MERGED ----> The biggest trade since Babe Ruth + Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all the money Texas is gonna pay towards the remainder of A(inanimate carbon)Rod's contract, it will work out to them having paid an average of $46.7Million per season for the 3 seasons he played for them, all 3 being last place finishes...now that's smart business...they'd have been better off keeping GWB as GM.

I haven't seen the Red Sox books. Maybe $2million per year for 7-8 years was beyond them w/ their current team. one thing we know, is the Yankees are never limited by $.

It never ends!

The rich in talent might be getting richer still ...

Free-agent pitcher Greg Maddux will sign with the New York Yankees sometime later this week, according to a report on New York's WABC-TV.

The Bergen Record, a New Jersey newspaper, reported that the Yankees have offered Maddux a deal and that the pitching is mulling it over but has yet to agree.

"We are not involved with Greg Maddux," Cashman said at the time.

Maddux turned down a New York offer in 1992 before signing with the Atlanta Braves.

The news from what the Record called "a Major League Baseball source" came despite reports Sunday that the Chicago Cubs were nearing a deal with the perennial All-Star right-hander.

The Cubs reportedly raised their initial offer of two years at $10 million (combined) to more like the $14 million to $15 million range.

There is no word yet on how much the Yankees offered.

Maddux is said to have rejected a multiyear offer from the San Francisco Giants but was said by some to be considering the Los Angeles Dodgers as well as the Cubs. Others said he already had pushed away feelers by the Dodgers and the St. Louis Cardinals.

However, all that wooing appears to have been to no avail.

Forget Saddam-I want Steinbrenner captured and put in a hole

:sad:

I hope Mr A Rod has the worst year of his career :madspit: Then he can retire to become a full time SI model :D

the latest Nike ad for Sox fans:

12792.jpg

Maybe on opening day A-"Inanimate Carbon" Rod and Derek "Michael's Twin" Jeter will collide going for a pop up and both be out for season...yeah, that's the ticket.

This does not really help them that much. I think it was a good trade, that does not significantly improve them. Soriano was putting up good nu,bers.

MrBrau1 said:
I haven't seen the Red Sox books. Maybe $2million per year for 7-8 years was beyond them w/ their current team. one thing we know, is the Yankees are never limited by $.

now that's one of the biggest loads of crap i'ver heard in a long time... they came up with 600 million dollars to buy the damn team, you're telling me they couldn't come up with 2 million more per year to finalize the a-rod deal? if they knew the yankees would get involved, they would have had no problem paying the 2 million. but they thought they were the only players, and that a few months into the season they could revisit the deal, with the rangers more likely to give up on the extra 2 million when they were in last place aaaagain.

theo epstein and larry luchino have no one to blame but themselves for not getting this deal done. just like the mets have no one to blame for not signing a-rod when he was a free agent 4 years ago, or vlad guerrero this off season.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
Soriano was putting up good nu,bers.
Except that in the playoffs, Soriano was figured out...throw it outside, he'll chase it and whiff (to the tune of .133 in ALCS). I think the Yanks were wise to deal him, I think his best years are already behind him.

that's a bold statement to make about a guy who's hit 77 dingers, 201 rbis, and stolen 76 bases over the last 2 years... and who hasn't even turned 27 yet... yes he looked horrific in the post-season, but to say they've "figured out" a 26 year old kid is kinda jumping the gun a bit. there's no reason to believe that his best days are over. he just needs to make adjustments to his approach.

and anyone who could actually get to see him on a semi-regular basis knows that the strikeout thing is nothing new... he's averaging like 140 strikeouts over that same 2 year period. he swings at anything and everything... always has.

looks like the cubs have signed maddux, i guess they're trying to buy a championship :scratch:

Last edited:
anyone see the Late Late show with Kilbourn last night?

He had a little thing were he was "interviewing a Yankee and Red Sox fan about the trade/signing.....the Yankee "fan" saying "this is great for baseball because when NY wins, the league wins...blah blah blah" and then they switched to a shot of the Red Sox fan....but it was a guy that hung himself! :up: :lol:

This is like the 4th day in a row the Post has had A-Rod on the front and back covers. It's getting a little nuts. NYC should relax and remove A-rod's penis from the city's collective mouth.

BOSTON (AP) - Red Sox owner John Henry now believes a salary cap could be good for baseball after watching the rival Yankees trade for Alex Rodriguez - a deal his own franchise could not complete.

Henry said in an e-mail response to reporters early Wednesday morning that he is changing his mind on whether the sport needs a salary cap ``to deal with a team that has gone so insanely far beyond the resources of all the other teams.''

The Yankees' payroll is about $186 million after they acquired Rodriguez from the Texas Rangers earlier this week in exchange for Alfonso Soriano and a minor leaguer to be named.

But the number would come down by about $5 million if third baseman Aaron Boone is released. Boston is expected to be second at about $125 million.

``One thing is certain the status quo will not be preserved,'' Henry wrote.

``There must be a way to cap what a team can spend without hurting player compensation ... without taking away from the players what they have rightfully earned in the past through negotiation and in creating tremendous value. There is a simple mechanism that could right a system woefully out of whack.''

Henry's comments come after his team failed in its bid to land the reigning American League MVP.

The Red Sox tried to trade Manny Ramirez, the second highest-paid player in baseball, for Rodriguez this winter. But talks fell apart because the two sides could not agree on how to divide the remaining $179 million on Rodriguez's contract.

The Yankees were able to absorb Rodriguez's salary without dumping a major star.

``Baseball doesn't have an answer for the Yankees,'' Henry said. ``Revenue sharing can only accomplish so much. At some point it becomes confiscation. It has not and it will not solve what is a very obvious problem.''

oh i see... when boston's looking to add a-rod, it's called improving their team... when the yankees do it, it's called killing baseball. i think i understand....

now let me try to further understand this... when tom hicks outbids the second highest bidder by $125 million, it's george steinbrenner's fault. when the milwaukee brewers hold their city hostage in order to get a new stadium built, then refuse to put a quality product on the field and trade all their players away right before they hit their prime, it's george steinbrenner's fault. when the montreal expos trade away star after star in order for the owner to make more money, it's george steinbrenner's fault. when the mets spend 17 million a year on mo vaughn, it's george steinbrenner's fault. when manny ramirez sits out a game due to the "flu" but is seen later that night in a bar with a yankee relief pitcher, it's george steinbrenner's fault. when pedro martinez sits out a key late season series against the yankees with a minor injury, which could have led to a slight swing in the standings and game 7 of the alcs being at fenway... it's george steinbrenner's fault.

oh and when the florida marlins are able to go out and get pudge rodriguez, leading to a world series championship, with the revenue sharing money they recieved thanks to the yankees going over the luxary tax threshold... that's also george steinbrenner's fault.

Last edited:
don't get me wrong... i don't believe steinbrenner going after everyone and anyone is good for the game of baseball. i just can't find fault in a man who does absolutely everything he can to put a winning team on the field for his fans. even the biggest steinbrenner haters out there would love to have an owner like him... a guy who wants to win at all costs. and if you say you wouldn't, you're flat out lying.

baseball needs something done to the system. the system doesn't work. and may i remind all the steinhaters out there once again of the fact that every single owner in baseball agreed to the current collective bargening agreement except for one... george steinbrenner, who claimed the agreement would do absolutely nothing to help the competitive ballance of baseball because it did nothing to make the small market owners take the dollars they get from revenue sharing and invest it in their on the field product. it was proven last year that the system could work... the marlins took that money and turned it into pudge. the royals took the money this year and turned it into juan gonzalez. the brewers and pirates put the money in their backpocket.

george steinbrenner is not the richest owner in baseball. fred wilpon of the mets has more personal wealth then steinbrenner. tom hicks has more personal wealth. jerry collangelo, jerry reinsdorf, peter angelos all have greater personal wealth than george steinbrenner. steinbrenner isn't bill gates. he isn't paul allen or warren buffet. but he adheres to a very simple concept... invest the money to put a good product on the field, the people will buy tickets, buy concessions, buy merchandise, the advertisers and tv people will want to be involved in your product, and the whole shebang will more than pay for it's self... especially in a city like new york.

Fine, it's good for baseball. 1/2 of my family and friends have stopped watching or following it, because of what it's become. I'm very close to ignoring the sport myself, but not just yet. I need to be a little older to be able to flush the sport away. Good bye pro baseball, I'm going to watch a little league game.

have fun... i wonder if people stopped watching durring the ruth-gehrig days because the yankees were too dominating :shrug:

oh and hewson... enrique and i send our appologies...
2962_21_1.jpg

and last year's ratings in the playoffs were as high as they've been in 20 years... so much for no one watching

Last edited:
Nope. My Gramps was a Yankee fan who saw Ruth and Gehrig play often, he loved telling me about them. He flushed it after the last strike because he felt it was all about $. He was a Yankee fan as well.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
that's a bold statement to make about a guy who's hit 77 dingers, 201 rbis, and stolen 76 bases over the last 2 years... and who hasn't even turned 27 yet... yes he looked horrific in the post-season, but to say they've "figured out" a 26 year old kid is kinda jumping the gun a bit.
Of course we learned last night in true Danny Almonte fashion that Soriano is actually 28 yrs old, not 26.:eyebrow:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

baseball needs something done to the system. the system doesn't work.

You won't see any change because the system is actually working quite well--for the owners. If 3/4 of the league's teams were losing money as the owners claim, you'd figure they would demand a change, ie a salary cap, and be more than willing to fight through a lock-out to get it. The other 29 owners' inactivity on this issue is all the proof you need that they are doing quite well.

Clark W. Griswold said:

You won't see any change because the system is actually working quite well--for the owners. If 3/4 of the league's teams were losing money as the owners claim, you'd figure they would demand a change, ie a salary cap, and be more than willing to fight through a lock-out to get it. The other 29 owners' inactivity on this issue is all the proof you need that they are doing quite well.

finally some sanity... you are absolutely right. the small market teams are taking the revenue sharing money that they're getting and sticking it in their backpocket, as opposed to spending the money on their players, with the exception of the marlins last year and the royals this year.

if spending money to bring in as many stars as you possiably can wins championships... explain the mets, the ragners with a-rod, the dodgers, the white sox, the red sox, the new york rangers, the knicks, the mavericks, the trailblazers, the redskins, etc. etc. etc. how come they don't win championships? is it because maybe it's not about spending money, rather it's about spending the money you do have wisley? hmmm... :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom