MERGED --> Steve Irwin (aka Crocodile Hunter) dead?? + Terri Irwin Interview - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Wow, what are the chances?

Sad day, although I can't say I was a fan (although I did find his shows interesting in a curious way) his work stands as a testament to the kind of man he was. My heart goes out to his wife and kids, who must be absolutely devastated.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:52 AM
I think the reason hardly anyone has ever been killed by a stingray is that most people avoid contact with stingrays especially giant ones. In his line of work, Steve Irwin constantly placed himself in the line of fire in his efforts to both educate and entertain the public.

I think that after the initial shock and sadness has diminished, there may be a discussion about the methods used by naturalists to bring us wonders of the animal world. Some nature programs have no interaction with the animals while others show individuals becoming totally intimate with dangerous species. Personally, I prefer shows like Nature, Blue Planet or Planet Earth as opposed to the adventure type shows.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:22 AM
My brother told me this and I couldn't believe it. It's really too bad
Old 09-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:22 AM
I was shaken by this news too. Even more upset though at the insensitivity of my students, and even my supervisor this morning at work who all agreed that "it was bound to happen."

I mean, he was risking his life to educate the world, but he did it because he loved it. It saddens me to hear others ridicule people who are this passionate.

Whats so wrong with being passionate for a cause? For actually doing a job that you love, that makes a difference in this world?

Grr! Sorry, just wanted to vent. RIP Steve.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Should steve be made a saint of natural history ?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
I was shaken by this news too. Even more upset though at the insensitivity of my students, and even my supervisor this morning at work who all agreed that "it was bound to happen."

I mean, he was risking his life to educate the world, but he did it because he loved it. It saddens me to hear others ridicule people who are this passionate.
I don't think people were necessarily ridiculing the man but questioning his methods. We can be educated about the natural world without having people risk their lives to do so but it wouldn't be as exciting or entertaining. Sadly, our society has an attention span of about 30 seconds and people generally won't sit and watch a documentary about the habitat and life of an alligator taken with a telephoto lens and narrated by British voice. But if a person is next to the alligator and could possibly die, well, now you have an audience.

Steve Irwin was an honourable man who died way too soon.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Steve Irwin constantly placed himself in the line of fire in his efforts to both educate and entertain the public.

Yes Trev, I agree.
When I heard that Steve had died, I immediately thought of an old friend of mine that passed away recently, Tim Treadwell.

Tim and I worked together in California as bartenders before he became an avid wildlife researcher for Grizzly bears. He unfortunately encountered a more horrifying death.

Here's a couple of links to his story;

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

http://www.grizzlypeople.com/home1.php
Old 09-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:22 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I watched "Grizzly Man" recently (a documentary about Timothy Treadwell) and found it fascinating.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

I don't think people were necessarily ridiculing the man but questioning his methods.
The ironic thing is that the circumstances of his death sound far less dangerous than a lot of his other methods, but all the details have not come out yet.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #116
Blue Crack Distributor

That's what I was thinking...it almost sounded like he was doing something a lot of people do, but more likely as not he was WAY too close to the stingray
Old 09-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In the end, he did work with wild animals so there was always the risk.
I'm surprised he still had 10 fingers and 10 toes, actually. To survive that long working with crocodiles and not lose a limb is an achievement.
I used to watch his show all the time as a kid and liked to do impressions of him. I've caught his Croc Files show a few times off and on, and I was always excited when he was a late night guest. He was good friends with Jay Leno, so I wonder if he'll say anything.

The stingray was only protecting himself, and I guess Steve just wanted to teach us one big lesson before he left. Animals are animals.

Thanks Steve, I miss you already.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

at least it was better this way, really

a SHOT of a stingray sounds painful, but also quick, so I hope he didn't suffer that much

that, in MY head, is WAY better that if he was killed by a crocodile or any other thing
Old 09-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #119
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:22 PM
I think it's believed he had a heart attack, it wasn't that he was stung. The barb pierced his heart. I swam with a stingray once and from my pathetically limited understanding, it seems he might have been alongside it or somewhere other than above it. They're graceful in their own way, but simply due to their flatness I dont think manoeuvrability is a key feature of their physical build. Nasty accident.

His death has really saddened me.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

There's a whole biography thing on him right now on animal planet...started about ten minutes ago