MERGED ----> The Killers - Sam's Town - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:57 PM
This song is def. growing on me!

It reminds me of something/someone but I can't put my finger on it (and no not Springsteen!)

Just waiting for Zoomerang96 to come in and tell us how much he hates them
You know I luv ya!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:57 PM
did anyone get pre-sale tickets?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Hot Fuss was 2/5 of a good album and 3/5 of shit. I loved a few of those songs, accordingly, and was at least interested in seeing what Sam's Town, as they for some reason call it, would sound like.

And then I heard "When You Were Young." And then I laughed my fucking ass off. And THEN I saw the music video...and it wasn't funny, anymore. It was just embarrassing. The last time I laughed/cringed so hard was upon first hearing a certain U2 abortion/song they call "A Man and a Woman."

I pity anybody who enjoys this song. I really do. I'll still steal the album when it comes out to give it a chance, because one song doesn't make or break an LP...but I think if anybody's expecting a non-disaster at this point, he/she either doesn't know anything about or simply doesn't care about music.

P.S. You went to Manchester and found out that you weren't Morrissey, Mr. Flowers...so why not go to Basildon and find out that you're not fucking Dave Gahan, either? And that your band isn't 1989-era DM? Fucking douchebag.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by discothequeLP
did anyone get pre-sale tickets?
I did!! For the Toronto club show!!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Huh? What? They're coming to Toronto? When? A club seat?

Ooh, off to Ticketmaster I go!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
The Killers are among the acts slated to play the Virgin Festival in Baltimore on September 23. Others include the Who, RHCP, Keane, the Raconteurs, and Gnarls Barkley. Tickets go on sale Saturday.

More info here: http://www.virginfest.com/
Well, maybe not Keane
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, I just signed up to the radio station, got my password but I guess it's too late - the window must have closed earlier. *sigh*

Oh well, here's hoping I score a couple on Friday!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
Well, I just signed up to the radio station, got my password but I guess it's too late - the window must have closed earlier. *sigh*

Oh well, here's hoping I score a couple on Friday!
Good luck! Let me know if you do.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Well, maybe not Keane

according to their website as of today.. The V Festival date was not postponed. Looks like they are still on to play (at least I hope so )! Woohoo! I am going to that show!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
Hot Fuss was 2/5 of a good album and 3/5 of shit. I loved a few of those songs, accordingly, and was at least interested in seeing what Sam's Town, as they for some reason call it, would sound like.

And then I heard "When You Were Young." And then I laughed my fucking ass off. And THEN I saw the music video...and it wasn't funny, anymore. It was just embarrassing. The last time I laughed/cringed so hard was upon first hearing a certain U2 abortion/song they call "A Man and a Woman."

I pity anybody who enjoys this song. I really do. I'll still steal the album when it comes out to give it a chance, because one song doesn't make or break an LP...but I think if anybody's expecting a non-disaster at this point, he/she either doesn't know anything about or simply doesn't care about music.

P.S. You went to Manchester and found out that you weren't Morrissey, Mr. Flowers...so why not go to Basildon and find out that you're not fucking Dave Gahan, either? And that your band isn't 1989-era DM? Fucking douchebag.

Some unresolved anger issues, perhaps?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

Old 08-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

Some unresolved anger issues, perhaps?

110% solved, child. I am angry about how wretchedly, shockingly, and terrifically worthless the new single from America's favorite second-wave nu-wavers, The Killers, is. Listening to the song and/or watching the video are/is like getting kicked in the nuts and then, just when you've finally recovered and regained your composure, getting kicked in the nuts again.

I still like "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine," though, and like I made clear...I will give the album a whirl because it's allegedly the best album ever to be released, or whatever. Prove yourself right, Mr. Gahan. Prove yourself right. I'd love to hear something better than Born to Run, but come on...this is crazier than Bono-speak, kids.

Anyway, I'll let them show me what they got. I just think it's kinda strange to come out of the gates with one of the worst commercially released singles of the last twenty years in order to promote one of the same time period's best, you know? Very, very, very curious, this move...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

I think most people take the "best album eva" statements that bands make with a grain of salt. What matters to me is that they think it's their best album ever, because quite frankly, if they don't feel it's the best they could have done, it's not worth my time and money. I don't want to hear it. Who wants to listen to something a band proclaims to be "a mediocre piece of shit that we put very little effort into?" Not me.

As for your assessment of the first single, admittedly, to me, it's not their best, but it's not awful, either. That's only my opinion though. Some people seem to forget about the subjectivity of music, and that what appeals to one might not be another's cup of tea, but that that doesn't necessarily make either of them right or wrong, outside of their own minds.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Exactly, Nobodys gonna spend however long putting together a new record and say this is the biggest piece of crap in the history of music (even if it really is)...they are going to promote it and says its the best we've ever done...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:09 AM   #75
New Yorker

Bono's evil influence over these bands. Let's face it. I believe a lot of bands who are fans of U2 or toured under them have started spouting the whole "best" such and such tag line over the years it's probably due to Bono's advice or influence considering Bono does the same. It's pretty funny actually.

Tags
sam's town, the killers