MERGED ----> Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: Engaged + Congrats Tom and Katie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cruisekiss-dop2a.jpg

skjuls said:

So he gets to wear jeans and she's all dolled up!

:|

Exactly right !! :up:
IMO, If Tom dressed up, he would look "so-ooo much better" than Katie ever could look in the first place !! :yes:
Tom's dress up fashion = masculine and sexy ...:drool:
Katie's dress up fashion = teeny bopper and girl next door ...:huh:
The two fashions together do NOT mix !! :yuck:
She definitely reveals how much younger she truly is when it comes to her overall fashion of clothes that she wears ... :tsk:

the Today Show web site has the transcript

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367/

here's an article about it

Tom Cruise is back on the attack as far as Brooke Shields is concerned, and the star grew testy during what grew into an outright debate over antidepressants and psychiatry with Today host Matt Lauer in an interview that aired on the NBC morning show Friday.

Wearing his signature black, Cruise faced Lauer's questions as fiancée Katie Holmes looked on in the studio. In some initial softball questions, Cruise was asked how he's feeling these days. "It's a great time in my life. I'm engaged. I'm really happy. I can't restrain myself," he replied, breaking into a laugh.

After saying, "I still feel that I will talk about what I want to talk about, and I will not talk about what I don't want to talk about," Cruise was asked point blank whether his engagement to Katie Holmes is a publicity stunt for War of the Worlds.

Cruise replied: "There's always cynics, always has been, always will be. I have never worried, Matt, about what other people think and what other people say. You can't."

Noting that Holmes is embracing Cruise's religion of Scientology, Lauer then asked Cruise if he could be with someone who wasn't a Scientologist. He replied: "It's something you don't understand. You can be a Christian and be a Scientologist. It is a religion in that it deals with the spirit, you as a spiritual being."

Cruise also told Lauer he didn't understand the effects of prescribing the drug Ritalin when the host asked Cruise about Brooke Shields, whom Cruise previously slammed for promoting medication to deal with postpartum depression.

Cruise's tone grew fierce enough for Lauer (whom Cruise accused of being "glib") to say, "I'm not prescribing Ritalin, Tom, and I'm not asking anyone else to do it."

The tension between the two men grew when Lauer mentioned how psychiatry helped Shields. "I've never agreed with psychiatry, ever," declared Cruise. "Before I was a Scientologist I never agreed with psychiatry, and when I started studying the history of psychiatry, I understood more and more why I didn't believe in psychology."

Cruise continued: "As far as the Brooke Shields thing, look, you have to understand, I really care about Brooke Shields – she's a wonderful and talented woman, and I want her to do well, and I know psychiatry is a pseudoscience."

After asserting that, psychiatric drugs only "mask the problem," Cruise continued: "The thing that I'm saying about Brooke is that there's misinformation, okay. And she doesn't understand the history of psychiatry. She doesn't understand in the same way that you don't understand it, Matt."

Cruise also insisted, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance," and that through "vitamins and exercise" a person's problems can be cured. "Drugs are not the answer," said Cruise. "I think there's a better quality of life."

Last week, Shields told PEOPLE she was willing to put her public war of words with Cruise behind her after he had criticized her on Access Hollywood.

"I agree with him about his feeling on prescribing drugs to kids. We are in accord," she tells PEOPLE. "I don't think Ritalin should be prescribed to kids. Postpartum depression is a different matter. I think I'm more qualified to talk about that (than he is)."

wow, he's really losing his grip on his easy going, affable image, isn't he?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Last week, Shields told PEOPLE she was willing to put her public war of words with Cruise behind her after he had criticized her on Access Hollywood.

"I agree with him about his feeling on prescribing drugs to kids. We are in accord," she tells PEOPLE. "I don't think Ritalin should be prescribed to kids. Postpartum depression is a different matter. I think I'm more qualified to talk about that (than he is)."

um, yes.

