MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled
I'm reading The Nanny Diaries its freakin funny...great book!
I read it last summer and enjoyed it, though it was kind of sad. It just so happened that one of the new teachers at the school where I worked had been a nanny for 10 years. She'd also read the book and said it was very accurate. Which I found terribly sad.

I am a voracious reader. The best thing about summer is being able to read until your head hurts.

So. . . I've got a huge STACK of books to work through.

I just finished "Enough About Me: A Jersey Girl's Unlikely Adventures Among the Absurdly Famous" by Jancee Dunn. Dunn is a former reporter for Rolling Stone, a former MTV2 v-j etc. I found it to be an interesting and down to earth read and I finished it in about a day and a half. And Bono and Larry get a mention in there!

Right now I'm reading "Incendiary" by Chris Cleave. It's the story of this woman who writes this letter to Osama Bin Laden after her husband and son are killed in a fictional terrorist attack at a British soccer match. The main character is really vivid and compelling and I'm enjoying the book so far.

I'm also browsing through Richard J. Evan's "The Third Reich in Power." It's pretty hefty and I'm just skimming through it.

re: Beloved. I just never enjoyed that book at all. I've always had a hard time understanding how people love it so much. But to each their own. . .

Interesting thread. It will help me add some new titles to my summer reading!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Actually picked up 3 books yesterday at Barnes and Noble.

Got the Anderson Cooper book, another called "Does anything eat wasps?". It is one of those books that asks questions that may come in handy one day. Along the lines of my other book "Why does popcorn pop?" I love those books.

The third book is a true story about Jennifer Finney Boylan called "She's not there: A life in two genders".

So there's my reading list for the summer.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

I had the same reaction to The Nanny Diaries. After a while, I couldn't laugh. I wanted the main character to grow a spine and tell off the mother ... but then she'd end up hurting the child, so I know she couldn't do that. But still! Grow a spine! And yes, it was sad to think of someone "raising" a child that way.

Glad to hear the Jancee Dunn book get a good review - that one's definitely on my list, too!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

I'm doing some major rec reading. I just finished college so I'm totally burnt out on classic lit and super-intellectual stuff, so nothing heavy for a few months! I went to Barnes & Noble and bought about two dozen of the paperback murder mystery novels, like Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, Scott Turow - the kind of books you can read two a day if you had the time.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I'm doing some major rec reading. I just finished college so I'm totally burnt out on classic lit and super-intellectual stuff, so nothing heavy for a few months! I went to Barnes & Noble and bought about two dozen of the paperback murder mystery novels, like Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, Scott Turow - the kind of books you can read two a day if you had the time.
I love reading murder mystery novels they are always really interesting. Also love anything by John Grisham especially "A Time To Kill". Recommend that one very highly.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #51
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:18 PM
I've borrowed a U2 book from the libirary called "Unforgettable Fire, The Story of U2." by Eamon Dunphy. And I'm also gonna read the book I bought last week called "The U2 file".. iiieee
Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:18 PM

After a grueling graduate semester of reading (incl. the 700 pg "The Magic Mountain"; Joan Didion's "A Year of Magical Thinking"; "Moby Dick"; "The Scarlet Letter"; "Blithedale Romance"; Albert Camus' "The Plague"; some Elizabeth Berg novel, among others) I am glad to partake in some pleasure reading.

I just finished the first three of "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series. And also a book about the making of Sex & The City.

Right now I'm halfway through the eloquent "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara which I'd recommend to everyone, as well as "The Making Of Sex:Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud" by Thomas Laqueur, and "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language" which is a fascinating book about deafness on Martha's Vineyard. Next up on my summer reading list, "A Room of My Own" and some light-hearted reading with "The Man Who Loved Jane Austen."

Olive
Old 06-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Ireland and International Peacekeeping Operations 1960-2000 A Study of Irish Motivation by Katsumi Ishizukaz.

Well I am reading it for my foreign policy class, so I say it counts for what I am reading now.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #54
The Fly

Local Time: 05:18 PM
I just finished a happy little book: A Hummingbird in my House-the Story of Squeak (Arnette Heidcamp). A happy ending non-fiction story of a lady who discovers a hummingbird in her Upstate NY garden as autumn chill is setting in, and devotes a room in her house to a winter safe place, learns all about his habits, nutritional requirements, grooming, preening, sexual display, etc. The relationship she forms with this tiniest, brightest of birds was rewarding for her, inspiring for me, and just so endearing to read.

NOW-it's back to the book I love to read but can never seem to finish. Very interesting, but always read it at night, in bed, and only last a few pages: Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea, by Gary Kinder, about the loss during a hurricane of the Central America off the coast of North Carolina in 1857.

I do prefer non-fiction works, but I have read the daVinci Code-literally a page turner because of the type set-everything happens in the bottom line, and so you have to turn.

I enjoyed the book more than the movie, somehow, even though I thought the movie was well done. But it seemed to lack the urgency and momentum of the book.

Other fiction book I've read "recently" (within the past...little while) is Life of Pi, author Yann Martel. I thought it was wonderful.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

Right now I'm halfway through the eloquent "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara which I'd recommend to everyone
Olive

Hi Carrie! I actually just saw the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries". It was good too!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
After a grueling graduate semester of reading (incl. the 700 pg "The Magic Mountain"; Joan Didion's "A Year of Magical Thinking"; "Moby Dick"; "The Scarlet Letter"; "Blithedale Romance"; Albert Camus' "The Plague"; some Elizabeth Berg novel, among others) I am glad to partake in some pleasure reading.
Wow, even for grad school that's a semester. I knocked off Don DeLillo's 800+ page Underworld last fall for my first prelim exam (along with maybe 20 other books), and I didn't want to come anywhere near a book for awhile!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

What did you think of Underworld? I have it on my shelf, and keep looking at it, wondering if I'll ever get around to reading it.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #58
The Fly

Local Time: 09:18 PM
The plot against America (Philipp Roth) : great book, can't stop reading it ! Well writen...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I love ths thread.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Books don't get enough love around here. Music has a forum. TV shows and movies have a forum. Sports have a forum.

Fellow , unite!