memoir I'm reading, Oh the Glory of It All, the narrator doesn't end up with Danielle Steel as a stepmom. His stepmom's ex-husband marries Danielle Steel.

But at least the book is still entertaining!

Let's see...I finished Catcher in the Rye for a massive English project last month
still reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (amazing :drool: read it once before)
Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver (very interesting read)
Journals by Allen Ginsberg
just finished Da Vinci Code (my friends continued to ridicule me, then I read it and liked it)
almost done with Angels and Demons (like it more than Da Vinci Code, it's far-fetchedness...not a word...doesn't bother me because as someone else said, "it's fiction!")
On the Road by Jack Kerouac

I think that's it for right now...and yeah, I'm one of those people who can read several books at once and loves doing it...

U2girl said:
U2 At the end of the world.

That was a while ago; the last books I read were Harry Potter part 5 and 6 - tried to figure out who's side Snape is on and who will survive in the end, according to the prophecy.

Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman
Bono in Conversation
Never Seduce a Scoundrel by Sabrina Jeffries :wink:

Actually the more I think about it the more I think 'Historian' isn't going to be the next 'Da Vinci Code'.

Currently on the list:

'Goodbye Tsugumi' by Banana Yoshimoto
'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens and a biography of him by Jane Smylie, I think
Several books on cricket, baseball and football
'The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency' by Alexander McCall Smith :happy:

Just finished:
'Sandman Vol 3: Dream Country' by Neil Gaiman. I'm a latecomer to the Gaiman party - saw Mirrormask and loved it, and I have friends who worship at his altar regularly. Really awesome stuff - extremely original storylines that are both moving and humourous and some great characters too.

I gave up on a book tonight, which rarely happens.

I picked up something called The World According to Mimi Smartypants, thinking it was some nice, fluffy chick-litty thing (which I happen to quite enjoy now and again).

Not so much. The author apparently had a blog in the days before blogging was The Big Thing, and people said "oh you're so funny" and "you rock," and so she slapped her online diaries into book form.

It's mildly amusing, but there's no plot and she's not nearly as funny as she thinks she is.

The fact that the author is listed as "Mimi Smartypants" should have been my first clue. :tsk:

I read Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov and How I Became Stupid by Martin Page last week while on holiday. Now I'm reading The Constant Gardener by John Le Carré and The Advanced Internet Searcher's Handbook by Phil Bradley (preparation for the MSc programme I'm starting in September).

For all you book lovers out there who are always looking for more recommendations, I highly recommend Nancy Pearl's two 'Book Lust' books. She does get a bit into a strict list format here and there, but for other books and genres, she does a good job of explaining why she's recommending them.

I just got back from a business trip, and read a book on the plane ride. American Girls About Town, short chick-litty stories by various female American authors. Most of the stories were good, varying from fluffy, fun tales, to some with a more serious leaning.

^its summer so I am all about the chick lit:lol::up:

so far this summer I've read The Beans of Egypt Maine, The Nanny Diaries, Isabels Bed and now I'm reading The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood...I really like it so far:up:

Last edited:
maycocksean said:

I read it last summer and enjoyed it, though it was kind of sad. It just so happened that one of the new teachers at the school where I worked had been a nanny for 10 years. She'd also read the book and said it was very accurate. Which I found terribly sad.

yeah I agree with you, thats terrible stuff like that does happen:(

Dismantled, do you like Jennifer Weiner or Meg Cabot? If you like chick lit, check them out. Oh, and Marian Keyes!

Just finished Catcher in the Rye for lit.
Now reading 1215: year of the magna carta, or some shit like that for world history
Stones from the river, my grandmother is trying to make me read it.

The only thing I'm reading that I want to be reading is the first harry potter book which I'm idiotically rereading b/c it helps me fall asleep at night.

:p

Finished Love, Rosie and I've moved on to Anderson Cooper's book Dispatches From The Edge. Very touching stuff. You really never know a guy. His war descriptions are pretty scary too, not that he's gruesome or anything, but they just make you feel unsafe by reading them.
:up:

VertigoGal said:
Just finished Catcher in the Rye for lit.
Now reading 1215: year of the magna carta, or some shit like that for world history
Stones from the river, my grandmother is trying to make me read it.

The only thing I'm reading that I want to be reading is the first harry potter book which I'm idiotically rereading b/c it helps me fall asleep at night.

