MERGED ----> The biggest trade since Babe Ruth + Why? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2003, 08:20 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:03 PM
The biggest trade since Babe Ruth

All I have to say is WOWZERS to the deal that NY Newsday is saying is near completion... only thing they're working out is the money, so it still could fall through, but it's unlikel. We've all heard the first part of the deal, but I'm absolutely shocked at the second part... and I'm guessing so are the Dodgers.

Quote:

By Jon Heyman and Ken Davidoff
Staff Writers

December 17, 2003

The Red Sox moved a gigantic step closer to finishing the long-awaited trade for superstar Alex Rodriguez when they agreed yesterday to send shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for outfielder Magglio Ordoņez, contingent upon completion of the Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez megadeal, National League sources told Newsday yesterday.

The stunning agreement with Chicago potentially opens the Red Sox's shortstop position for Rodriguez, the 2003 American League MVP, and sets the table for Boston's greatest offseason ever. The Red Sox's probable double blockbuster would be a major coup for the historic and ill-fated franchise as it tries to break its 85-year championship jinx and the Yankees' stranglehold on the intense AL East.

The Red Sox, already a big winter winner after the acquisition of Curt Schilling, have had their sights set on Rodriguez for weeks as they aim to remake their lineup and clubhouse. Ordoņez, who hit .317 with 29 homers and 99 RBIs last season, is a surprise bonus for Boston. Garciaparra hit .301 with 28 homers and 105 RBIs.

Baseball people believe the Rodriguez-Ramirez swap is inevitable now, and Rodriguez met yesterday in New York with Red Sox GM Theo Epstein and union lawyer Gene Orza, whose presence indicates Rodriguez might consider deferring some monies or reworking a part of his $252-million Rangers contract. Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, said he planned to take a late flight to New York last night to join the talks.

"They're going to get this deal done," said one person involved in the talks. Speaking of Rodriguez and Garciaparra, that person said, "Neither one can go back to their club. This is too far down the road."

Rodriguez is scheduled to appear this week on the Today Show, whose host, Katie Couric, is the girlfriend of Tom Werner, a Red Sox owner.

All sides were working feverishly late last night in hopes of wrapping up things soon. There was talk that commissioner Bud Selig, who's granted special permission for Red Sox owner John Henry to meet with Rodriguez, might set a quick deadline to resolve the matter.

There was word Rangers owner Tom Hicks still was hoping to get Boston to include cash in the deal. "He's trying to get the Red Sox to pay for his mistake. We all told him the $252-million contract was a mistake three years ago," one baseball executive said. Rodriguez has $179 million and seven years left on his deal. Ramirez has $97.5 million and five years remaining on his.

The Garciaparra-Ordoņez deal makes sense for all parties involved but shocked the Dodgers, who were hoping to land either player to fortify their offense. Word of the deal also was said to have stunned Garciaparra, a California resident hoping to go to the Dodgers or Angels. Garciaparra does not have a no-trade clause and can do nothing to prevent the deal.

Boston will send reliever Scott Williamson along with Garciaparra to Chicago and the White Sox will send Boston two pitching prospects, provided the Rodriguez-Ramirez deal is completed. Boston probably will send some young pitchers to Texas along with Ramirez to sweeten the deal.

The White Sox had been shopping Ordoņez, whom Chicago believed it would have no chance to re-sign when he becomes a free agent after this year.

Ordoņez is to make $12 million in 2004, nearly the same salary as Garciaparra. White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf has an excellent relationship with Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, and may have hopes he can lock up Garciaparra on a long-term deal.

Boston's Henry is conscious of public relations, and the smooth, smiling A-Rod fits better than Garciaparra, who's had a combative relationship with some of Boston's tough press. Rodriguez hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBIs for Texas in 2003.

Boston had been seeking to find a taker for Ramirez, who annoyed them by calling in sick during an important late-season series with the Yankees. Ramirez hit .325 with 37 homers and 104 RBIs in 2003.
if this deal does in fact go through, and boston STILL can't win the world series, then we will forever know that the curse does in fact exist.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Has it ever occured to anyone that if there really is a curse, all you really need to do is say

"I uncurse thee, Boston Red Sox?"

