MERGED ----> Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: Engaged + Congrats Tom and Katie - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:36 PM

It makes me wonder about his kids w/ Nicole, if they were raised that way. I don't believe she was into Scientology.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #242
War Child

Local Time: 06:36 PM
My God...who in their right mind thinks that kind of nonsense is normal?

Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #243
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Odd that Scientologists despise psychologists.... with those practices many of 'em are going to need a therapist.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:36 PM
wow, the more i read about Scientology, the more it stinks of one gigantic mysogynistic farce. postpartum depression can be treated with vitamins and exercise? childbirth should be drug-free and silent? (!)

why are women letting themselves be subjected to this?

Old 10-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

It makes me wonder about his kids w/ Nicole, if they were raised that way. I don't believe she was into Scientology.
I don't think she was, and in fact, she pretty quickly ran back to the church after her divorce, which leads me to believe she probably did limit the children's exposure to Scientology to some extent.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #246
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Scientologists are strange. I think it is a cult for sure. Parents of my best friend were into it in the late 70's and 80's till they divorced. Boy between the pot smoking they did and the Scientology, they were some very strange people.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:58 AM   #247
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Katie Holmes is an idiot. I feel sorry for this child already.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
EVEN by Hollywood's skewed standards, the birth of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' baby is set to be decidedly odd.

When the 27-year-old actress is wheeled into the delivery room, she will be under strict instructions not to cry or scream out, no matter how painful her labour.

The Dawson's Creek star has agreed to convert to her fiance's Church of Scientology, which insists on "silent births" to avoid traumatising newborn babies.

And that is only the start of the sect's unique take on how to bring up children.

Youngsters are given lie-detector tests, asked to spy on their classmates and face cutting themselves off from family members if they are non-believers.

The revelations are sure to worry Katie's close-knit family and friends who were reported to be "uncomfortable" with her whirlwind romance with the twice-married Mission Impossible hunk.

Mike Sitter, 49, a parishioner at Christ the King Catholic Church in Toledo, Ohio, where Katie's family regularly worship, said: "Katie's uncle Fritz approached me and said, 'So what do you make of this Tom and Katie business? I think Tom seems like a real jerk'. Nobody thinks it will last."

Established by American science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard in 1952, Scientology followers believe humans are riddled with the ghosts of dead aliens.

Before his death in 1986, Hubbard produced a series of controversial papers on how to raise children.

Many of the 50,000 members have adopted his rules, which will discourage Tom and Katie from comforting or nurturing their child.

If it knocks its head against a door while learning to walk, the superstar parents will not give it a cuddle and kiss it better. Instead they are supposed to gently place the baby's head against the door in the belief that the pain will flow back into the object.

Astra Woodcraft, a British-born Scientologist, was in the church from the age of three to 22.

Now 28, she said: "If I was ill my mother would give me a 'touch assist' - I would lie down and she would touch me with her finger. She would say, 'Feel my finger'. She wouldn't stop until I felt better, so to stop her prodding me I'd say I felt better."

And while the church insists its practices make for bright and happy children, some ex-members are urging Katie - who had vowed to stay a virgin until her wedding night - to think twice before embracing it.

Teresa Summers, 47, who was a member for 20 years, said: "Mothers who have raised children in the Church of Scientology and come out have a terrible sense of guilt over what our children went through.

"Teachers don't have college degrees. They are trained in Scientology method. They don't explain. They don't help." The sect runs a network of private schools around the world, including one in Britain, and members are encouraged to enrol their children.

One recent flier warned against state education, saying: "If you turn your kids over to the enemy all day for 12 to 15 years, which side do you think they will come out on?"

At the schools, children may use a "learning accelerator" device that detects small amounts of electrical resistance in the palms of their hands. The child holds two electrodes and answers questions - with a needle on the device indicating if they are lying.

Hubbard also designed a 60-question test to be used on children as young as six, including "Have you spoiled things for people?"

ASTRA, who lives in California, said when she was five or six years old, she was put through a series of bizarre tests.

"It was like a drill where I was told, 'Look at the wall, walk to the wall, touch the wall, walk away from the wall'.

"Other times I would be told to follow someone's hand movements with my eyes. It was supposed to calm you down and help you see the world clearly, it was hypnotic."

Teresa also says children are asked to spy on each other and subjected to laborious punishments. "It's called making amends," she explained. "My daughter was made to scrub poles, paint walls, report on her friends. I let her do all that."

It is believed Tom and Katie will set up home in a new £15million pad in an upmarket suburb of Montecito, California. Boasting four bedrooms - and a nursery - pool and tennis courts, their neighbours will include Kevin Costner and Oprah Winfrey.

There is certainly no doubt how much Tom wants the child.

After he split from first wife Mimi Rogers in 1990 following a childless marriage, he said: "I have cried tears of frustration. I would turn down an Oscar to see my boy at a baseball game or my girl at a song recital."
Wow! That is unbelievably fucked up.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

His kids are starting to learn about scientology. They've already gone through some classes.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 AM   #250
Refugee

Local Time: 05:36 PM
* yawn they bore me, so will their demon-spawn.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #251
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I don't think she was, and in fact, she pretty quickly ran back to the church after her divorce, which leads me to believe she probably did limit the children's exposure to Scientology to some extent.
Between her non-embrace of Scientology and being unable to have the children he was apparently crying over...no wonder he dumped her. Oh, but it takes two for a divorce.

I would feel like such crap if I was her--on one hand, I'd be glad I was rid of the weirdo but it still must seem like a big slap in the face.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #252
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:

I heard on TV she was raised Catholic.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:07 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Holmes Dumps Publicist for Cruise's Sister

Pregnant actress Katie Holmes has fired her publicist Leslie Sloane-Zelnick after nine years together, and has hired her fiance Tom Cruise's sister as her new spokesperson. The Batman Begins star and Cruise announced her pregnancy last week, which comes only six months after the couple began dating. Since Holmes began her controversial relationship with Cruise, she has parted ways with her management company, agents and now Sloane-Zelnick. Holmes will now be represented by Cruise's sister and fellow Scientologist Lee Anne DeVette, who became the actor's spokesperson last year after he left his longtime publicist Pat Kingsley. Sloane-Zelnick tells the New York Daily News, "We were with her for nine years. We wish her the best. She has chosen to work with her future sister-in-law. We wish her well, and congratulate her on her happy news."

Old 10-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #254
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Can you say BRAIN WASHED?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I read this morning that the unborn baby is already being called "Tom Kitten" by the press.