MERGED-->Sufjan Stevens + Illinoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't enjoyed/loved an album this much since Funeral came out last year. Illinois is easily my favorite album of the year. I don't know if anyone can top it. :bow:

Man, this whole wait over the artwork thing really seems like it's going to help build up the hype around this album. The suspense is killing me, all the good reviews but nothing to stack it up to. I will be buying this whenever the crap it actually gets released.

i dl'ed a torrent a few days ago and have been listening to it ever since. this album is fantastic. epic and beautiful all at the same time.

i will definitely be picking this up. :up:

u2popmofo said:
Man, this whole wait over the artwork thing really seems like it's going to help build up the hype around this album. The suspense is killing me, all the good reviews but nothing to stack it up to. I will be buying this whenever the crap it actually gets released.

Release WASN'T delayed...they are going to sell what they had printed, and are currently working on re-printing.

I got my copy today (I HATE buyong stuff at Borders, but my "city" is a little too small for good record stores, and I have yet to find a worthy independent).

zonelistener said:

Release WASN'T delayed...they are going to sell what they had printed, and are currently working on re-printing.

I got my copy today (I HATE buyong stuff at Borders, but my "city" is a little too small for good record stores, and I have yet to find a worthy independent).

Hmm, all the stores here seemed to not receive any. My local indedpendent store even told me the same "delay" story, and the guy working the counter was upset because he wanted it too. Seems to be all sorts of different stories around as to what's going on. In some places it was recalled, some stores probably just didnt do it or get the recall info. Who knows.

zonelistener said:

I HATE buyong stuff at Borders, but my "city" is a little too small for good record stores

Ah Zonemeister, you have helped me greatly. I thought to myself, "Hey, I didnt check Borders....actually, I NEVER check Borders!" So I figured I'd go over there because I wasnt doing much of anything else. What do you know, 2 copies of the album sitting right there, Superman and all! :wink:

Needless to say, I now own a copy.

Don't you think that this idea of composing an album for every state is kind of crazy? I mean, aside from the sheer length of time it would take to complete this task, how would he get to know each state well enough to capture it's essence in an album?

Calluna said:
Don't you think that this idea of composing an album for every state is kind of crazy? I mean, aside from the sheer length of time it would take to complete this task, how would he get to know each state well enough to capture it's essence in an album?

Yes...but do you really think there is an appetite (or the ability to write/create) an album for each state? Illinoise has 22 songs. I cannot imagine even trying with that with every state.

Unless Idaho is nothing more than an four song EP.

And Delaware is a B-side to the single from Maryland.

zonelistener said:

Unless Idaho is nothing more than an four song EP.

3 of the songs would probably be about potatoes and the other about Napoleon Dynamite or Yellowstone.

I cant wait. :wink:

Well I'm listening to it for the first time on yalls good words...

I realized it was absolutely fantastic as soon as Decatur came on :drool:

hey kids! get your greasy hands on that superman cover before it's gone!

In other Sufjan news, the dispute over the image of Superman on the cover of Illinois has been resolved, according to a post on label Asthmatic Kitty's website. The LP-release ceasing and desisting, for the record, was on the part of Asthmatic Kitty, and not the forcible doing of DC Comics. The first pressing will be allowed to be sold with the image, and subsequent pressings will have the image removed. Shit, we gotta get our hands on that first pressing!

Now, as he takes to the road to promote the album — complete with his backing band, the Illinoisemakers — he's already got his mind on a few other states. After all, he's still got 48 of them to go.

"I've been working on songs for Oregon and Rhode Island and New Jersey lately, just based on information I've read about their histories," Stevens laughs. "And I'm solicited all the time by people who are proud of where they're from. Texas seems to be a favorite. Everyone's always asking, 'What are you going to do about Texas?' Like it's a big problem or something. People are like, 'What are you going to do, Sufjan? Someone's got to do something about Texas.' Like I'm suddenly responsible for that whole new empire down there."

I really dont want to tell you where I got that information......

I hate you MTV

lmjhitman said:
hey kids! get your greasy hands on that superman cover before it's gone

I bought a copy at B&N today that had Superman on it.

Hooray for me.

learn2kneel said:
I'm seeing him at the first of his two scheduled Illinois stops. Champaign!!!

That should be GREAT! It's too bad he is playing the Canopy Club though. :shrug:

I think HighDive is a better venue, although there was talk he was going to play Krannert.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Have you guys heard Sufjan yet? If not, you better check it out!!! I'll warn you, there is heavy use of non-standard rock instrumentation, thus, leading to a very folky sound. But the end product is amazing. Songs like "Chicago" and , "The Man of Metropolis Steals our Hearts" are simply amazing. I didn't think that I would appreciate this type of music.

What are your thoughts on Sufjan?

It blew me away on first listen. I was expecting something more folk like since that was how a friend described him, but it was very misleading. When I described Illinois to a friend I said that if there were a movie about Illinois this would be the score. It has a very wide expansive sound. Some of my favorites are "John Wayne Gacy, jr." , "Decatur", "The Seer's Tower".

Back
Top Bottom