Old 12-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Refugee

WOW!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:23 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

i think springsteen tried that this fall
Old 12-17-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:03 PM
This trade represents everything that is wrong with baseball
Old 12-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

interesting... i'd like to know how... they're trading superstar for superstar... or are you just being sarcastic and trying to start a brew ha ha?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

he's just sad that he is a reds fan

cheer up, you still got griffey!!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

i'll trade ya roger cedeno if you'd like
Old 12-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I like Nomar..

Is Danny Ainge making the trades for the Red Sox too? Not that Alex Rodriguez isn't a good player, but Nomar is a good guy and part of the heart of that team. That doesn't matter though I guess

As far as Ramirez, good riddance
Old 12-17-2003, 12:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

nomahhh's no a-rod

ordonez puts up the same numbers as nomaaaah and is a pretty good defensive outfielder

a-rod is a better defensive shortstop than nomahhh, a better rbi guy than manny, a good guy in the club house and with the press, the chicks dig him, and he's a threat to surpass hang aaron, barry bonds and... gasp... babe ruth in all time homeruns(perhaps why the red sox want him so bad reverse the curse baby)

if i'm theo epstein i pull off this deal in a heartbeat... they better themselves in every single way
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

except it will ruin baseball for good
Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 07:03 PM

Are you positive this is true? Because I haven't seen this news anywhere else. I would assume it would be "everywhere." I just want to make sure this is true?????

-A Dodger Fan
Old 12-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

of course... 'cause it's a completely even swap of salary and will give a team that hasn't won in 85 years in their best chance yet to win the world series... huh?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

it's also on espn.com, and i think it's in a few boston and chicago papers as well, but don't quote me on that... just heard it on the radio...

Quote:
espn.com

Reports circulated Wednesday that the Red Sox have conditionally agreed to trade shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the White Sox for Magglio Ordonez.

Newsday cited baseball sources for its report about the deal.
However, Newsday reported that the deal would be completed only if the Red Sox are able to acquire Alex Rodriguez from the Rangers for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

There were additional reports Wednesday that claimed the Red Sox would include pitchers Scott Williamson and Byung-Hyun Kim in a Garciaparra trade to Chicago, and still others said the White Sox, as a way to move salary, would then deal Garciaparra to the Dodgers.

Garciaparra does not have a no-trade clause, so Boston has the right to trade him to any team. Anaheim also has been mentioned as a possible Garciaparra trade destination.

Dodgers manager Jim Tracy would not confirm his team was interested in Garciaparra except to say, "We're looking for somebody to fit in the middle of our order."

"Nomar Garciaparra ... is a name that would fit in the middle of somebody's order," Tracy said at the winter meetings on Sunday. "That's what we're looking for."

The Red Sox have had arguably the busiest offseason, acquiring right-hander Curt Schilling from the Diamondbacks and signing former Athletics closer Keith Foulke. Adding Rodriguez and Ordonez would significantly alter a lineup that scored the most runs in the majors last season. The Red Sox were painfully close to reaching the World Series, but lost to the Yankees in an 11-inning Game 7 of the AL Championship Series.

Money has been the biggest obstacle in the Boston-Texas Rodriguez trade talks. Union lawyer Gene Orza was to present the Red Sox and Rodriguez with a restructured deal that is amenable to the Players' Association. If both parties sign off on the proposal, Rodriguez likely will be traded to Boston.

"The issue continues to be the essential difference between restructuring and reducing," Orza told The Boston Globe on Tuesday night. "We don't authorize reducing, we authorize restructuring. There has to be some added value to the player."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:58 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Normal

Okay, I am the only Cub fan living amonst white sox fans in my household. Even though I prefer the Cubs, what the White Sox are doing to thier team is just wrong. Yeah, okay so they got Nomar temporarily, but word is that they are trying to ship him along with Paul Konerko to the Dodgers. With Mags gone as well the Sox will have NOONE left but good for nothing Frank Thomas. What the is going on on the South Side?!