MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My new (UPDATED) predictions for the remainder of the tournament:

A1 Portugal vs B2 England: 2-1 England
B1 France vs A2 Greece: 3-0 France
C1 Sweden vs D2 Netherlands: 2-1 Sweden (3-1 on PK's)
D1 Czech Republic vs C2 Denmark: 1-0 Czech Republic

QFW1 England vs QFW3 Sweden: 3-2 England (SG)
QFW2 France vs QFW4 Czech Republic: 2-0 France

SFW1 England vs SFW2 France: 2-1 England

Bet on it. :wink:

england wont make the final, no way.
i'd be surprised if czech republic didnt win the whole thing.

thank god that german teams out!! have to be worst team in competition

bayernfc said:
:sad: :sad: Excellent Effort ....... They missed Rooney too much though!!..... and Beckham taking penalties is just wrong!!

Yep...you could see as soon as Rooney went off the players looked a bit discouraged. :down: I think Beckham's penalty miss was partly due to the weird penalty spot, you could see a huge chunk of grass fly up as he kicked the ball. :|

***totally pissed off!!!*** That Ref was useless! It so was a goal!

and whats happened to Beckham??? He's lost the excellent skill he once had...

celia said:
***totally pissed off!!!*** That Ref was useless! It so was a goal!

What should have been a goal?
*thought the referee was quite alright*

Oh, do you mean that foul against the Portugese goalie (Ricardo?) so Vassey could score? That was a foul. Sorry.

Exciting game!

Congrats to the Portuguese! :up:

Its being talked about here a lot (even though we are probably biased!) The Ref is not very popular in England right now. Even Ian Wright was getting really annoyed discussing the match afterwards - which made me laugh!

Anyway England always go out like this - they have to drag it out...to penalties...would rather they just lost after 90mins...save some time

souLnation2002 said:
Damn. I'm disappointed. Beckham should have gotten that penalty in. :(:down:

yeah, aw well, had a feeling he wouldn't though... he has'nt been the skillful player he used to be during these last couple of matches...

lol roll on world cup...

The ref made a good call. Buddy in front of the net definitely had his arm in the goalie's face. It was no goal for sure.

I am sad. :(

I caught the match after the Postiga (POSTIGA!!!???) goal and I think when Ashley Cole is the best player on your side something's wrong there.

That said it was a tremendous fightback, all credit to England. And yes, Terry did foul Ricardo for the 'goal' by Campbell.

What a goal from Rui Costa though. I've never really rated him after the Greece game but he's going to give Scolari one heck of a headache now in his selection policies for the semi-final!

Oh, and penalty shootouts scare the hell out of me. Even as a neutral I felt all nervous and stuff.

DaveC said:
The ref made a good call. Buddy in front of the net definitely had his arm in the goalie's face. It was no goal for sure.

Exactly!! I got so sick of hearing the commentators moaning about the referee and how the goal shouldn't have been disallowed and England should have won and blah blah blah blah blah. I know I was watching English commentary, but is a little impartiality too much to expect? :D

England seemed to make the mistake many teams (Italy, The Netherlands) have made, which is to defend a lead. They should just have kept the pressure on and maybe tried to score a second goal then Portugal would have been out. But they kept on bringing defenders in and when the Portugese team scored they had to play the rest of the game including extra time with a defending team. They screwed it up themselves. Tough break with Rooney though (no pun intended).

DrTeeth said:
England seemed to make the mistake many teams (Italy, The Netherlands) have made, which is to defend a lead. They should just have kept the pressure on and maybe tried to score a second goal then Portugal would have been out. But they kept on bringing defenders in and when the Portugese team scored they had to play the rest of the game including extra time with a defending team. They screwed it up themselves. Tough break with Rooney though (no pun intended).

The BBC seems to think alike. :)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2004/england/3838421.stm

Caution proves England's undoing

But when the dust settles and the hard luck stories are all told, England must accept they were knocked out of Euro 2004 by a better, and more positive, side.

England suffered a devastating blow when Everton's Wayne Rooney limped off before the half-hour, and if they had added to Michael Owen's early goal, surely the host nation's party would have ended early.

But after the break Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari outwitted Eriksson for a second time, following on from Brazil's World Cup quarter-final win in 2002, with bold substitutions and an emphasis on attack that ultimately broke England.

Scolari's approach was met by caution with Eriksson who, seeing England were being pushed back further towards their own goal, sacrificed Paul Scholes for Phil Neville after only 55 minutes.

It signalled an England retreat that was eventually punished by, of all people, Spurs flop Helder Postiga.

Portugal were fluid, inventive and pacy, while England were trapped and reduced to firing long balls towards Owen and Darius Vassell.

England spent long spells of the second half without the ball, pressurised until it was inevitable they would be hit with a knockout blow.

Eriksson was cautious whereas Scolari was cavalier, and maybe this was a case of fortune favouring the brave.

C ya!

Marty

DaveC said:

I am sad. :(

Can't agree there I'm afraid. The ball was loose in the area and Terry & Campbell had every right to jump for it - the Portugese goalie flapped at it like a big girl and was rescued by the ref. Football is not a non-contact sport and the sooner refs accept it the better! I'm sure Collina would have let that goal stand! The ref was a 'homer' - so much for Swiss neutrality!

Peter Seddon said:

Can't agree there I'm afraid. The ball was loose in the area and Terry & Campbell had every right to jump for it - the Portugese goalie flapped at it like a big girl and was rescued by the ref. Football is not a non-contact sport and the sooner refs accept it the better! I'm sure Collina would have let that goal stand! The ref was a 'homer' - so much for Swiss neutrality!

*agrees with Peter... *

Peter Seddon said:

Terry did not seem to really jump for it, but more to hinder the goalie. Since it was in the 8-meter area that means the goalie is 'protected'. So the referee had every right to decide it was a foul. Collina might even have agreed. :wink:

To call a referee a 'homer' just for that one decision is laughable.

C ya!

Marty

Come on, there was one guy jumping for the ball and the other English guy was obviously there to block the goalie. All this happened in the small part of the penalty area (I don't know its name in English) where you're not allowed to attack the goalkeeper. Now if the English team hadn't been playing like 11 big girls after Owen's goal than they would have had more chances like that. It was bad tactics and that's why they lost.

Back
Top Bottom