MERGED--> Vancouver A Step Closer To Winter Olympics 2010 Bid + Vancity 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm actually not in Vancouver right now, but from what I hear, it's basically one big party over there at the moment. Cars honking horns, people having a great time. Some people actually went to work!

Sweet :up:

That vote almost makes up for Kurri's pathetic return to Edmonton, where he dawned an Oilers uniform to score one last time. Oh how brutal it was.

Nostalgic Pre-Game Ceremonies :down:

I was pretty excited when I saw the headline this morning.

Congratulations to Vancouver. I look forward to seeing the city soon (very soon...?).

I was just think, (and I know this is hard for Cujo to believe)...I see a lot of civic/national pride with Vancouver wining this bid. I would bet that if New York or (insert any city name here), there would not be horrible amoutns of National pride in the USA with a winning bid. I can't see the average Idahoian (or is it Idahoite) being excited for a NYC Olympics. :shrug:

cujo said:
Sweet :up:

That vote almost makes up for Kurri's pathetic return to Edmonton, where he dawned an Oilers uniform to score one last time. Oh how brutal it was.

Nostalgic Pre-Game Ceremonies :down:
He came back to Edmonton for one game? I totally missed that!

zonelistener said:
I was pretty excited when I saw the headline this morning.

Congratulations to Vancouver. I look forward to seeing the city soon (very soon...?).

I was just think, (and I know this is hard for Cujo to believe)...I see a lot of civic/national pride with Vancouver wining this bid. I would bet that if New York or (insert any city name here), there would not be horrible amoutns of National pride in the USA with a winning bid. I can't see the average Idahoian (or is it Idahoite) being excited for a NYC Olympics. :shrug:
LOL, not everyone in Vancouver is as obnoxious with the civic pride as me! :wink: To be honest, many people in Vancouver and BC don't want the games as they feel there are much more pressing matters that need to be addressed (ie, health care, education, the many cut backs that have occurred, etc.)...and many feel these games are a huge waste of money simply to satisfy a few egos at the top.

I can see both sides of the issue, to be honest. One thing is for certain: Vancouver will never be the same again after these Olympics. That is both good and bad. Many here feel it's the world's best kept secret, and we don't want it tarnished...but of course, the exposure will also make it a world class city in so many ways. I'm kind of torn over it, I guess.

Yaay!

Vancouver is likely the 2nd most beautiful city in Canada (sorry, but Quebec City kicks all sorts of ass), and Whistler is lovely. It should be a fantastic time.

And now we should all get a 2nd job so we can afford those gold medal hockey tickets. :sexywink:

Michael Griffiths said:

LOL, not everyone in Vancouver is as obnoxious with the civic pride as me! :wink: To be honest, many people in Vancouver and BC don't want the games as they feel there are much more pressing matters that need to be addressed (ie, health care, education, the many cut backs that have occurred, etc.)...and many feel these games are a huge waste of money simply to satisfy a few egos at the top.

I can see both sides of the issue, to be honest. One thing is for certain: Vancouver will never be the same again after these Olympics. That is both good and bad. Many here feel it's the world's best kept secret, and we don't want it tarnished...but of course, the exposure will also make it a world class city in so many ways. I'm kind of torn over it, I guess.

I agree with all that you've said. The revenue generated from the tourism and buzz will probably justify the effort put into the games. The Olympic hosting duties aren't always selfish, often they lead to dramatic reconstruction of both amateur sport and public works. Critics will be silenced when they see how successful this bid will be... it has had a beneficial and lasting effect on Calgary (from '88), as it is now recognized as a "World Class City" as well as a World Class Venue for sport.

:sexywink:

PS- As for Kurri's return... I think we've discussed it before. He came back for the pre-game ceremony of one game (last year?), and received a pass from the Gretz (I believe) to score again like the days of yore Oiler glory. But it ended up being pathetic, with Kurri dawning a jersey that didn't fit him anymore (the royal blue and orange)... they had him skate up the ice on a break away with a spot light on him, while the announcer yelled something to the effect of "he's on a breakaway, Kurri scores!!!"...

I felt really bad for him... that's what I'll remember of old Jari from now on. Unfortunate.

:down:

anitram said:
Yaay!

Vancouver is likely the 2nd most beautiful city in Canada (sorry, but Quebec City kicks all sorts of ass), and Whistler is lovely.
What? Blasphemy! :wink:

I guess it all depends on personal preference...they're totally different cities. One is like Europe in terms of architecture and culture, while the other is breathtakingly exquisite in terms of natural scenery and modern architecture.

Quebec City is truly beautiful:

NW007293.jpg

I've seen many a beatiful city...ranging from London, to Paris, to Venice, to Rome...and Rio is gorgeous, too. But for my money (not that I have any), Vancouver is possibly the most beautiful city in the entire world...I mean, where else do you have snow capped mountains (more so in the winter) behind a breathtaking skyline, all of which are situated amongst lush park lands, right on the Pacific Ocean? Not that I'm biased or anything. :wink:

city_false.jpg

LOL, Michael Griffiths, I think they should elect you mayor. You would do Vancouver proud, and I say that with the utmost reverence.

Vancouver's setting is beautiful, but to me, the soul of the city is the culture (architecture) and the people. I simply prefer Quebec, I prefer the European bustle, the tiny streets, the steep alleyways, the food, the old time charm, the boardwalk behind the Plains of Abraham. It's all a living history to me, but to each his own. Plus, the weather (ie. rain) is a big turn off.

My family is friends with the Kostelic skiing family (have you heard of them?) and if Janica and Ivica are still competing in 2010 (good chance, she is still only 21), I will be coming to your beautiful city. Actually, I am thinking of going to either Maui or Oahu at the end of August, so I might come to Vancouver and take a flight through there. :)

Way too funny! LOL! I agree with you: I think Vancouver's soul is lacking to some extent. That's what I love about places like Montreal...they've got a warmth about them. Vancouver is like the really attractive pop star or something - beautiful on the outside, but lacking in any true substance. Well, that's selling it a bit short, but you know what I mean. It's a different lifestyle out here...very active...everything is based around hiking, sailing, skiing, mountain biking, etc...though we have some great cultural areas, too (Commercial Drive, Gastown, parts of Kits).

As for the weather, it's a bit of a myth that it rains all the time. I was just down there, and my cousin was telling me how it hadn't rained all spring until just very recently. It's just that when it does rain, it's VERY wet...it's a rain forest, afterall :sexywink:

I hope you do get to visit! If U2 is still alive and strong then, maybe you'll let me know on here, lol.

PS. Trevor Linden is the mayor of this city, not me :wink:

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
PS. Trevor Linden is the mayor of this city, not me :wink:

Either way it's better than that fool Mel Lastman we've got here. Can't even go with Sundin, not only because I'm not impressed by him, but because he's got no teeth. What kind of mayor is that?

In the final minute of ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, they discussed the Vancouver Olympic Bid Winning... and whether it was good or bad. Since it's an American outlet, guess what they said?

... it screws up the chances for New York to host in 2012.

:up:

I know it was you Headache.

congratulations for Vancouver.

too bad for New York, I think Vancouver just killed 'our' dream of hosting in 2012...

Thanks, ouizy!

You never really know how things pan out. Sure politics are involved, but if you ask the IOC they will tell you it's historically always the best city which wins. If I were New York, I'd be more concerned with the competition Toronto would offer than the chances of the 2012 games not being in N. America.

I'm really looking forward to the Vancouver games...many experts have said (inlcuding the IOC) that 2010 has the potential to be the best Olympics ever held.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom