MERGED --> What are you reading? + Eragon + Interference, What Are You Reading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tilli said:

I am currently not reading anything (unless you count research articles for university). However, I have 'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt waiting to read this summer.

Loved that book :love:

I'm in the middle of Prozac Nation right now, and it's really.......um........depressing. :happy: I can't stop reading books once I start them, but this book is a huge downer, to state the obvious :(

Once I finish that, I'm reading The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve and Waiting for Snow in Havana byyyyy.....I can't remember the author :reject:

ps.....Also reading a book of Norse mythology for a class next year :wink:

vivalapopedge said:

I'm in the middle of Prozac Nation right now, and it's really.......um........depressing. :happy: I can't stop reading books once I start them, but this book is a huge downer, to state the obvious :(

Prozac Nation might be one of the worst books I've ever read. There's no denying that Elizabeth Wurtzel was certainly depressed, but what's more influential on the book is the fact that she's also whiny and attention-hungry. A lot of readers might blame those traits on the fact that she's depressed, but I have a feeling she's that way all the time, that she's one of those people who will never be happy and never hesitates to make sure everyone knows.

I taught the book in a class called Literature and Madness, and many of my students disliked the book as much as I did. I just don't feel like it's an accurate portrayal of depression. There's a false sense of redemption at the end, I think. Keep in mind that the opening section of the book ("I Hate Myself and Want to Die" :happy: ) comes several years after the main action of the book. What does that say about the end?

It's interesting to note that Wurtzel couldn't cope with the massive success of Prozac Nation and became a drug addict. Then she wrote a memoir about that experience called More, Now, Again. She's one of those writers who has a gimmick, I think, and unfortunately, a lot of people are eating up everything she writes without realizing that.

yertle-the-turtle said:
'Beloved' by Toni Morrison, this is for school, I don't really like it.

I am also reading "Beloved" for an over-the-summer school assignment. We had to choose one book from a list our teacher had, and from that, I took "The Bonesetter's Daughter" by Amy Tan. Then, we had to choose an author from that list, and read one of his or her books that was not on the list. I chose "Beloved" because one of my good friends says it's his favorite book. He adores it, and I already owned a copy of it and had never read it, so I decided it was a good chance to do so.

So far, "Beloved" is different, but it's not entirely horrible. I think it will be hard to write a critical review on it, because it seems so unique in subject matter and the writing style. I am more than halfway done, and I hope it comes together at the end.

bono_212 said:
Just a side-note I didn't like the book Da Vinci Code at all but I def. loved the movie :nod:

I'm currently reading The Green Mile, because I had promised myself I wouldn't watch the movie til I read the book, but I broke my promise and the guilt is overbearing, I'm not too far yet, but so far I like it as much as I do any other King book

I read the Green Mile a few years ago...I can't remember if it was before or after I had seen the movie, but I really enjoyed the book. I am not much for King's books, but The Green Mile was excellent, I thought. I read it in six mini volumes. I guess there is an edition with them all compiled into one book?

I'm reading Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett for the millionth time.

Terry Pratchett is God. :bow:

Currently reading:

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie
A People's Tragedy: A History of the Russian Revolution by Orlando Figes

Great to see there's a lot of other book lovers out there! :up:

Right now I'm reading a book called "Wall Flower", it's pretty good :) ^^ The person who has written it is Stephen Chbosky. After that I'm gonna read some more books, but it's most swedish books :p I'm going to Italy next week and then I'm gonna read alot of books and magazines! :D

Dismantled said:
I'm reading The Nanny Diaries its freakin funny...great book!

I read it last summer and enjoyed it, though it was kind of sad. It just so happened that one of the new teachers at the school where I worked had been a nanny for 10 years. She'd also read the book and said it was very accurate. Which I found terribly sad.

I am a voracious reader. The best thing about summer is being able to read until your head hurts.

So. . . I've got a huge STACK of books to work through.

I just finished "Enough About Me: A Jersey Girl's Unlikely Adventures Among the Absurdly Famous" by Jancee Dunn. Dunn is a former reporter for Rolling Stone, a former MTV2 v-j etc. I found it to be an interesting and down to earth read and I finished it in about a day and a half. And Bono and Larry get a mention in there!

Right now I'm reading "Incendiary" by Chris Cleave. It's the story of this woman who writes this letter to Osama Bin Laden after her husband and son are killed in a fictional terrorist attack at a British soccer match. The main character is really vivid and compelling and I'm enjoying the book so far.

I'm also browsing through Richard J. Evan's "The Third Reich in Power." It's pretty hefty and I'm just skimming through it.

re: Beloved. I just never enjoyed that book at all. I've always had a hard time understanding how people love it so much. But to each their own. . .

