MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for the today matches, watch up latvia, don't undevalue them too much, i think the czech team will win but not more than 1-0 or
2-1, for the evening match germany- holland, well, i was born in germany and i'm hard a stuttgart fan, kevin kuranyi will be the only forward and he plays for stuttgart.....so, i say 1-0 for germany....kuranyi makes it!! :wink: though in the dutch team plays van der meyde, and i'm a hard inter milan fan...:wink: and probably edgar davids will play for inter too next year....so, maybe 1-1, 2-2....oh, f.ck, i don't know which team i must support!! :wink:

babyman said:
after these first games it is clear that france and spain are the best teams, and england is quite good too, though they've lost in a such a stupid way against france!! but zizou is zizou, nothing to say!:drool: :drool: ......chapter italy: every year the same fucked up shit, the players care just for their hairlines and nothing else, next game against sweden must be a revolution, otherwise we can already pack our suitcases!

Sob! I won't be in Duomo square this Friday -- better avoiding public shows!!!

Anyway, Italians had quite nice HAIRDOs (Vieri & Zambrotta :drool: )

Me too, I'd like to change our coach!!!

MissMaCo said:
Nothing to do with sport but I see bono_man and Hewson are not premium members and they have their little quote at the end of their messages : I want my little quote too ! How ???

I think it's because they either had those signatures before premium membership was introduce, or else they made their signature while they were premium members. I think people who aren't premium members can't edit their signature, but if they had a signature already then it just stays the same.

You'll probably get a better answer if you ask in the forum help forum. :)

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I think it's because they either had those signatures before premium membership was introduce, or else they made their signature while they were premium members. I think people who aren't premium members can't edit their signature, but if they had a signature already then it just stays the same.

You'll probably get a better answer if you ask in the forum help forum. :)

thanks a lot for your help ! :hug:

Marie

I used to be a German supporter a few years ago.... but now as all the reporters have said, with all their talents retired, i wouldn't be surprised if they lost this game seeing as how their success in world cup 2002 was a lucky chance.

I'm thinking 1-0 Netherlands.

damn Germans, threw me another curveball.

they really stifled the Dutch attack though. Ballack was excellent, as was Schweinsteiger ("can there be a more German name?" - commentator :laugh:) when he came on.

that said

1) that early yellow by Kuranyi was hilarious.
2) it was a lucky goal for the Germans but they played pretty well afterwards.
3) van Nistelrooy's goal has to be the first one of his I've actually cheered.
4) it's also so far the goal of the tournament, just edging out the Larsson diving header yesterday. haven't seen the Czech-Latvia match though.

Last edited:
what an awful match again
the day when the best thing you can say about the dutch team is that at least they made an effort is a sad day

it was a good thing that the german didn't have the balls to continue the way they played the first half

meh

Indeed, 1-1 was a fair result. Neither side deserved to win (although, I am Dutch and the final 15 minutes were good (or at least better than Germany's final 15 minutes)).

BTW, I didn't think Schweinsteiger was that good, Ballack was though. As for the Dutchies...
:hmm:

Should say enough.

C ya!

Marty (thinks that in the second half the team was more balanced than in the first one)

tonight's matches:
Russia v. Portugal
Greece v. Spain

the Greeks have had their fun, and the Spaniards will want revenge for the qualifying defeat. 3-0 Spain. Fernando Torres to get at least one.

Portugal can't slip up against the Russians, but I think they might. 2-1 win to the home team at best, but a draw may be on the cards. Depends on who they put out really. Personally, I'd play Deco and Ronaldo ahead of Simao and Rui Costa, and I'd drop Fernando Couto, but I don't pick the team.

Popmartijn said:
Indeed, 1-1 was a fair result.

sort of agree..ballack played excellently

popmartijn - almost 1-0 for germany..am happy for the dutch people though - they managed a draw..however the germans were slightly better..dutch needs to improve if they are going to reach the semi-finals or finals. if it were a hockey match, i would have put my bets on dutch hockey team..football..germans has a slight edge..actually not much to chose from

yertle - where is the 4-1 :drool:

I told you

those Germans threw me a curve ball

not to worry

super Maris Zervkovskis, whose last name is impossible to spell, will provide a hat-trick and Marians Pahars will score two as the Latvians stage the biggest upset in history and whack Germany 5-1

well if Romania and England can do it...:wink:

Dutch Heineken horn hats confiscated

PORTO, June 15 (Reuters) - Dutch fans returned bare-headed to their hotels after their Heineken horn hats were confiscated during the Euro 2004 game with Germany on Tuesday.

