MERGED ----> The Killers - Sam's Town - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Speaking for myself, I certainly wasn't looking for an all-time classic, but a little more consistency would have been nice.

I don't think people are dismissing The Killers - I'm certainly not. I just think this latest album is not up to the level of Hot Fuss. Doesn't mean they won't ever release anything good ever again...

Old 10-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #197
New Yorker

I'll be honest, and say this album didn't really grab me when I first listened to it b/c I was probably expecting Hot Fuss or something like When You Were Young, (but maybe it's my state of mind) but after the whole repeated listens, I fully appreciate the effort now. Hell, When You Were Young probably even sounds a little out of place on this album in retrospect IMO.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #198
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77
And, by the way, I love the AllMusic review. Hilarious. It is basically a "it's so bad, it's good" review.
I know.... freakin' hillarious... Like talk about a ridiculous review... It's like he wants to say he likes it but b/c its an in thing to bag The Killers or maybe its uncool to like The Killers he sort of wants to leave an out or vice versa... but definitely a bipolar review...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #199
Blue Crack Distributor

where the white boys dance is a very bowie/lou reed clusterfuck of a song

i dig it
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #200
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
after a few more listenes... it's really not bad. it's actually pretty good. i just think a lot of us were hoping for the killers to go from hot fuss into an all time classic... which really isn't fair.

it took u2 5 albums to make the joshua tree. if everyone just dismissed them because october wasn't as good as boy, what would we all be doing to waste hours upon hours of time?

Alas, the music industry has changed so much since then, that bands aren't given the chance to develop now that they once were. It's all about instant gratification.

I listened to it twice through yesterday, but in all fairness, I wasn't giving it my complete attention, it was sort of on as background noise as I was doing other things. One thing I know, it didn't instantly grab me from the first listen, the way that Hot Fuss did. This one will be a grower.

I wonder if they're gonna tour with a horn section.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #201
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
where the white boys dance is a very bowie/lou reed clusterfuck of a song

i dig it

Definitely derivative but fun and I love the bass line.... All the Pretty Faces is great... its like U2 mixed with lyrics about cheating on their girlfriends/ wives...
Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #202
New Yorker

Quote:
Whatever the idiom and whomever they're borrowing from, the Killers know only one kind of song. Everything is constructed to epic dimensions, almost according to physical laws of acceleration and propulsion. Sam's Town is basically Hot Fuss with bigger, spanglier guitars and an all-round lack of restraint. String and brass arrangements build until there's no top to go over. "This River Is Wild," the most hysterical track, charges beyond Springsteen, through Queen, and smack into Meat Loaf. It's a full-fledged, more-is-more rock opera, with a jaunty piano "Enterlude" and "Exitlude."
This is from a Spin review but seems to be the general gist that I've read from reviews and people treat it as a negative. I think it's what make this album great!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #203
The Male

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I'm predicting a 68 Metacritic score for the album...not bad, but I don't see it impressing the critics much.
Man, did I call it or what?

http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...llers/samstown
Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #204
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

I wonder if they're gonna tour with a horn section.

I believe they had horns with them on SNL, so that might lean towards a yes, however, I have not seen them on this tour yet, perhaps someone who has, or who has seen video from it can give a more definent answer
Old 10-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's out today!

How did you all hear it beforehand? Internet?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #206
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
It's out today!

How did you all hear it beforehand? Internet?
On this thread about the leak. I posted 2 links for 2 b-sides for the new album which I think are quality songs. Gonna buy the album this week... People say it's not as good as Hot Fuss,... IMO it's just as good but hey it's just my opinion...
Old 10-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #207
Refugee

Local Time: 06:43 PM
I think it's the most disappointing release of the year. I was really looking forward to it because I liked Hot Fuss, but I think this album is a mess IMHO.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

On this thread about the leak. I posted 2 links for 2 b-sides for the new album which I think are quality songs. Gonna buy the album this week... People say it's not as good as Hot Fuss,... IMO it's just as good but hey it's just my opinion...
I think the bonus tracks are better than the majority of the regular album myself.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #209
Refugee

Local Time: 07:43 PM
I am really really enjoying this right now. And I feel guilty about that for some reason.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #210
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I think the bonus tracks are better than the majority of the regular album myself.
That's what I thought too, but I dunno, I just went on a road trip (sort of) this past weekend and listened to it (with bonus tracks) and came to appreciate it even more. A song like Sam's Town I was skipping when I first listened to the album but now I think it's one of the best tracks on the album (for example)... I thought Bones was cheesey as heck, but with the fact that they got Tim Burton to direct the video for it shows me it was intentional "camp." People and reviewers seem to be focusing on the whole Bruce Springsteen "influence" which I see a slight bit mixed in with every other influence such as Queen, U2, their usual dance rock influences, etc... heck maybe all in one song... I liked Hot Fuss a lot but couldn't say I was a huge fan of this band but after this 2nd album they have me hooked...

I think it is a love it or hate it album though so

Tags
sam's town, the killers