MERGED ----> The Killers - Sam's Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
48sy.jpg
915062028829xr2.jpg

:hmm:

elevation2u said:

Oh that's no coincidence.

Brandon Flowers is to Bruce Springsteen like
Chris Martin is to Bono/Thom Yorke/Michael Stipe

analogies :drool:

Zootlesque said:
People! Turn on Channel 4, NBC! Saturday Night Live featuring The Killers! 11:30 PM EST! :hyper:

Yeah, so I wish I could've unwatched that. I thought their performances were awful. Brandon was pretty off-key and he honestly looked like he was high. I think it was during Bones when he started to twirl in circles and blankly stare up at the ceiling :huh:. I actually felt embarrassed for him.

Queen Bee said:

Yeah, so I wish I could've unwatched that. I thought their performances were awful. Brandon was pretty off-key and he honestly looked like he was high. I think it was during Bones when he started to twirl in circles and blankly stare up at the ceiling :huh:. I actually felt embarrassed for him.

I kinda agree :sigh: even though I do like the When You Were Young song.

This is from a relatively negative allmusic.com review which also gives them 4 stars, LOL... The reviewer gives aspects of why I like this album (in bold)

Yes, it's cobbled together from elements shamelessly stolen from Springsteen, U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Bowie, Queen, Duran Duran and New Order, but nobody on earth would have thought of throwing these heroes of 1985 together because they would have instinctively known that it wouldn't work. But not the Killers! They didn't let anything stop their monumental misconception, they were able to indulge to their hearts content – even hiring U2/Depeche Mode producers Alan Moulder and Flood to help construct their monstrosity, which gives their half-baked ideas a grandeur they aspire to but don't deserve. But even if the music doesn't really work, it's hard not to listen to it in slack-jawed wonderment, since there's never been a record quite like it – it's nothing but wrong-headed dreams, it's all pomp but no glamour, it's clichés sung as if they were myths.

Sam's Town is loud, bombastic, and a big sprawling epic that may or may not say anything but after listening to it all weekend, I have to say its grown on me A LOT. I wasn't too jazzed about the title track in the beginning but now consider it one of the best tracks on the album. Of course there appears to be more of an earnest bent on this album lyrically and with the songs but I don't mind... Flower's voice allows for it IMO.

I think songs such as Sam's Town, Reasons Unknown, Read My Mind, The River is Wild, When You Were Young, etc. are as good as anything they've put out through Hot Fuss. What hooked me is the bombast, the wall of sound, Flowers' singing which I really liked. Is it a perfect album, heck no... But I like the effort... And the hooks are great too.

Thank you FuManchu!

Now I just need Daddy's Eyes to get all the random shit that you have to hunt and seek because I will buy the standard album tomorrow. Full tracklisting with all random shit:

"Sam's Town" - 4:06
"Enterlude" - 0:49
"When You Were Young" - 3:40
"Bling (Confession of a King)" - 4:08
"For Reasons Unknown" - 3:32
"Read My Mind" - 4:06
"Uncle Jonny" - 4:25
"Bones" - 3:47
"My List" - 4:08
"This River Is Wild" - 4:38
"Why Do I Keep Counting?" - 4:24
"Exitlude" - 2:31
"Where The White Boys Dance (iTunes Bonus Track & Import Bonus Track)" - 3:28
"All The Pretty Faces (Import Bonus Track)" - 4:45
"Daddy's Eyes (Best Buy Exclusive Bonus Track) - ?:??

And, by the way, I love the AllMusic review. Hilarious. It is basically a "it's so bad, it's good" review.

after a few more listenes... it's really not bad. it's actually pretty good. i just think a lot of us were hoping for the killers to go from hot fuss into an all time classic... which really isn't fair.

it took u2 5 albums to make the joshua tree. if everyone just dismissed them because october wasn't as good as boy, what would we all be doing to waste hours upon hours of time?

Speaking for myself, I certainly wasn't looking for an all-time classic, but a little more consistency would have been nice.

I don't think people are dismissing The Killers - I'm certainly not. I just think this latest album is not up to the level of Hot Fuss. Doesn't mean they won't ever release anything good ever again...

:shrug:

I'll be honest, and say this album didn't really grab me when I first listened to it b/c I was probably expecting Hot Fuss or something like When You Were Young, (but maybe it's my state of mind) but after the whole repeated listens, I fully appreciate the effort now. Hell, When You Were Young probably even sounds a little out of place on this album in retrospect IMO.

bsp77 said:
And, by the way, I love the AllMusic review. Hilarious. It is basically a "it's so bad, it's good" review.

I know.... freakin' hillarious... Like talk about a ridiculous review... It's like he wants to say he likes it but b/c its an in thing to bag The Killers or maybe its uncool to like The Killers he sort of wants to leave an out or vice versa... but definitely a bipolar review...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
after a few more listenes... it's really not bad. it's actually pretty good. i just think a lot of us were hoping for the killers to go from hot fuss into an all time classic... which really isn't fair.

it took u2 5 albums to make the joshua tree. if everyone just dismissed them because october wasn't as good as boy, what would we all be doing to waste hours upon hours of time?

Alas, the music industry has changed so much since then, that bands aren't given the chance to develop now that they once were. It's all about instant gratification.

I listened to it twice through yesterday, but in all fairness, I wasn't giving it my complete attention, it was sort of on as background noise as I was doing other things. One thing I know, it didn't instantly grab me from the first listen, the way that Hot Fuss did. This one will be a grower.

I wonder if they're gonna tour with a horn section.

Whatever the idiom and whomever they're borrowing from, the Killers know only one kind of song. Everything is constructed to epic dimensions, almost according to physical laws of acceleration and propulsion. Sam's Town is basically Hot Fuss with bigger, spanglier guitars and an all-round lack of restraint. String and brass arrangements build until there's no top to go over. "This River Is Wild," the most hysterical track, charges beyond Springsteen, through Queen, and smack into Meat Loaf. It's a full-fledged, more-is-more rock opera, with a jaunty piano "Enterlude" and "Exitlude."

This is from a Spin review but seems to be the general gist that I've read from reviews and people treat it as a negative. I think it's what make this album great!

VintagePunk said:

I wonder if they're gonna tour with a horn section.

I believe they had horns with them on SNL, so that might lean towards a yes, however, I have not seen them on this tour yet, perhaps someone who has, or who has seen video from it can give a more definent answer

Flying FuManchu said:

On this thread about the leak. I posted 2 links for 2 b-sides for the new album which I think are quality songs. Gonna buy the album this week... People say it's not as good as Hot Fuss,... IMO it's just as good but hey it's just my opinion...

I think the bonus tracks are better than the majority of the regular album myself.

I am really really enjoying this right now. And I feel guilty about that for some reason.

phanan said:

I think the bonus tracks are better than the majority of the regular album myself.

That's what I thought too, but I dunno, I just went on a road trip (sort of) this past weekend and listened to it (with bonus tracks) and came to appreciate it even more. A song like Sam's Town I was skipping when I first listened to the album but now I think it's one of the best tracks on the album (for example)... I thought Bones was cheesey as heck, but with the fact that they got Tim Burton to direct the video for it shows me it was intentional "camp." People and reviewers seem to be focusing on the whole Bruce Springsteen "influence" which I see a slight bit mixed in with every other influence such as Queen, U2, their usual dance rock influences, etc... heck maybe all in one song... I liked Hot Fuss a lot but couldn't say I was a huge fan of this band but after this 2nd album they have me hooked...

I think it is a love it or hate it album though so :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom