MERGED--> Transformers Movie + The Transformers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:
Also The Matrix (the first one) and T2 are good examples IMO, I realize there is allot of Sci-Fi in there but at their core they rely on several amazing action set pieces...

even though it's hilariously gory, i'd also point to the first Kill Bill when it comes to action. watching Uma hack off dozens of limbs is it's own unique pleasure.

I do understand Irvine's issues with the senesless action sequences. My brother complained about that too-saying it was hard to tell how the robots transformed because everything was such a blur. I dunno though. . .it worked for me.

Excellent nominees for quality action films, I must say.

I really did like T2 and of course The Matrix action sequences were like a cultural phenomenon.

Does Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon count as action?

Irvine, it must be a relief to come into this thread after all the hell going on in FYM. I haven't had the energy to step into the maelstrom myself yet, but I suppose I will. (Also have to work on my novel first and haven't had time).

Irvine511 said:

even though it's hilariously gory, i'd also point to the first Kill Bill when it comes to action. watching Uma hack off dozens of limbs is it's own unique pleasure.

The Crazy 88 fight :drool:

Her duel with Oren in the winter garden is classic, too.

Anyway, like I said in the Cloverfield thread, I finally got a chance to see this today.

I was pleased. It was gloriously bad in typical Bay fashion, but it was in a fantasticaly self-aware camp-through-the-roof method that I had always hoped the film would take. It was even genuinely funny in a few spots which shocked me quite a bit. And John Turturo surprised the shit out when he showed up in the film, and provided a truly hilarious great tongue-in-cheek performance.

My only real complaint would be that throughout a lot of the action scenes, the camera was a bit too close, so it felt a bit claustrophobic. Other than that, the film was perfectly on target, and didn't disappoint in the least.

As for the complaints I've heard regarding Hugo Weaving's voice talent being a waste. Pish-tosh I say! He definitely lent enough of his own style to Megatron to make him stand out as a badass alien robot.

And the only time my inner geek-Transformers-quasi-fanboy-ego broke out was when Starscream started bombing the fuck out of the dudes on the street, and GMC-truck-atron was like "IT'S STARRRRSCREEAAAAM!", and then Starscream was flying along with the other Raptors and started pwning them hardcore. That was sweet.

I love Starscream.

This movie also made a Smashing Pumpkins song badass, how is that even possible?

"Doomsday Clock" was playing when Megan Fox said the "You shoot. I drive." line to Bumblebee.

Thank you Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, you now have my blessing on Star Trek.

I remember watching Labeouf on Di$ney growing up. Never thought he'd have a successful career after that.

This movie kicks all kinds of ass. I finally saw it yesterday. Aside from the goofy "stealth" sequence which I guess was intended for some comic relief, I thought the movie was awesome. Exactly what I expected, and probably the first Michael Bay film that didn't make me want to create a time machine for the sole purpose of going back in time and stopping his parents from meeting.

I do wish they had more of the autobots in their original forms (Sideswipe, I miss you buddy. You never got your due), and when in robot form I really couldn't tell who was who. But it didn't matter. Ass was being kicked at every turn.

No offense to any fans here, but I hated this film. A lot of it was mostly because I still feel tied to the cartoon of my childhood, even though I thought I was over it. Then again, the whole reason I went was nostalgia and I felt Michael Bay and his awful writers spat on that by not developing the Transformers at all. Barely any Transformers spoke other than Prime. Megan Fox was super hot and Sam was alright, but the whole romance felt so cliche and superficial.

I know, I know, it's a superficial movie, but I much prefered Die Hard 4.

The only way I even cared about the characters a little bit was because I was transfering my memories and feelings from the cartoon versions of these characters. Otherwise, why would anyone care what happened to Jazz (or even know his name). I was traumatized! And Prime only gives some superficial speech, before kissing human butt.

Even Prime was much less cool than he was in the cartoon, when he actually seemed to scream Megatron's name and communicated a lot more emotion.

Also, the Transformers looked ugly and the fight scenes were headache-inducing and not fun at all. I felt exhilirated by the Die Hard 4 stuff, even if it was ridiculous, but Transformers left me with nothing..... except maybe fantasies about Megan Fox.

