MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I said it right at the beginning of this thread - Italian soccer is boring, unimaginative and they never play to win, but not to lose. And again, same old story, score a goal and pull all 10 men back the other day.

Italy deserved to lose. When will they see that their style might have worked in the 60s but no longer?

I bet that, even in case Robben gets injured, Advocaat won't dare to take him to the side. He'll have to play with or without broken bones. :lol:

I really paid the price for sleeping, eh?

If there's one guy to blame for the Italian defeat, blame Christian Vieri.

Any top-class striker should have put away at least a few of the chances he had against Sweden.

But he didn't, and they're out.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:lmao:

Now we get to hear the whining from the Azzurri about "it was a conspiracy!"

I've got 10 bucks in on the Italian side demanding UEFA launch a formal investigation.

And 10 more on Vieri being a whiney bitch. Oh wait...I already won that one. :wink:

Any talk of conspiracy is complete rubbish.

I'm sorry, the Italians have some of the best players in the world but if they're not up to standard they shouldn't be blaming others. Sweden and Denmark are professional team, and, more importantly, they are playing international football for their countries, and to suggest they have shaken hands over the result merely to oust Italy is an insult to both nations. It's a slur among the Scandinavians' professionalism and sporting integrity, and if I was a Dane or a Swede I'd be very offended.

Comiserations to valentina and babyman, but I have to be very honest and say I have absolutely no sympathy for the Italian team, and while I hope they do better by the time the World Cup rolls around (as well as the next Euros in Austria and Switzerland), this whole 'blame game' and conspiracy rubbish needs to stop.

BTW, it's a pity you cannot understand Dutch, as it's quite funny to hear Cruyff talk about football. At times it all seems so simple and at times it's incomprehensible. :huh:
Oh, and he never learned to speak 'proper' Dutch, so you get all these amazing 'Cruyff-phrases' ("Every disadvantage have its advantage" and things like that)

:)

Marty

sounds like Kevin Keegan and the English language!

one of KK's many gems:

'The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful.'

babyman said:

no, italy isn't placing any extra camera at all, it was only a joke that gattuso said, if you remember, the ones of denmark put an extra camera on totti to immortalize him while falling in one of the endless provocations that brought him to spit foolishly and full of ingenuosness on the danish player, that camera followed him for the whole 90 minutes....if we'll have to go out, we'll do it with honour, without trying any tricks to save us :wink:

No, it wasn't a trick: RAI (our national TV) DID send extra cameras there...
Anyqay I don't believe Denmark and Sweden planned to send Italy out.
Maybe we deserved it... Anyway now it's over!

Let's hope next time we'll have a greater coach and players with their heads (and feet) not on holidays

As regards Vieri... Well, I'm still his fan. I really disliked the way he was attacked by the media -- and even if it's declarations were exaggerated, I think I know how he felt...

Damn journalists: they use to speak too much when they just should report facts and not invent them.

Sorry for Italy that's out...

And Martjin: I'm so sorry for your team, too!!!

LoL!

Well, when the Germans don't beat the Czech Republic and the Dutch beat Latvia, then we will go through. If German wins, it's all over though... :no:

We played against Denmark in qualifications, they really are good!
Who can you see in the finals?
I say England vs. Denmark or Czech Republic

Popmartijn said:
Well, when the Germans don't beat the Czech Republic and the Dutch beat Latvia, then we will go through. If German wins, it's all over though... :no:

Oh, I missed that part... sorry!

Can I say I really HATE the way points are given?

The success/unsuccess depends too much on other teams' results!!!

yertle-the-turtle said:
anyone notice England-Switzerland was amazingly special because both countries' flags are absolute reversals of each other?

Well, that's not entirely correct. Although both flags are red and white and have a cross, they aren't exact reversals of each other.

England:
gb-eng.gif

Switzerland:
ch.gif

A better opponent would have been Denmark:
dk.gif

Although that one also isn't an exact reversal...

i think its bad for the tournament as a whole to see both spain and italy out.
i mean think about it, who would you prefer to watch in the final, spain v italy or denmark v greece?

taking nothing away from greece and denmark, i know they are there on merit, but i just think its bad for the neutral supporter.

Considering the attractiveness of the game, I'd more likely watch Denmark - Greece than boring defense - boring defense (can't distinguish Italy and Spain by their game).

Which is yet another reason that Germany should not reach the quarter finals.

so, the nightmare is over, italy went deserved out, we played a horrible football........i guess, how it seems, that there are some here who are happy that italy lost, but it's ok, no problem, personally i can accept to be defeated and even to suffer derison eventually :wink: .....but no one is trying to get excuses, the coach and the players are conscious that they sucked, and the rest of all the italian fans know it too, there's nothing to hide, we didn't play football, it was the biggest shame in the whole italian football history!!......but please, no one in italy is talking about a conspiracy, we take our responsibilities, but if you come to me and say that denmark-sweden was a FAIR GAME, then i'm the major of rome! everyone usually(not in this thread) is ready to point the italians as whiners, cunnings, stonemartens, calculating men etc etc, but why is it so difficult to admit a so clear and solar agreement between the teams of denmark and sweden? how can it be that the danish keeper caused first a penalty for sweden and then, in the last minute (!), rejected a very easy ball just on the foot of a swedish player standing there all alone, with all the danish defenders watching at him so helpessly? why did the danish forwards shot for innumerable times over the clouds in front of the swedish keeper when they were still 2-1? why all the newspapers in denmark and sweden were praising a 2-2 final result joking around with italy? i'm sure of one thing, if italy would have done what the danish and swedish did last night, there would have been comments like, "here they are, the italians, everytime the same italians, the masters of the tricks!" come on, it wasn't a clear game at all, just admit it, by now we are OUT, WE DESERVED TO GO OUT, BECAUSE ITALY OFFENDED FOOTBALL, all the players must shame on them, they earn so much money and they're neither able to kick a ball, but don't say that denmark-sweden was a fair game, because i'd piss myself laughing

I haven't seen anything in the Denmark - Sweden game that I haven't seen in other games. In terms of mistakes, penalties and cock-ups it was a match like any other. I have seen other games in the past that were set-up, and it was all too obvious there, 90 minutes there looked just like the Denmark - Sweden game in the last few minutes. If this was orchestrated than it's they should get an Oscar for it.

We did it.

WE DID IT!!! :hyper:

And more importantly, the Czechs did it too! :up:

We've reached the quarter finals and Germany is out!

:dance:

:drunk:

Back
Top Bottom