MERGED ----> The Killers - Sam's Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
redkat said:
The title of this thread says Sept 28th. The lady at virgin swears it's not out yet.

who do I believe :sad:

now i'm not sure i even want it

I believe Sept 28th is worldwide and Oct 3rd is US.

Who sings on 'Uncle Johnny?'

I've listened to the few of these tracks that I've been able to download, and I think that one of the big problems is that every song sounds so vastly different from the next---I can't imagine this album having much of an album feel to it at all.

well... it's not as bad as rolling stone makes it out to be, but it's certainly not as good as hot fuss... when you were young is the best song on the album IMO, like has already been stated.

it's not awful, but i think people are thinking it's awful because it's not on par with the first album, thus making it a bit of a disapointment.

I'm digging the new album but its different from Hot Fuss... all the elements that the Killers use are there but its different IMO, but its been a while since I listened to Hot Fuss. Actually "When You Were Young" is most reminiscent of stuff from Hot Fuss but then the other songs go elsewhere. I like the bonus tracks such as Where the White Boys Dance and All the Pretty Face... wonder if the US version will have those songs.

I think besides When You Were Young, the standout tracks to me so far in no particular order:

(1) Reasons Unknown
(2) Read My Mind
(3) Exitlude
(4) The List
(5) This River Wild

I think the rest such as Sam's Town, Bling, and Bones are decent with Bling having a great finish/ 2 minutes, IMO.

The bonus tracks are really good IMO.

Maybe people might not like this album b/c it can sound overwrought as opposed to "cute with a wink."

I think people have in mind "concept" and maybe there is a concept, but I dunno if it flows well.

My favorite tracks:
When You Were Young
Sam's Town
Read My Mind
Bling
For Reasons Unknown
This River Is Wild

Not a bad album overall, but certainly far from spectacular.

Enterlude and Exitlude are retarded. :tsk:

Read my Mind is my favorite overall I think...yes above when you were young

Ok, before I said that I would like this album no matter what, and that still holds true, but to be fair

There are SOME problems I have with it...the lyrics in Bones are good for the most part, except I think he says it's only natural at parts in the song that are really, well, unnatural....just doesn't fit well.

I find that the album does flow really well, I just wish Uncle Johnny wasn't on it honestly. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel right ot me for some reason...but I've never liked that song ( I heard it on something before, I think they performed it llive on the hot fuss tour)

Other than that, it is only their second album, and if I remember correctly a certain other group out there didn't make such a fantastic second album either

bono_212 said:

Other than that, it is only their second album, and if I remember correctly a certain other group out there didn't make such a fantastic second album either
Yeah, but October doesn't try to be anything more than a collection of mediocre songs.

October isn't a moon-shot, overwrought, faux-concept 'let's write an album about America and Highways and Makin' It(TM) album. If The Killers didn't try to drape the shitty songs in the pretence of some big picture of Americana than I could just skip them and be done with it and enjoy the four or five good cuts on the record.

Lila64 said:
I haven't followed this thread, but just saw this on the schedule. Sorry if it's already been posted...

http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html#ED

Jimmy Kimmel next week:

Tu 10/3: Dax Shepard, Jordana Brewster, the Killers
We 10/4: Dane Cook, Emilie de Ravin, the Killers
Th 10/5: Jessica Simpson, Carlos Mencia, the Killers

The Killers are on Jimmy Kimmel 3 times next week?:hmm: :confused:

Well, I listened tot it 2 times now, and I think it's overall better than Hot Fuss.

I like the Enterlude/Exitlude thing, and first I thought it was a concept album.

These are my favourite tracks now:
- Sam's town
- Bones
- When you were young
- Exitlude

Going to listen to it now for the 3rd time!

I like it!

Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah, but October doesn't try to be anything more than a collection of mediocre songs.

October isn't a moon-shot, overwrought, faux-concept 'let's write an album about America and Highways and Makin' It(TM) album. If The Killers didn't try to drape the shitty songs in the pretence of some big picture of Americana than I could just skip them and be done with it and enjoy the four or five good cuts on the record.

Actually at the time October came out it very much was NOT a case of "here's a bunch of mediocre songs" , and yes I was old enough to buy it first day while I was in college, it was a lot more than that, it was an outpouring of spirituality and growing pains. It had delusions of grandeur about it just as Sam's town does. I haven't heard enough of Sam's town to draw any conclusions about it yet, but if it's pivotal in their development as October was to U2, they'll be in good shape.

Best album in 20 years my arse.

Sams town is alright and when you were young is great but the rest of the album i dont like too much.

vaz02 said:
Best album in 20 years my arse.

Sams town is alright and when you were young is great but the rest of the album i dont like too much.

Which 20 ?

:wink:

Canadiens1160 said:

Dude, you're way off.

October is very much an overblown, quasi-epic album without the songs to back it up. Listen to the religious posturing, the pointless instrumental, the soul bearing, and all with a song as terrible as Is That All to wrap it up.

The fact is that the Killers are very much trying this in their own way. And I don't even care that you don't like it, but at the very least you could desribe October correctly. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom