MERGED--> Transformers Movie + The Transformers - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BEAL
*Beal gets up to go play with Animal Crakers on Liv Tylers chest. It's one of the quirks of living in a Michael Bay world*

hot.

i don't want to miss a thing.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
Also The Matrix (the first one) and T2 are good examples IMO, I realize there is allot of Sci-Fi in there but at their core they rely on several amazing action set pieces...

even though it's hilariously gory, i'd also point to the first Kill Bill when it comes to action. watching Uma hack off dozens of limbs is it's own unique pleasure.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I do understand Irvine's issues with the senesless action sequences. My brother complained about that too-saying it was hard to tell how the robots transformed because everything was such a blur. I dunno though. . .it worked for me.

Excellent nominees for quality action films, I must say.

I really did like T2 and of course The Matrix action sequences were like a cultural phenomenon.

Does Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon count as action?

Irvine, it must be a relief to come into this thread after all the hell going on in FYM. I haven't had the energy to step into the maelstrom myself yet, but I suppose I will. (Also have to work on my novel first and haven't had time).
Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #184
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

even though it's hilariously gory, i'd also point to the first Kill Bill when it comes to action. watching Uma hack off dozens of limbs is it's own unique pleasure.
The Crazy 88 fight

Her duel with Oren in the winter garden is classic, too.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 PM
Anyway, like I said in the Cloverfield thread, I finally got a chance to see this today.

I was pleased. It was gloriously bad in typical Bay fashion, but it was in a fantasticaly self-aware camp-through-the-roof method that I had always hoped the film would take. It was even genuinely funny in a few spots which shocked me quite a bit. And John Turturo surprised the shit out when he showed up in the film, and provided a truly hilarious great tongue-in-cheek performance.

My only real complaint would be that throughout a lot of the action scenes, the camera was a bit too close, so it felt a bit claustrophobic. Other than that, the film was perfectly on target, and didn't disappoint in the least.

As for the complaints I've heard regarding Hugo Weaving's voice talent being a waste. Pish-tosh I say! He definitely lent enough of his own style to Megatron to make him stand out as a badass alien robot.

And the only time my inner geek-Transformers-quasi-fanboy-ego broke out was when Starscream started bombing the fuck out of the dudes on the street, and GMC-truck-atron was like "IT'S STARRRRSCREEAAAAM!", and then Starscream was flying along with the other Raptors and started pwning them hardcore. That was sweet.

I love Starscream.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #186
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

This movie also made a Smashing Pumpkins song badass, how is that even possible?

"Doomsday Clock" was playing when Megan Fox said the "You shoot. I drive." line to Bumblebee.

Thank you Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, you now have my blessing on Star Trek.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

Good call.

I also don't hate Shia LeBouf anymore. Horray. Bring on Indy IV dude.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #188
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I remember watching Labeouf on Di$ney growing up. Never thought he'd have a successful career after that.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #189
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

This movie kicks all kinds of ass. I finally saw it yesterday. Aside from the goofy "stealth" sequence which I guess was intended for some comic relief, I thought the movie was awesome. Exactly what I expected, and probably the first Michael Bay film that didn't make me want to create a time machine for the sole purpose of going back in time and stopping his parents from meeting.

I do wish they had more of the autobots in their original forms (Sideswipe, I miss you buddy. You never got your due), and when in robot form I really couldn't tell who was who. But it didn't matter. Ass was being kicked at every turn.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #190
Refugee

No offense to any fans here, but I hated this film. A lot of it was mostly because I still feel tied to the cartoon of my childhood, even though I thought I was over it. Then again, the whole reason I went was nostalgia and I felt Michael Bay and his awful writers spat on that by not developing the Transformers at all. Barely any Transformers spoke other than Prime. Megan Fox was super hot and Sam was alright, but the whole romance felt so cliche and superficial.

I know, I know, it's a superficial movie, but I much prefered Die Hard 4.

The only way I even cared about the characters a little bit was because I was transfering my memories and feelings from the cartoon versions of these characters. Otherwise, why would anyone care what happened to Jazz (or even know his name). I was traumatized! And Prime only gives some superficial speech, before kissing human butt.

Even Prime was much less cool than he was in the cartoon, when he actually seemed to scream Megatron's name and communicated a lot more emotion.

Also, the Transformers looked ugly and the fight scenes were headache-inducing and not fun at all. I felt exhilirated by the Die Hard 4 stuff, even if it was ridiculous, but Transformers left me with nothing..... except maybe fantasies about Megan Fox.

And what was with all the militarism? If anyone is gonna screw over people it's the Defense Department using the military -- not some covert ops. One article I read also talked about Michael Bay's not so subtle racism. What was he trying to say with all those good troops telling their Hispanic comrade to stop emoting in Spanish? Why did all the black characters call their mother or grandmother "bitch"? What was that Indian operator business? It felt like a lot of angry white conservative nationalism.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

And what was with all the militarism? If anyone is gonna screw over people it's the Defense Department using the military -- not some covert ops. One article I read also talked about Michael Bay's not so subtle racism. What was he trying to say with all those good troops telling their Hispanic comrade to stop emoting in Spanish? Why did all the black characters call their mother or grandmother "bitch"? What was that Indian operator business? It felt like a lot of angry white conservative nationalism.
Well, despite the fact that I liked the movie, you raise some good points here. It's just the nature of Bay if you ask me. . .it's one of the reasons I don't care for his films in general.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #192
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Well, despite the fact that I liked the movie, you raise some good points here. It's just the nature of Bay if you ask me. . .it's one of the reasons I don't care for his films in general.
Thanks. It would have been interesting to see if Spielberg had done it. He was the one who initiated the whole thing, and I remember loving Juriassic Park when I saw that -- though I was 13, his characters were just more likeable. Did he not want to deal with all the CGI or something? Shame on Spielberg.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

I think Spielberg was just busy with Indy IV, as well as 2 other direction projects he's juggling as well as a bunch of other productions he's taking care of.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

this movie kicks so much ass!!!!

"Put the cube in my heart so i can live"

Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #195
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I think Spielberg was just busy with Indy IV, as well as 2 other direction projects he's juggling as well as a bunch of other productions he's taking care of.
Lincoln and Interstellar I believe (co-written by the Nolan bros. )