MERGED ----> the Euro 2004 thread + Say a little pray for France + England 1 France 2 - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2004, 04:17 AM   #376
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Ah, the Dutch. Still hoping that there's a final they CAN reach (and win).

Old 07-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #377
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Also, the fact that greece won euro 2004 against all the odds, is one of the most significant sporting moments in decades.
don't know about that
Denmark proved back in 1992 that you don't need the best players to win the Euro Cup and Germany has proven over & over again that you don't need the best attack to win matches

Greece limmited themselves to what their good at
I still think if teams such as Czech Republic and Portugal had done the same and focussed more on their attack they could have won
it seemed they both played Greece with an element of fear in their game though

France lacked form
England and Holland lacked quality

Greece deserved to win

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #378
The Fly

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome

I still think if teams such as Czech Republic and Portugal had done the same and focussed more on their attack they could have won
it seemed they both played Greece with an element of fear in their game though

France lacked form
England and Holland lacked quality

Greece deserved to win
I agree with everything you just wrote. Actually, that's the current opinion around here. Everything's is well because it finished well.
I never thought I would feel this, and I have to share it with you. If I hadn't be here, I wouldn't believe what has just happened in Portuguese during this tree weeks. It was magic and I'm really satisfied to have been a part of it. I don't have worlds to describe all the union, all the friendship, all the joy, etc, that people shared all over the country, along the streets on this hot Portuguese spring / summer. Ive never seen anything like this. Only the images can show a little bit of this magic.

[IMG] ttp://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mysticgirl/psnphotos/Euro%20Fans/fa90e700.jpg[/IMG] [IMG] http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...Greek_fans.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #379
War Child

DO YOU THINK ATTACKS VS ITALY WILL NEVER GET TO AN END?

cONGRATULATIONS TP GREECE, EVEN IF I DIDN'T LIKE THEIR BANS!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #380
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:01 AM
thing about denmarks victory in 1992, is that they didnt really deserve to be in the championship as they were only invited after yugoslavia got banned from the tournament, incidentally the danish coach was busy redecorating his house when he recieved the invite.

Also, back then it was only an 8 team tournament, and the normally strong Soviet Union was in the midst of dissolving.

Greece defeated a chain of traditionally powerful nations , france, czech, portugal twice, and were strong qualifiers for the tournament.

Denmarks achievement is significant, but piss weak compared with greece's.

White dove, you are being paranoid, lol, i meant no oppositional feelings towards you.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #381
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by valentina
DO YOU THINK ATTACKS VS ITALY WILL NEVER GET TO AN END?
Only when the Italian players stop bitching about every little thing, stop blaming everyone else for their problems, and finally learn to accept that some things are their own fault.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 AM   #382
War Child

I think we've don a lot of mistakes. Our players are not that good as they were supposed to and things like that.

Anyway, I just don't like attacks!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:35 AM   #383
you are what you is

Quote:
thing about denmarks victory in 1992, is that they didnt really deserve to be in the championship as they were only invited after yugoslavia got banned from the tournament, incidentally the danish coach was busy redecorating his house when he recieved the invite.

Also, back then it was only an 8 team tournament, and the normally strong Soviet Union was in the midst of dissolving.
Denmark defeated The Netherlands and Germany to win that title who at that time were definitely among the best teams of the world
(I have no idea who they defeated in the poule games to make it that far)

and the fact that they won it without any real preperation only adds to what an achievement it was IMO

Greece accomplishment is more impressing though
but it doesn't really tower over what Denmark did in 1992
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-09-2004, 03:46 AM   #384
The Fly

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:

White dove, you are being paranoid, lol, i meant no oppositional feelings towards you.

Thanks for letting me know.
And no I'm not (yet), though I enjoy pretending it...
Although I have strong opinions about almost everything, I can live peacefully with people who hare different ones. I'm a nice, happy girl, really.

Old 07-10-2004, 07:04 AM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:01 AM
best moment of the tournament for me was just the pure fact that greece won the whole tournament....although ballacks goal and the czech supremity in the groups stages were both unforgettable moments.

from a neutral perspective, ( although i hate england national team, ) it was great to see the underdog win, but sad to see the golden generation of portugese players miss out yet again, such a great group of players, inc. figo, costa....have failed to deliver after their success at youth level 15 years ago....even though their obvious class meat they deserved success