MERGED--> Transformers Movie + The Transformers - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 PM
I wish Mace would have just chopped his head off like he should have. Then maybe his character-focus in all three films would have even been a little bit worth-while.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:29 AM   #77
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Hey, it's George Lucas we're talking about here. I'm pretty sure he's been replaced by an android somewhere between 1982 and 1983.

I'm still really excited for Transformers.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 AM
transformers fucking rules i cant wait to go see it and take my own kids
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #79
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I added the Mute Math theme to my MySpace. That song fucking owns.

Everyone needs to like Mute Math, they're one of the best young bands around.

I love their electro alt-rock goodness
Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 11:25 AM
They don't even play the Mute Math theme in the movie...not even during the credits (although it's possible it may have come up later in the credits...had to go!). They do, however, play music in the opening scene that is very similar to some of the music in the 1986 movie. I can't wait to go see this again...
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I haven't seen Die Hard 4 yet, but it's going to be tough to compete with this one. Man oh maaan, what a fine action movie. Those special effects...

I forgot how much fun midnight showings can be. This nerd behind us was dressed up as Megatron (his costume was made up of cardboard boxes spray painted silver, naturally). Watching him walk down the stairs in the middle of the movie for a bathroom break was surreal. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate Dogg
They don't even play the Mute Math theme in the movie...not even during the credits (although it's possible it may have come up later in the credits...had to go!).
Yeah, I kept waiting for it but had to go shortly after the credits started to roll
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie/

61% Lance...

I can see your new signature pic now...

Uwe Boll and Michael Bay holding hands...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

I this quote:

Bay's best effort by far. The robot thespians are better actors than the cast of Armageddon and the plot is probably more historically accurate than Pearl Harbor.

-Mike Ward, Richmond.com

Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 PM
I've got some good Die Hard review quotes tucked away incase I miraculously win this bet.

It does look like I might be losing the RT part of this bet, but the metacritic #'s are still extremely close, and that one could go either way. Same for the Interference poll.

We shall see good sir. We shall see.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #85
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

John McClane vs. Starscream? That's a toughie.

John McClane vs. Unicron, not even close...

NSW, you gotta post the picture.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #86
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I added the Mute Math theme to my MySpace. That song fucking owns.

Everyone needs to like Mute Math, they're one of the best young bands around.

I love their electro alt-rock goodness
I checked the myspace page. That Transformers theme is actually worse and less catchy than the 1986 movie theme, and that was pretty lame, though I loved it as a youngster.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate Dogg
They don't even play the Mute Math theme in the movie...not even during the credits
That's good. Otherwise, I'd be too embarrassed to go, and I'm not even sure nostalgia is even enough. I wish Spielberg had directed this. Then I could always say I was seeing "a Steven Spielberg film", not a childish story. These same idiots are working on Star Trek, and it's gonna suck because the wrote for Alias, and that show sucked!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I hate Michael Bay.

As a fan of the cartoon when I was I kid I didn't like the GM takeover of the Autobots and numerous other changes to the characters/story.

I knew the acting would be terrible and the plot weak.

But. . . .
I just saw Transformers last night and for what it was, it wasn't bad at all. In fact it was pretty darn good if you judge based on what it was rather than expecting it to be some sort of deep, cerebral, well-acted "film" as opposed to a "movie."

While I know Bay was trying to reach a new generation of fans (thus throwing out a lot of the sacred cows of the old school traditionalists to make it "better"), I think the old fans will still be the ones who appreciate it most. Seeing it with old friends and my little brother (who at 31 isn't so liittle anymore), hearing the familiar voice of Optimus Prime, there was a remarkable feeling of nostalgia. I really, honestly felt like a kid again, immune to the cheesy dialogue, thin plot, and poor acting and just awed by those cars turning into robots.

I went in with very low expectations, pretty much expecting to be disappointed. But I was pleasantly surprised--the acting and dialogue was pretty creaky early on, but Shia Lebeuf, John Turturro and others actually had some pretty funny lines later in the film. The autobots were one giant GM ad, but even if their appearance was different, they kept the spirit of the original characters, especially Bumblebee who reminded me a lot of the orignal one--same kind of spunk and big heart that I remember.

The film had the usual Michael Bay touches--the slo-mo walk on the tarmac of the military heroes (and Bay's usual abject worship of the military), the female eye candy sprinkled throughout the film (though Megan Fox's character did most of the saving rather than helplessly waiting to be saved--Bay's nod to femnism I suppose), the hypercolor and hyper action, but it worked here. Bay even managed to pile on our horribly unpopular president, throwing a couple of obvious George W. Bush digs.

I personally thought the special effects were fantastic. There was a definite "wow" factor to watching those robots transform, especially on the fly. And for the fans of the cartoon and the toys there are a lot of tributes to the series including a backhanded tribute to the original VW Bumblebee.

For a fun, thrill-ride, blockbuster of a movie, I thought Transformers worked. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel--and even, hey developing the charachters of the Transformers. Now that would be interesting!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #88
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

That's a good assessment of Michael Bay, maybe the least talented popular director around today.

All of his movies have potentially great ideas/actors that he manages to mangle completely.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

Michael Bay wouldn't know subtlety if it ran him over in a flaming semi-truck...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #90
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
Michael Bay wouldn't know subtlety if it ran him over in a flaming semi-truck...
In SLOW MOTION!!!