'They confiscated our 'roeptoeters',' said one Oranje fan as he left the Dragao stadium following the 1-1 draw.

The orange, red, white and blue triangular hats, with Heineken printed down the side and a handle, double as loud-hailers as demonstrated by fans who sneaked theirs under their seats.

'Our Heineken hats were taken away. I think it was something to do with Carlsberg,' said Hessel Roorda, an IT consultant from Leusden.

Carlsberg is one of the official sponsors of Euro 2004.

'I think it would be because of the sponsorship. If the staff bring a bottle of water in, they have to take the label off if it's not one of the sponsors',' said one match assistant.

anitram said:

Have you ever been told that Italians use A LOT of imagination?
Anyway, it's just a stupid way to avoid saying we played so bad!!!

A question for Popmartjin: why Holland's got an orange shirt? (Maybe I'm the only one on earth who doesn't know it....)

Germany vs Holland was quite awful... And I'm still wondering how Germany managed to do the goal...

Our monarchy descends from the House of Orange (William of Orange who died during the 80 Year War (1568-1648) in 1584). Hence, the 'national colour' is orange, as is our football shirt. It's a bit more original than red, white or blue. :)

BTW, Valentina (or any other Italian), do you know why the Italians play in a blue shirt? :sexywink:

*just found an answer on the Net*

Popmartijn said:
BTW, Valentina (or any other Italian), do you know why the Italians play in a blue shirt? :sexywink:

*just found an answer on the Net*

I've been told blue was the colour of "Savoia" family (Italy was a monarchy some times ago).

However, I'm not completely sure of this

My interpretation: the blue was chosen bacuase Italy's surrounded by a VERY blue sea!!
(This is quite romantic, but I like it!)

This is the paragraph I found (it explains both the Italian and Dutch shirts in one line. :))

We know that Italy wear blue as it's the colour of the House of Savoia, who ruled from 1861 to 1946. A royal connection, as Gerard Sugrue points out, also explains why the Netherlands wear orange (their royals have been, on and off, from the house of Orange-Nassau since the 17th century).

So you were correct! :applaud:

I was watching some interviews yesterday.

Q: Who do you think will win Euro 2004?
Jorg Stiel (Swiss goalie): Eh, how do you say Letland in English? What? No, Letland! Letland! Lat-via? Ah, you translate it! :laugh:

babyman said:
after these first games it is clear that france and spain are the best teams, and england is quite good too, though they've lost in a such a stupid way against france!! but zizou is zizou, nothing to say!......chapter italy: every year the same ... the players care just for their hairlines and nothing else, next game against sweden must be a revolution, otherwise we can already pack our suitcases!
I guess you are right :wink: ... I'm right here, where everything's happening - Porto, Portugal. It?s too hot here in Portugal (an average of 88? F / 32? C). Some coaches have been complaining about the weather conditions (hope they will survive!). On the other hand, those who came in vacations, mostly British, some Germans and Dutch, are having a great time! Well, everybody?s having a great time, really. We were surprised to see French and British celebrating after the game, although England lost it! The Dutch are always in a great mood, drinking lots of beer and having lots of fun. Portuguese have great sympathy for Italians! The public in general has been great, and everybody?s having fun here. We (Portugal) have eliminated Russia last night, after a disastrous beginning with Greece (our Brazilian coach is finally listening to Portuguese public opinion, and if we don?t go further it certainly is because he has been ignoring it)! Germany vs. Netherlands was the best game played to the moment. England has been disappointing, Italy must do better, Netherlands and Germany are great teams, France is ? Zidane (zizou)!, Spain is always dangerous, and watch out for Denmark, Czech Rep. and Greece. Today we?re having England vs Switzerland at 17:00 (London/Lisbon time), Croatia v France at 19:45.

Back
Top Bottom