MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I curse myself for telling myself to sleep.

In the end only saw Nedved's screamer against the crossbar and Smicer (isn't he the guy who can't hit a barn door with Liverpool) score. :mad:

I need to see the replay of it, judging from the shot stats alone. I think it must have been close to fifty cumulative.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Smicer (isn't he the guy who can't hit a barn door with Liverpool) score. :mad:

Indeed. He couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo when playing for Liverpool, but stick him in an international side and look what happens. :madspit:

Popmartijn said:
WHAT A DRAMATIC EVENING!!!

:mad:
:scream:
:angry:
:censored:
:sad:
:banghead:
:rant:
:|

Dick Advocaat is a coach without a dick. What a loser. :madspit:

:(

well, what do you want to say to your coach, martijn, it was only referee's fault with the absurd red card to heitinga!! it ruined holland's game, you deserve to go ahead, you're a superteam!! anyway, the czechs play the best football in the moment, they're strong and they can win the title

babyman said:
well, what do you want to say to your coach, martijn, it was only referee's fault with the absurd red card to heitinga!! it ruined holland's game, you deserve to go ahead, you're a superteam!! anyway, the czechs play the best football in the moment, they're strong and they can win the title

Everyone is saying: "Why did you substitute Robben?" He was one of the best men on the field and the coach takes him out. Not only that, but he substitutes with a mid-field player, not another forward. So suddenly, the Dutch team can put less pressure on the Czech defense. :angry:

As for the referee, he was very weak indeed. I think we should have gotten a penalty in the first half (if we'd scored it is of course a second :wink: ) and in general he made strange decisions. Allowing something one moment and forbidding it the next.

:tsk:

Having seen the match, I'm going to have to agree about Robben. Advocaat made the same mistake that Trapattoni made - taking off his main attacking threats for more defensive players, and it cost both sides.

And yes the Heitinga red was pretty harsh, but as per the penalty claims, van Nistelrooy looked offside for the second goal so I guess it evens itself out.

One guy wrote in during the analysis show today - 'Holland: Good soldiers, bad General'. That said take nothing away from the Czechs who played very well and I guess just deserved to win it on the night.

it so stupid that teams filled with champions like italy or holland, must tremble because of their trainer's nonsense...look what mr trapattoni did against sweden, he took all the forwards away, left only vieri who's clearly out of condition, and sweden did the goal after being dominated for 75-80 minutes!! pirlo, our best midfield player said in the interview: "we found ourselves suddenly without any point of reference, i didn't know to whom give the ball, you know, our trainer thought it was better to put defensive players instead of our forwards, this is his point of view"....and so mr trapattoni ruined the italian football, what a shame!!!

yertle-the-turtle said:
And yes the Heitinga red was pretty harsh, but as per the penalty claims, van Nistelrooy looked offside for the second goal so I guess it evens itself out.

Although Van Nistelrooy did come back from an offside position when the ball was passed to Robben, I don't think it mattered for the goal. I mean, I think the new FIFA rules regarding offside do not penalise this behaviour anymore. This is the actual FIFA statement:
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball is touched or played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by interfering with play or interfering with an opponent or by gaining an advantage by being in that position

At the moment of the pass to Robben, Van Nistelrooy was not in active play. You may debate whether or not he had an advantage by being in that position, but since he was walking back and was almost level to the Czech players when he turned and went to the goal, I don't think you can argue that he had an advantage. And with the pass from Robben to him he was not offside.

There were a few other moments when they said a Dutch player was offside when he wasn't though...

C ya!

Marty

Yep, I think Advocaat screwed it up by switching to a defensive play when he should have kept the pressure on. The Dutch would certainly have made more goals. Those bad tactics, no talent-ass clown of a referee, stupid mistakes (Cocu :no: ) and bad luck cost us the game.

Hey Martijn, do you think Advocaat's head will roll if we don't make it to the quarter final?