:p

:lmao: I can't read scary books at night b/c they keep me up--like the ghost book I read earlier this summer.

But being the wimp I am, I would probably be scared by Harry Potter at night :|

Just finished Zlata's Diary for lit, read it in an hour and a half (and I was actually trying to keep track of all the names etc), such a quick read. I enjoyed it though, it was interesting.

Still working on 1215.

:crack:

PlaTheGreat said:
and I've moved on to Anderson Cooper's book Dispatches From The Edge. Very touching stuff. You really never know a guy. His war descriptions are pretty scary too, not that he's gruesome or anything, but they just make you feel unsafe by reading them.
:up:

That book sounds like a great read. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He's got the funniest laugh ever. It's pretty geeky, but endearing at the same time.

angelordevil said:

That book sounds like a great read. Have you ever heard him interviewed? He's got the funniest laugh ever. It's pretty geeky, but endearing at the same time.

It *is* a great read. You really never stop to think about ordinary (well, he's not so ordinary, but he's not really a celebrity either) people's lives and how complex they are. I deeply, deeply admire his persistence to getting his foot in the door into Broadcast Journalism.
Yes! He has the best laugh evar! I saw him on Conan O'Brien and he sold the book to me. I went to three different bookstores looking for it. :up:
And they barely even talked about the book. :lol:

I can't wait to read the Anderson Cooper book. I was going to spring for hardcover (something I don't do very often), but decided to get it from the library instead. I'm on the wait list, with only 100 people in front of me! Yeesh.

I tried to read Julia Glass' Three Junes, which I'd heard was very good, but couldn't get into it and gave up about 80 pages in.

Now I'm reading Staring At the Sound, a Flaming Lips bio by Jim DeRogatis. Should be an entertaining read.

corianderstem said:
I can't wait to read the Anderson Cooper book. I was going to spring for hardcover (something I don't do very often), but decided to get it from the library instead. I'm on the wait list, with only 100 people in front of me! Yeesh.

Ok people, I think it's time for an Interference library loan system...no more lineups...just lots of international postage! :wink:

I definitely want to read the Cooper book. He's part of a new kind of journalism...I'll call it participatory journalism, for lack of a better term. For example, in the New Orleans flood story last year, Anderson actually got involved in the storylines and helped people move stuff out of their flooded homes in a few of the segments I saw. There was heavy editorialising on his part, but it actually had merit because the government was doing absolutely nothing to help the people.

At the moment, I'm reading The Executioner's Song , by Norman Mailer. It deals with the life of Gary Gilmore, and his eventual execution for murder...pretty gripping (he was the first criminal to be given the death penalty in the US when it was reinstated.) I actually had to read a book for university a few years ago by Gilmore's youngest brother, so it's interesting to see the crossover in subject material.

corianderstem said:

I got it at Barnes and Noble for like $13! I probably would have never paid $25 for it, but who knows, I'm really liking Anderson and I've never even watched his show. :sick:

:ducks from rocks: To be honest any time I turn on the TV lately all I want to do is watch movies. But I did see the Katrina thing and my respect for him grew immensely. This is exactly the kind of news the U.S. needs!

Ok people, I think it's time for an Interference library loan system...no more lineups...just lots of international postage!

:hmm:
But I'm already sending Cooper out to someone after this read. :shifty:
We'll see.

Today my kids wanted to go into B. Dalton (aka Barnes & Noble) and I got the hard cover U2 Show for $9.99 on the bargain table!!
For $9.99 its nice to add to a U2 collection.

corianderstem said:

OMGWTFBBQ!!!

:lmao:

I'm still reading The Inferno, slowly. I keep putting it aside and coming back to it. Hell isn't a particularly happy place to be, and it's not good bedtime reading, but it's relevant to something I'm working on in my own writing, so I need to get through it.

I also got The U2 Show at a bargain table, at some big book sale. It's great, but I don't know if I would've paid full price for it.

corianderstem said:

OMGWTFBBQ!!! Is it on sale, or did you have a gift certificate or something? Do tell!

It was just on sale! I don't know. :(

Haha, maybe they make books cheaper here to encourage more stupid people to read. And Miami is chock full of stupid. It's like a breeding ground.

got the hard cover U2 Show for $9.99 on the bargain table!!

:grumpy: I looked for that book everywhere and they did not have it. :grumpy:
If I weren't embarassed easily I would have asked for it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom