MERGED - The Beatles - Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome, it's never too late :wink:

Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry need to be put on LSD :drool:

You can see some video from the show here: http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/love

The only bad thing about this clip is the last frame.

I want this show on DVD :scream:

Last edited:
heard 20 minutes from Love this morning
the rework seems heavily inspired by Brian Wilson's Smile

Wilson being a more brilliant composer of course

Article in the L.A. Times today:

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-ca-beatles19nov19,0,6247608.story

Martin's "Love" Fest

If you want to read it and can't access it, lemme know. I can copy & paste, but it's rather long.

26475224.jpg

angelordevil go get it. for your own sake. now. now. now. you have no idea what you're missing.

Canadiens1160 said:
Beatles fanatics, what song is the bass that is spliced into the end of Hey Jude from?

Comes in around 3:10.

it is also used in the original version, but it's very faint. you'll have to turn the volume up really loud to hear it.

Sorry for all the yelling, but ...

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY WHEN I CAN BUY THIS AND REVEL IN ITS SUPREME AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I've been listening to this over and over again, and I gotta tell you...it's pretty much worthless.

Don't get me wrong, now--The Beatles sit untouched at the top of my list of favorite and best musical acts of all time. They ain't goin' no place any time soon, either. This whole thing just feels freakishly pointless to me, though. Frankly, I was more intrigued by The Grey Album, which was in itself a pretty hit-or-(mostly)-miss affair, than I am by this.

Never in my life did I think I would say that George Martin has zero talent, yet here we are...the poor bastard just reached to far and, in the process, wound up not doing enough. These songs are basically unchanged from their original incarnations, particularly in structural terms. My lack of enthusiasm could easily be attributed to my own relative ignorance of all things this album, though--I mean, I came in expecting a mind-bending mash-up, but I suppose I was probably barking up the wrong tree. This is safe as safe can be, and aimed directly at the middle-aged, espresso-sipping types who read or write nationally syndicated music columns in non-music publications. The whole thing feels to me like a big-ass missed opportunity to have worked outside of the box; what could and indeed should have been adventurous and brave is staid, bland, and embarrassingly predictable.

At any rate, I still love these songs and all, but I couldn't possibly justify shelling out any money for an album I could easily make on a Mac with my own CDs, if given a weekend.

Great music, great songs, great memories therein...but a bland-as-poo album. If nothing else, though, it'll probably get a few kids to give the band a whirl, and I got nothin' against that. Also, anything which keeps that blasted, wallet-raping U218 thing off the top of the charts can't be all that bad...

There's an article on the album on cnn.com:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/20/music.thebeatles.ap/index.html

......Giles Martin said he came away impressed with the Beatles' abilities as a unit. Even when cracks were appearing in their personal relationships at the end, you could still hear the chemistry and quality in the music, he said.

Periodically, he would invite the two Beatles and two widows to hear what he had done.

"They didn't have any disagreements," he said. "They really didn't. Yoko was concerned about the quality of John's voice on 'Strawberry Fields Forever' because it was a demo. All they care about is whether it's good or bad."

During a playback of "Come Together," McCartney leaned over to Starr and said, "I remember that. We were really good on that day."

Starr said hearing the finished product was powerful for him and that "I even heard things I'd forgotten we'd recorded."

When journalists were recently invited into a New York studio to hear Martin play some of the songs, a security guard stood at the entrance to make sure no CDs or recordings snuck out. Beatles received the same treatment, Martin said. They weren't allowed copies of the project in progress, Martin said. ...................

I've listened to it, and some parts are very intriguing, but something tells me it won't hold up to repeat listenings for me because the original recordings are just :drool:

What does stick out for me is the sound quality, and just reaffirms that the entire Beatles catalogue will absolutely blow us away once the remasters come out, something I've been dying for since the Yellow Submarine songtrack was released.

Bought the CD/DVD set at Best Buy for $16. :drool:
I just listened to it too. I need to listen to it properly with headphones though. The album opener is just :love: Really gorgeous harmonizing.
And the mashups? :drool: x 100. Drive My Car ->The Word ->What You're Doing is amazing. All of them are.

The album artwork makes me really want to see the show.

U2Man said:

:uhoh:

That link you sent me had a message saying "File removed for copyright infringement" or something like that! :scream:

But looking at all these (mostly) positive reviews, I just might pick it up at the store!

Zootlesque said:

But looking at all these (mostly) positive reviews, I just might pick it up at the store!

:mad: What you should have done in the first place, Mr. Beatlesque. :madwife:
I want to watch the DVD content already. :sad:

I only found out what this was 2 days ago :reject:

I read about it in the Sunday Times who were saying it was basically a complete waste of time! :ohmy: They seemed to be of the opinion that it's really only mere mixed up versions of the songs you all know except that we can hear John's vocal coming to the forefront or something to that effect!

Are they talking shit or what? I read through this thread and everyone seems to think it's great! :wink:

I wondered what your comments on the critic's point of view is?

It's a gimmick cd, but it sounds fantastic!

It makes me wish they would remaster the entire Beatles catalog.
C'mon already!!:mad:

Does the cd/dvd version have a real dvd with video content? Or is the content a dvd audio version of the cd in 5.1 surround sound??

U2Man said:

it is also used in the original version, but it's very faint. you'll have to turn the volume up really loud to hear it.

here's the last few seconds of the original hey jude. you can hear that bass here too:

http://www.send space.com/file/w9bvxk

I'm a little underwhelmed. :(

I mean, it sounds AMAZING and makes me want to wail to the heavens: why aren't the Beatles CDs being remastered yet???

I think I was spoiled by hearing Strawberry Fields Forever first. That's the best thing on the album, I think. The rest of it is good, but I was expecting more of what they did with that song: the use of demo versions, the additional snippets of songs at the end.

I know there's some of that here and there on the disc, but I thought the whole thing was going to be like that.

Oh well. It sounds amazing, anyway. I'm not sorry I bought it.

I am, however, sorry I sprang for the deluxe edition. I thought the DVD was a DVD of the stage show. A DVD of 5.1 audio does me no good on my rinky-dink TV and DVD player.

Oh well.

Listening to it for the first time... on Something right now. Wow, sounds beautiful so far. The transitions are very nice. :love:

I thought Something and Revolution sounded the best amongst the tracks that didn't have major tweaking done to them. :up:

Mr. Kite/I Want You/Helter Skelter

Strawberry Fields Forever

Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows

:combust:

corianderstem said:
I thought Something and Revolution sounded the best amongst the tracks that didn't have major tweaking done to them. :up:

To be fair, though, none of the songs had truly "major" tweaking done to them. They sound fuller and now I want more than ever for the catalogue to be remastered, but better sound and the fleeting string section switcheroos aren't anything to get too excited about. I feel like people who think this album is the second coming don't listen to any mash-ups, as a very general, imprecise "rule."

By the way, it's time to stop the presses, kids--Stephen Thomas Erlewine is threatening to be relevant, again!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:yfjm7i6ng77r~T1

That's easily the most spot-on review I've read, so far. Not too vitriolic, but certainly not as laughably apologetic as most people in this thread and pretty much all the other critics whose feelings I've read on the matter. Love, hate, or feel casual indifference towards the album, if you must...but you gotta recognize a solid piece of music journalism when it comes up.

Yes, even if it's from Erlewine. :wink:

Also, as corianderstem kinda alluded to, good sound does not a good album make. If that were the case, then Rings Around the World wouldn't be such a piece of shit. If somebody remastered Metal Machine Music, it would still be unlistenable, regardless of the clarity of the din, or whatever.

If you shout... said:

To be fair, though, none of the songs had truly "major" tweaking done to them. They sound fuller and now I want more than ever for the catalogue to be remastered, but better sound and the fleeting string section switcheroos aren't anything to get too excited about. I feel like people who think this album is the second coming don't listen to any mash-ups, as a very general, imprecise "rule."
Meh, I look at this as a continuous listening experience. If you just pick the odd track or three it doesn't seem that overwhelming.

As far as mash-ups, there are a lot of good ones out there but they're still mostly tacky, and the novelty is gone after one listen. There's a lot of care in the re-arrangements on Love, thankfully and some of the mixes seem so natural (Drive My Car for example). It's more like a big live concert.

Back
Top Bottom