MERGED-->Stones to play at Super Bowl + Rolling Stones to play the Super Bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Rolling Stones to play the Super Bowl?

Well... in the "ya heard it here first" category... if this comes true, well... ya heard it here first.

I was playing Madden on my playstation and i remembered something that Mick had said at their concert at Giants Stadium the other night.

He said that they'd be playing the super bowl this year... and how it would be "giants vs. jets, right?" which of course got a big roar from the crowd. completely forgot about it until just now.

The rolling Stones would be GREAT for the Superbowl...

Imagine:

Start Me Up
Oh No, Not You Again
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

:drool:

WAY better that Macca *coughboringcough*

pepokiss said:
The rolling Stones would be GREAT for the Superbowl...

Imagine:

Start Me Up
Oh No, Not You Again
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

WAY better that Macca *coughboringcough*

:angry:
I saw Macca live last night and he was ANYTHING but boring! :)

funny, i barely remember Mick saying that at the show:drunk:

Chad better learn how to hold on to the snap if the Jets are going to make it

Numb1075 said:
funny, i barely remember Mick saying that at the show:drunk:

Chad better learn how to hold on to the snap if the Jets are going to make it

said it early on in the show... when he was talking about how they played madison square garden the other night, but that it's good to get back out into a football stadium.

Stones to play at Super Bowl

DETROIT - The Rolling Stones will take a brief break from touring to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show.

The rock 'n' roll greats will go on stage during the game Feb. 5 at Ford Field, the NFL said Tuesday.

"We are thrilled to perform for millions of fans at one of the most exciting and highly anticipated sporting events of the year," the band, which earlier in the day announced its European tour dates, said in a statement.

The Rolling Stones are currently touring North America to promote their latest album, "A Bigger Bang."

The NFL has a history of getting top acts for its halftime show.

Last season, the primary entertainer was former Beatle Paul McCartney.

That followed Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" in the 2004 game during a performance with Justin Timberlake.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051129/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_super_bowl_rolling_stones_5

Set List

01 - Brown Sugar
02 - Oh No, Not You Again
03 - Rough Justice
04 - Jumpin Jack Flash

and if they manage to add Gimme Shelter... :drool x 1000

PS: that's what I think should be the set list

BrownEyedBoy said:
They ARE the biggest act out there right now. :reject:

Not really when you consider the album has fallen from most of the charts and has yet to sell 2 million copies worldwide. On the touring side they are still hot, but it looks like U2 has overtaken them worldwide. The Vertigo Tour will finish in April of 2006 with a GROSS of $400 million worldwide which will be a new world record in the history of the planet. Whats more, the band could continue on for the rest of 2006 in Europe and North America if they felt like it, because the demand is there and was not met by the tour in 2005. Whats more, HTDAAB has sold over 9 million copies worldwide and is getting closer to 10 million.

The Stones do well enough on the concert circuit to be in the top 10, but the Stones have not been the biggest band in the world since 1981 and won't be any time soon until they release an album that can sell more copies than the tour can sell tickets.

Setlist should be:

1. Brown Sugar
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. Oh No Not You Again
4. Rough Justice

And maybe Jumping Jack Flash as the fifth song bonus! :drool:

It could also be:
1. Satisfaction
2. Rough Justice
3. Rain Fall Down
4. Start Me Up

And then Brown Sugar as the fifth song bonus. :drool:

OR maybe:
1. Rough Justice
2. It's Only Rock N' Roll (But I Like It)
3. Tumbling Dice
4. Jumping Jack Flash

And then Satisfaction as the fifth song bonus. :drool:

Anything they do wil be perfect! :rockon:

STING2 said:

Not really when you consider the album has fallen from most of the charts and has yet to sell 2 million copies worldwide. On the touring side they are still hot, but it looks like U2 has overtaken them worldwide. The Vertigo Tour will finish in April of 2006 with a GROSS of $400 million worldwide which will be a new world record in the history of the planet. Whats more, the band could continue on for the rest of 2006 in Europe and North America if they felt like it, because the demand is there and was not met by the tour in 2005. Whats more, HTDAAB has sold over 9 million copies worldwide and is getting closer to 10 million.