Interesting thread. It will help me add some new titles to my summer reading!

Actually picked up 3 books yesterday at Barnes and Noble.

Got the Anderson Cooper book, another called "Does anything eat wasps?". It is one of those books that asks questions that may come in handy one day. Along the lines of my other book "Why does popcorn pop?" I love those books.

The third book is a true story about Jennifer Finney Boylan called "She's not there: A life in two genders".

So there's my reading list for the summer. :hyper:

I had the same reaction to The Nanny Diaries. After a while, I couldn't laugh. I wanted the main character to grow a spine and tell off the mother ... but then she'd end up hurting the child, so I know she couldn't do that. But still! Grow a spine! And yes, it was sad to think of someone "raising" a child that way.

Glad to hear the Jancee Dunn book get a good review - that one's definitely on my list, too!

I'm doing some major rec reading. I just finished college so I'm totally burnt out on classic lit and super-intellectual stuff, so nothing heavy for a few months! I went to Barnes & Noble and bought about two dozen of the paperback murder mystery novels, like Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, Scott Turow - the kind of books you can read two a day if you had the time.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm doing some major rec reading. I just finished college so I'm totally burnt out on classic lit and super-intellectual stuff, so nothing heavy for a few months! I went to Barnes & Noble and bought about two dozen of the paperback murder mystery novels, like Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, Scott Turow - the kind of books you can read two a day if you had the time.

I love reading murder mystery novels they are always really interesting. Also love anything by John Grisham especially "A Time To Kill". Recommend that one very highly.

I've borrowed a U2 book from the libirary called "Unforgettable Fire, The Story of U2." by Eamon Dunphy. And I'm also gonna read the book I bought last week called "The U2 file".. iiieee

After a grueling graduate semester of reading (incl. the 700 pg "The Magic Mountain"; Joan Didion's "A Year of Magical Thinking"; "Moby Dick"; "The Scarlet Letter"; "Blithedale Romance"; Albert Camus' "The Plague"; some Elizabeth Berg novel, among others) I am glad to partake in some pleasure reading.

I just finished the first three of "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series. :up: And also a book about the making of Sex & The City.

Right now I'm halfway through the eloquent "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara which I'd recommend to everyone, as well as "The Making Of Sex:Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud" by Thomas Laqueur, and "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language" which is a fascinating book about deafness on Martha's Vineyard. Next up on my summer reading list, "A Room of My Own" and some light-hearted reading with "The Man Who Loved Jane Austen."

:) Olive

I just finished a happy little book: A Hummingbird in my House-the Story of Squeak (Arnette Heidcamp). A happy ending non-fiction story of a lady who discovers a hummingbird in her Upstate NY garden as autumn chill is setting in, and devotes a room in her house to a winter safe place, learns all about his habits, nutritional requirements, grooming, preening, sexual display, etc. The relationship she forms with this tiniest, brightest of birds was rewarding for her, inspiring for me, and just so endearing to read.

NOW-it's back to the book I love to read but can never seem to finish. Very interesting, but always read it at night, in bed, and only last a few pages: Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea, by Gary Kinder, about the loss during a hurricane of the Central America off the coast of North Carolina in 1857.

I do prefer non-fiction works, but I have read the daVinci Code-literally a page turner because of the type set-everything happens in the bottom line, and so you have to turn.

I enjoyed the book more than the movie, somehow, even though I thought the movie was well done. But it seemed to lack the urgency and momentum of the book.

Other fiction book I've read "recently" (within the past...little while) is Life of Pi, author Yann Martel. I thought it was wonderful.

oliveu2cm said:
After a grueling graduate semester of reading (incl. the 700 pg "The Magic Mountain"; Joan Didion's "A Year of Magical Thinking"; "Moby Dick"; "The Scarlet Letter"; "Blithedale Romance"; Albert Camus' "The Plague"; some Elizabeth Berg novel, among others) I am glad to partake in some pleasure reading.

Wow, even for grad school that's a :crack: semester. I knocked off Don DeLillo's 800+ page Underworld last fall for my first prelim exam (along with maybe 20 other books), and I didn't want to come anywhere near a book for awhile!

What did you think of Underworld? I have it on my shelf, and keep looking at it, wondering if I'll ever get around to reading it.

The plot against America (Philipp Roth) : great book, can't stop reading it ! Well writen...

Books don't get enough love around here. Music has a forum. TV shows and movies have a forum. Sports have a forum.

Fellow :nerd: , unite!

Back
Top Bottom