:up:

:| In a ideal world that would be wonderful to believe. He should tell that to the people I know who are fit and take all of their vitamins.
[q]Cruise also insisted, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance," and that through "vitamins and exercise" a person's problems can be cured. "Drugs are not the answer," said Cruise. "I think there's a better quality of life."[/q]

:laugh:

http://youcantmakeitup.blogspot.com/2005/06/cruise-uncontrollable.html

I like this reply in the blog

Open message for Tom Cruise:

It truly is a shame when someone as talented as you falls ever so hard from society's norm. You appear to be suffering from a severe case of pathological narcissism, symptoms of histrionic personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder coupled with folie á deux with your dearly (current) beloved. Since you’ve stated to Matt Lauer that you’ve studied psychiatry to the fullest extent, I should be of the understanding that you FULLY understand what each of these conditions are.

Your ego is definitely out of control and the premise for which you stand on psychiatric issues goes way beyond conventional wisdom. Obviously you choose to read only material that you agree with and will not read (or learn about) anything pertaining to the side you disagree with. This behavior is also indicative of a child in the midst of the “I-Know-Everything-And-You-Know-Nothing” years.

A truly objective and unrestrained person will know and understand ALL sides of an issue and be willing to debate the subject without personal bias. You, Mr. Cruise, have such a condescending air about you that I don’t think it is remotely possible for you to ever be objective at all (see ‘pathological narcissism’).

The inability to respect different points of view and the fact that you chose not to learn about them speaks volumes of your character, which of course is saying nothing at all. Get off your self-induced moral high-horse and put that out of control ego of yours in check!

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

Noting that Holmes is embracing Cruise's religion of Scientology, Lauer then asked Cruise if he could be with someone who wasn't a Scientologist. He replied: "It's something you don't understand. You can be a Christian and be a Scientologist. It is a religion in that it deals with the spirit, you as a spiritual being."

Cruise also insisted, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance," and that through "vitamins and exercise" a person's problems can be cured. "Drugs are not the answer," said Cruise. "I think there's a better quality of life."

."

So is it okay to be a Christian and believe in Xenu????

Hello... no such thing as a chemical imbalance. Two of my family members have bipolar and vitamins and exercise will not help them.

Tom is the one who needs his brain examined.

um, Tom if you've done all this research, then you've probably read this about chemical imbalances:

From WebMD

"Neurotransmitters
The physiological basis of depression can be found in nerve cells in the part of the brain responsible for human emotions centered in the hypothalamus, a cherry-size structure that controls basic functions such as thirst, hunger, sleep, sexual desire, and body temperature. Each nerve cell in your brain is separated by tiny gaps; neurotransmitters communicate by ferrying messages across these gaps to a "receptor" on the other side. Each neurotransmitter has a special shape that helps it fit exactly into a corresponding receptor like a key in an ignition switch. When the neurotransmitter "key" is inserted into its matching receptor's "ignition," the cell fires and sends the message on its way. Once the message is sent, the neurotransmitter is either absorbed into the cell or burned up by enzymes patrolling the gaps.

When the levels of these neurotransmitters are abnormally low, messages can't get across the gaps, and communication in the brain slows down. It appears that depression occurs if you don't have enough of these neurotransmitters circulating in your brain or if your neurotransmitters can't fit into the receptors for some reason.

While there are as many as 100 different kinds of neurotransmitters, norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine seem to be of particular importance in depression. The pathways for these neurotransmitters reach deep into many of the parts of the brain responsible for functions that are affected in depression—sleep, appetite, mood, and sexual interest.

Scientists aren't sure whether depression is directly related to abnormal levels of these transmitters, or whether these neurotransmitters affect yet another neurotransmitter that's even more directly involved in depression. But it is clear that neurotransmitters are related to depression because medications that boost levels of these neurotransmitters also ease depression. Yet some of the newer antidepressants don't affect the levels of all these neurotransmitters, though they still relieve depression. And other drugs (such as cocaine) that do interfere with neurotransmitter levels don't affect depression.