The Stones do well enough on the concert circuit to be in the top 10, but the Stones have not been the biggest band in the world since 1981 and won't be any time soon until they release an album that can sell more copies than the tour can sell tickets.
The Stones don't market their albums nearly as much as U2 does. If they did there's no doubt on my mind that they would sell as much as U2. They could have at least 5 great singles off the new albuma and if they did a great video for each of them and went on late night shows and did all U2 does they would sel as much as our beloved U2 sells.

The FCC went nuts when Janet showed boob

they're gonna be mad when Keith's appendages start falling up during the show, and there's a pagan ritual to put him back together :ohmy:

TheBrazilianFly said:

The Stones don't market their albums nearly as much as U2 does. If they did there's no doubt on my mind that they would sell as much as U2. They could have at least 5 great singles off the new albuma and if they did a great video for each of them and went on late night shows and did all U2 does they would sel as much as our beloved U2 sells.

The Rolling Stones do a lot of promotion for both the tour and album. They always announce the tour in a dramatic fasion which guess massive worldwide coverage on all the major media outlets. In addition the Rolling Stones play at major awards shows, make videos for their songs, do interviews etc.

Besides, its the record company that does most of the marketing for the album anyway in both cases. The Stones signed a deal for a commercial with a US phone company to help promote the tour an album.

The fact is, people love the Stones in concert, but only the more hardcore fans pay attention to the albums regardless of the quality of the albums.

STING2 said:

The fact is, people love the Stones in concert, but only the more hardcore fans pay attention to the albums regardless of the quality of the albums.

And if they hadn't charged so damn much for decent tickets, I would have gone to see the Stones when they came to Detroit last summer. :grumpy:

Since the Super Bowl is in Detroit next month, many Detroiters -- including this one -- are quite insulted that the NFL didn't choose a Motown or Detroit act for the halftime show. Yes, Eminen never would made it past the censors. But if they wanted a rock act, what about Kid Rock, Mitch Ryder, Bob Seger, or The White Stripes?

At least Stevie Wonder is playing the pregame show. :up:

jobob said:
But if they wanted a rock act, what about Kid Rock, Mitch Ryder, Bob Seger, or The White Stripes?

because kd rock, mitch ryder and bob seger suck.

the white stripes are good... but, hey... i'm guessing the meeting at NFL headquarters went something like this...

white stripes, rolling stones, rolling stones, white stripes... who would bring in the higher ratings... :hmm:... it's gotta be the white stripes!

STING2 said:

The Rolling Stones do a lot of promotion for both the tour and album. They always announce the tour in a dramatic fasion which guess massive worldwide coverage on all the major media outlets. In addition the Rolling Stones play at major awards shows, make videos for their songs, do interviews etc.

Besides, its the record company that does most of the marketing for the album anyway in both cases. The Stones signed a deal for a commercial with a US phone company to help promote the tour an album.

I didn't say anything about the tour, I said about the albums. They don't do as much as U2 does. I think if they pushed Rough Justice the way U2 pushed for Vertigo on every show they would get a big hit. The Stones don't do SNL or go to Late Shows or to MTV or whatever. U2 does and I think that makes a huge difference. I know it's the record company that does most of the promotion but if artists as big as U2 and The Stones wants more or don't want too much of it the record company will do as they say in the end. I just think that if The Stones came out with a record as goods as A Bigger Bang and did a lot of promotion the album would be much more successful. But I guess they must hate doing that stuff.

a lot of people are making a joke out of that, considering that the average age of the rolling stones is 112, but they make a point... the people involved will have to stand around for hours and then rush on and off of the field quickly. it's not like they're going to expect that of mick and keith... but frankly, mick could probably do it.

Back
Top Bottom