MERGED ---> Tori Amos (...and Ani DiFranco) + Tori Amos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Tori Amos (...and Ani DiFranco)

Okay..
I've never listened to Tori Amos (or Ani Difranco) but both names (more Tori) keeps coming up lately.

So I figure I may as well give these gals a shot.

What should I download (or buy, but first download)?

Tori Tori TORI
you need Little Earthquakes and To Venus and Back

from Ani....
I'd try Little Plastic Castle
and Revelling/Reckoning

thank Jesus bacon they're still being talked about :tongue:

I know a lot more about Tori, so here we go. I'm going to give you some suggestions of songs that aren't as popular but are still really good, underrated in many cases:

ALBUM TRACKS

Little Earthquakes:
Precious Things
Mother
Tear In Your Hand

Under the Pink:
Pretty Good Year
Past the Mission
Yes Anastasia

Boys for Pele:
Marianne
Hey Jupiter (the Dakota remix is better than the album version)
Not the Red Baron
Doughnut Song
Putting the Damage On (have tissues ready)
Twinkle

From the Choirgirl Hotel:
Black-Dove (January)
She's Your Cocaine
Pandora's Aquarium

To Venus and Back:
Josephine
1,000 Oceans

Strange Little Girls:
I'm Not In Love
'97 Bonnie and Clyde (if you have a strong stomach)

Scarlet's Walk:
A Sorta Fairytale
Wednesday
Crazy
Taxi Ride
Gold Dust

NON-ALBUM TRACKS

B-sides:
Black Swan
Mary
Butterfly
Cooling
Beulah Land
Frog on My Toe
Song for Eric
Ode to the Banana King Pt. 1
Song for Mark (absolutely beautiful, just don't pay attention to the shitty quality)

Covers:
Songbird
Thank You
Whole Lotta Love
Landslide
Strange Fruit
If 6 Was 9

About Ani di Franco: I can't give you that kind of list, but damn, listen to "Untouchable Face." What an awesome f***** song.

tori is well known, search for a download of the bootleg live in canada 93?, sound quality medium, but what a performance. the cover of smells like teen spirit is incredible.

anidifranco... reckoning/ revelling, there are some good songs.

i like "so what".

Tori songs that you should download:

Crucify
Winter
Tear in Your Hand
Cornflake Girl
Black Dove
Jackie's Strength
Precious Things
A Sorta Fairytale
Crazy

the only Ani song I really like is "Hell Yeah" but I'm not very familiar with her whole catalogue

Boys for Pele is my favorite record ever, tied with Achtung Baby. Yet somehow I tend to think that with Tori it's good to start at the beginning, with Little Earthquakes. Anyway, let us know what you think!

I'm off to see her in Denver on Thursday. :hyper:

I bring this thread back up just to tell you what I think...

have I mentioned that I listened to A Sort of Fairytale like, 21 time in 3 days....it's such an amazing song...

So then I d'led so much more...Winter, Precious Things, Crazy, Tear in Your Hand, Taxi Ride, Spark...to name a few....

I'm going out tomorrow to buy Little Earthquakes or Scarlet's Walk.

You guys converted me into a Tori fan!

Thanks!!!!

psssst...boysforpeleboysforpele

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I bring this thread back up just to tell you what I think...

have I mentioned that I listened to A Sort of Fairytale like, 21 time in 3 days....it's such an amazing song...

So then I d'led so much more...Winter, Precious Things, Crazy, Tear in Your Hand, Taxi Ride, Spark...to name a few....

I'm going out tomorrow to buy Little Earthquakes or Scarlet's Walk.

You guys converted me into a Tori fan!

Thanks!!!!

Yay!!! a sorta fairytale is a great song...I didn't like it so much at first but then I, too, eventually got stuck on it and kept hitting replay in my car over and over and over again.

A suggestion in case you decide on Scarlet's Walk...get the limited edition. More expensive but it has the lyrics, the regular version doesn't, which is almost unforgivable on a Tori record, esp. one as complex as Scarlet. What was she thinking?!
(forgives Tori all crimes, however...)

:wave:

edit: of course, you could get the lyrics off the net and save a couple bucks :huh:

Tori is an artist that you must own ALL her CDs...a lot of tori fans recommended Ani to me and I have her albums DILATE and NOT A PRETTY GIRL...but I find her quite hard to listen to...her style is a bit strange...more like poetry to a beat.

Tori Amos

I heard the song where it goes "he had to get out of there" (or something like that) and after the chorus she does this falsetto bit matching the piano notes. I'm guessing it's one of her better known songs because I heard it before. (I didn't know it was her though)

What should I listen to?

While we're talking, what other female artists are worth getting into (so far I know Alanis and Sheryl Crow but that's it)? I heard of Fiona Apple, KD lang, Jewel, Tracy Chapman...any suggestions?

To answer your second question, Beth Orton and PJ Harvey.

anyway, I had one Tori Amos song (and another one which was a Bruce Springsteen cover) on the cd pax gave me for the mix exchange ('Winter') and I really really liked that one. :up:

YAY another Tori Amos thread...she's brilliant! I love all her albums...not really sure what song u mean from that one little line though...

I also love a lot of other female artists:

PJ Harvey
Alanis Morissette
Fiona Apple
Heather Nova
Jewel
Bif Naked
Madonna
Beth Orton

ooh lordy

someone recommend me some tori amos songs

things to download
but not 'winter' because i already have that one and :heart: it
and not the cover of 'raining blood' either because it don't sound too good
and don't tell me to go buy an album yet because i'm as poor as a churchmouse who's wife has left him and taken all the cheese but if i like what i hear enough i might eventually get an album

so yea

Ok Download:

Precious Things
Crucify
Silent All These Years
Cornflake Girl
Pretty Good Year
Hey Jupiter
Raspberry Swirl
Spark
Bliss
1000 Oceans
A Sorta Fairytale
Taxi Ride
I Don't Like Mondays
Strange Little Girl
Sugar
Cloud On My Tongue

(to name but a few...) ;) Enjoy!

as i said over in the other tori thread...

celia!!
Thank you!!
:bow:

Well. I'm on the second listen and I'm having an interesting reaction. I can't believe I'm saying this because I totally love Tori ... but now that I'm hearing it, I realize that no one should ever sing this song publicly again except for Bono. I'm kidding, but it's just not right. 'She is raging' is powerful and if I'd been sitting there in front of Tori while she sang it I would have sobbed like an idiot and made a fool of myself and possibly entered an altered state. Tori sings it beautifully but I just don't ever need to hear it again by anybody but Bono for the rest of my life.

:heart: Tori :heart:

lol, I like it at the beginning she says this was supposed to go on Strange Little Hamsters...the womans mad :) :heart:

I wish it had been put on strange little girls though...

Back
Top Bottom