I think his head will roll, even if we make the quarter final. He's out after Euro 2004.

I just read that some fans in Portugal have collected money to buy Dick a ticket to the Netherlands. They said they got the money in no time. It's for a Tuesday flight to Brussel (OK, that's not the Netherlands, but it is homeward bound :wink: ) and they plan to deliver it to him by roomservice. He only has to take his passport with him. :)

Whatever you may think of him or the support he has among the Dutch fans, you have to admit that it's a hilarious gesture. :lol:

I think you may find Inaki Saez being kicked out before poor old Dick.

Really puts those misses by Raul against Greece in perspective, doesn't it?

I find it amazing he leaves the second top scorer (and top local scorer) in what is considered to be one of the best leagues at home. Miguel Angel Mista, you've been vindicated.

The Greeks go throught!

Well, that should give Athens some more financial problems. :)
(it is rumoured that the Greek players would get a 2 million euro bonus when they reached the quarter finals...)

Well both Holland goals were offside, Van Nistelrooy was behind by 20 feet! The first goal was offside as well...

I don't much like the Czech Republic but I like Holland less...

I missed both games today (damn work) but it's good that England got through anyways.

Just for the record here is my favorite list of teams in this tournament...so there's no confusion:

1. England
2. France
3. Greece
4. Spain
5. Sweden
6. Russia
7. Czech Republic
8. Latvia
9. Switzerland
10. Bulgaria
11. Croatia
12. Portugal
13. Spain
14. Denmark
15. Germany
16. Italy (bunch of whiners don't deserve to go on)

If Ireland was in, they'd be #1 by a long shot. I love the Irish football team.

Today is Sweden-Denmark and Italy-Bulgaria.

Rumors have been that the Swedes and Danes are colluding to draw 2-2 so that Italy would need to win by at least 5 to move on. I hope so.

Fuck team Italy. Bunch of whining little bitches. Especially Vieri. :wink:

the Dutch, on their day, are the greatest football team in the world

the problem is their day never seems to come.

oh and Vieri handled the media excellently. they're going to hate him for it, but it was nice seeing all those tabloid reporters get scolded.

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Well both Holland goals were offside, Van Nistelrooy was behind by 20 feet! The first goal was offside as well...

I don't much like the Czech Republic but I like Holland less...

I missed both games today (damn work) but it's good that England got through anyways.

Just for the record here is my favorite list of teams in this tournament...so there's no confusion:

1. England
2. France
3. Greece
4. Spain
5. Sweden
6. Russia
7. Czech Republic
8. Latvia
9. Switzerland
10. Bulgaria
11. Croatia
12. Portugal
13. Spain
14. Denmark
15. Germany
16. Italy (bunch of whiners don't deserve to go on)

If Ireland was in, they'd be #1 by a long shot. I love the Irish football team.

Today is Sweden-Denmark and Italy-Bulgaria.

Rumors have been that the Swedes and Danes are colluding to draw 2-2 so that Italy would need to win by at least 5 to move on. I hope so.

Fuck team Italy. Bunch of whining little bitches. Especially Vieri. :wink:

4th or 13th ...make up ur mind :wink:

I find it funny that Italy is placing extra cameras for Denmark vs. Sweden game tonight because they are scared they are going to draw and force them *Italy* out of the tournament. :hmm:

Justified said:
I find it funny that Italy is placing extra cameras for Denmark vs. Sweden game tonight because they are scared they are going to draw and force them *Italy* out of the tournament. :hmm:

I hope they won't draw like that, I hate these fucking deals! :angry:

Justified said:

no, italy isn't placing any extra camera at all, it was only a joke that gattuso said, if you remember, the ones of denmark put an extra camera on totti to immortalize him while falling in one of the endless provocations that brought him to spit foolishly and full of ingenuosness on the danish player, that camera followed him for the whole 90 minutes....if we'll have to go out, we'll do it with honour, without trying any tricks to save us :wink:

Back
Top Bottom