And here's the knottiest puzzle of all: Antidepressants can raise your neurotransmitter levels almost immediately, but your depression won't lift until weeks after drug therapy has begun. Depression appears to be far more than a simple problem with the amount of neurotransmitters in the synaptic cleft. Instead, it is probably influenced by a complex interplay of receptor "ignition" responses and the release of the neurotransmitter "keys." It also seems to depend not just on the number of neurotransmitter keys but on the quality and availability of the receptor ignitions.

Antidepressants appear to make certain receptors unreachable, which may explain the antidepressants' lag time. The inaccessibility of these receptors may trigger an increase in the production of neurotransmitters. These changes don't happen right after antidepressant treatment begins; they can take up to several weeks. This receptor change has been reported in almost all antidepressant drug treatment and also in electroconvulsive therapy. "

yep, no such thing as chemical imbalances, sure - no science behind it, none at all :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"MATT LAUER: But a little bit what you're saying Tom is, you say you want people to do well. But you want them do to well by taking the road that you approve of, as opposed to a road that may work for them."

"MATT LAUER: But you're now telling me that your experiences with the people I know, which are zero, are more important than my experiences."

Matt Lauer I think I love you
:D

Love Matt Lauer:love:

Quickly losing respect for Tom. Think his ex is wonderful and he's gone downhill since. Maybe he's in the midst of his own breakdown and after getting help he will return as the T.C I used to love.:yes:

kellyahern said:
"MATT LAUER: But a little bit what you're saying Tom is, you say you want people to do well. But you want them do to well by taking the road that you approve of, as opposed to a road that may work for them."

"MATT LAUER: But you're now telling me that your experiences with the people I know, which are zero, are more important than my experiences."

Matt Lauer I think I love you
:D

Go Matt Lauer!

This really isn't funny anymore, it's more like a tragicomedy.

I think he's off his meds and needs serious psychiatric help ASAP.

In fact, he reminds me of bipolar patients who enter a manic phase soon after going off Lithium.

You know you're in trouble when Al Roker is criticising you . . .

I got this from the www.televisionwithoutpity.com forums. They got it from Al Roker's blog:

"June 24, 2005 | 8:18 a.m.
Matt's interview with Tom Cruise (Al Roker)

Hey gang, so did you see Matt's interview this morning with Tom Cruise? Okay, I congratulate people who are passionate about their beliefs, their faith and their love. What frightens me a little bit is when that passion tries to steam roll others. I don't want anyone coming after me for knocking Scientology — let's be up front about that. Someone's religion is their deal as long as you don't hurt me or my loved ones with your beliefs, I'm cool with yours.

But I think Tom oversteps the line when he starts taking on people who use certain drugs to deal with either depression, mental illness or other problems. Can there be abuses, troubles and misdiagnosis? You bet. But there is too much evidence that points to real help for certain people.

Is Brooke Shields better because certain drugs helped her post partum depression? You have to look to her and her family for that answer, but it is not Tom Cruise's place to take her to task for her choices. Did they hurt Tom? Did they somehow cause problems for him? Hey, I have relatives who were on Ritalin. A couple it helped, a few it didn't. You don't see me on some crusade, bashing people who did nothing to me.

Just as we should shut up about wondering if Tom's relationship with Katie Holmes is a publicity stunt, Tom oughta pipe down about people he doesn't know about situations he hasn't experienced. You're an actor, not a med student. But the best part about being American is that you can say whatever the heck you want in this country, as loopy and as goofy as it might sound.

So let the war of the words continue — that's what America is all about."

First thought: Go Matt! Go Al! :up:

Second thought: Al Roker has a blog? :huh:

anitram said:
This really isn't funny anymore, it's more like a tragicomedy.

I think he's off his meds and needs serious psychiatric help ASAP.

In fact, he reminds me of bipolar patients who enter a manic phase soon after going off Lithium.

Yes it does.

you know it's bad when even Rosie O'Donnell is criticizing him..I still remember when he went on her show and gave her flowers and she was all gaga

after watching tom on o
and then everywhere else
in the free world
i think i may need to up my meds

shout out to brooke
stand tall girl
u saved a lot of women
by telling ur truth

my tommy needs to breathe
“heart humor and humility
will lighten up your heavy load”
said joni mitchell