And what was with all the militarism? If anyone is gonna screw over people it's the Defense Department using the military -- not some covert ops. One article I read also talked about Michael Bay's not so subtle racism. What was he trying to say with all those good troops telling their Hispanic comrade to stop emoting in Spanish? Why did all the black characters call their mother or grandmother "bitch"? What was that Indian operator business? It felt like a lot of angry white conservative nationalism.

Last edited:
Muldfeld said:

And what was with all the militarism? If anyone is gonna screw over people it's the Defense Department using the military -- not some covert ops. One article I read also talked about Michael Bay's not so subtle racism. What was he trying to say with all those good troops telling their Hispanic comrade to stop emoting in Spanish? Why did all the black characters call their mother or grandmother "bitch"? What was that Indian operator business? It felt like a lot of angry white conservative nationalism.

Well, despite the fact that I liked the movie, you raise some good points here. It's just the nature of Bay if you ask me. . .it's one of the reasons I don't care for his films in general.

maycocksean said:

Well, despite the fact that I liked the movie, you raise some good points here. It's just the nature of Bay if you ask me. . .it's one of the reasons I don't care for his films in general.
Thanks. It would have been interesting to see if Spielberg had done it. He was the one who initiated the whole thing, and I remember loving Juriassic Park when I saw that -- though I was 13, his characters were just more likeable. Did he not want to deal with all the CGI or something? Shame on Spielberg.

I think Spielberg was just busy with Indy IV, as well as 2 other direction projects he's juggling as well as a bunch of other productions he's taking care of.

Lancemc said:
I think Spielberg was just busy with Indy IV, as well as 2 other direction projects he's juggling as well as a bunch of other productions he's taking care of.

Lincoln and Interstellar I believe (co-written by the Nolan bros. :drool:)

LemonMacPhisto said:

Lincoln and Interstellar I believe (co-written by the Nolan bros. :drool:)

Just Jonah Nolan actually. But he's the real writing talent anyway. Interstellar is going to be mindblowing. The closed thing to that type of sci-fi Spielberg has ever done was Close Encounters of the Third Kind....and that movie is a classic. I'd imagine he'll be using Cameron's stereoscopic techniques as well. It's pretty much a given, with the worm-hole concepts and all.

Lancemc said:

Just Jonah Nolan actually. But he's the real writing talent anyway. Interstellar is going to be mindblowing. The closed thing to that type of sci-fi Spielberg has ever done was Close Encounters of the Third Kind....and that movie is a classic. I'd imagine he'll be using Cameron's stereoscopic techniques as well. It's pretty much a given, with the worm-hole concepts and all.

:drool:

Will this be Spielberg's first foray into the 3D format as well? I know he's one of the big proponents for that new 3D format along with Cameron and this looks like the best project to use it on.

Well... I want to see some 3D Lincoln, too, bitches.

It's not confirmed he'll be filming is HD Digital Stereo, but I can't imagine a better first-step than Interstellar.

Oh My God.

I saw it last night, and it was woeful. One of the worst movies I have EVER seen, and my hopes wern't high going into it.

My main point of contentions.

The acting was mental. One moment you had people swearing and lots of adult humour and stuff, and then the next moment it was dumbed down and kid like and stupid. Completely bi polar.

I could not stand Sam, and there is no way that that Megan Fox is 1. high school age 2, would ever put up with someone as retarded as Sam and their dialogue was awkward and totally unrealistic and uhm a FOCAL POINT OF THE FILM? Was it call 'The awkward ugly boy meets some not that hot girl movie' or Transformers?

When didn't even get to see the transformers other then one baddy one until 30 minutes into the movie. The introductions were rushed, not enough back story and fun with them. They seemed dopey not hardcore alien transformers as they should be

the action was way to fast, cgi was good, but just waaaaaay too fast

and what is with all the slow motion tracts and the "top gun" shots walking to the planes.

im glad i didn't have to pay for it or i would have been pissed! :mad:

dazzlingamy said:

and what is with all the slow motion tracts and the "top gun" shots walking to the planes.

:lol: That's classic Michael Bay. Those shots are in every one of his movies.

Guess this is one of those movies you either love or hate. Your criticisms were all well-founded. And yet. . .for some bizarre reason. . .I loved it anyway.

even, paid to see it.

Twice.

:reject:

The funniest parts for me was when the FBI went to the house and all panic broke loose and the 'earthqueake' bit :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom